Anyone Undercoat their Shelby?

Trubble

Established Member
After recently having watched a Modern Marvels episode on salt I won't be driving mine until we've had a few rain showers to rinse it from the roadways. Rock salt is the cheapest road treatment for cash-strapped states by 30X, meaning the shit is everywhere in icy winter months. Salt water is EXTREMELY corrosive.

If I lived in a colder state I'd have an under-body rust coating put on.

Which leads to my question - has anyone undercoated/rustproofed their car?

Don't drive mine in winter, just askin'...

03reptile

Established Member
Oil based (spray on) undercoating is death for a car. It will harden with age, separate from the panels, causing gaps where moisture and rust form. Undercoating ruined my beloved BMW 2002 TI. I would never use ANY kind of undercoating on my cars. At best its sound deadening.

Last edited:

eagle eye

Established Member
Oil based (spray on) undercoating is death for a car. It will harden with age, separate from the panels, causing gaps where moisture and rust form. Undercoating ruined my beloved BMW 2002 TI. I would never use ANY kind of undercoating on my cars. At best its sound deadening.

I don't know what brand of undercoating you used on your BMW but to maintain your warranty with Ziebart, your required to have annual resprays. This is supposed to cover those area's that may flake off.
I've had good results with Ziebart on my daily drivers.

03reptile

Established Member
I don't know what brand of undercoating you used on your BMW but to maintain your warranty with Ziebart, your required to have annual resprays. This is supposed to cover those area's that may flake off.
I've had good results with Ziebart on my daily drivers.

Glad it's working for you. My BMW was a new 1971, and the 2002's were known for rusting. The BMW dealer used the best brand available. Todays cars are so improved concerning their use of rust proof panels and the use of lower section plastics, that it really isn't necessary, IMHO. We get plenty of snow and road salt use in Md. I simply hose out the wheel wells and undercarriage after the roads clear. No rust on any of my cars since the BMW debacle!

HighVelocity

Established Member
I clear coated the underside, driveshaft ends, rear diff, nuts, bolts, sway bars.......as much running gear as possible. It will never see salt......but i wanted something that would protect yet look factory.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I used some (gasp!) AC Delco rubberized undercoating on the exposed surfaces of the underbody behind the front wheels and in the rear wheel wells. I hear an awful lot of pebbled that the tires kick up hitting something under the car. I dont drive in the rain or snow but I wanted to make sure the e-coat, etc does not get chipped from the debris. I already installed side splitters and the small front mud flaps to keep this crap off the paint. I'm too late to prevent all of it since the dealer owner drove the car for a few months before I bought it. I hope it stops it from getting worse.

Users who are viewing this thread