Anyone tried to convert the 2007-09 gt500 grill to resemble the 2014?

Presa

Established Member
Has anyone tried to modify their 2007-09 GT500 upper and lower grill (machine cut out the center honeycomb portions leaving only the corners and cobra emblem) to resemble the 2014 GT500's??

I have seen some pics of some poor attempts, and it looked like a backyard job of course. But, what about a professional job done by a body shop or custom shop? Besides better aesthetics, the air flow is improved is it not?

Thoughts? Ideas? anyone hears of an aftermarket grill that resembles the 2014 open concept?

justablur91

Established Member
i cut my lower grill, came out really clean but i really wish somebody would start making and open style for the 07-09

Last edited:

Presa

Established Member
great! I heard it was a bit#h to get the lower grill off. How did you cut it, and did you leave the solid corners and emblem in tact?

My other thought was to take the grills out completely (not sure how it would look? Unfinished maybe?), and weld the Cobra emblem onto a post from the back....

justablur91

Established Member
i just cut my lower grill, you have to remove bumper to remove the grill (easy) then i cut out the center section with an air saw sanded everything smooth looks factory could never tell it was even cut. do not take both grills out completely it will look like total crap trust me. im going to PM you

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm going to do this to my 08s grill when my car gets out of storage. I can get a decent price on a new one if I hate it. Im a painter at a Gm dealership so I'm going to make it nice and repaint it smooth black . If I like the top I wil, do the bottom too.

Hey justablur have any pics of yours?

Last edited:

justablur91

Established Member
This was before i painted those white bumper tabs black, you can hardly notice them now

ynHHbqo.png

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I started a thread a while back on the same subject. I never ended up doing anything, the only thing I came close to doing was ordering the upper and lower grill inserts from cervinis. I also wish there was a kit IR something for our front grills, I'm not crazy about the honeycombs.

Presa

Established Member
I think I will contact Cervini and see what interest there is in producing a 2014 look alike grill. I mean you have 2007-09 model years as a potential sales market. And!! everyone likes to "freshen up" there ride every now and then with something new. Kinda like a new girlfriend ;)

See what happens..................

Presa

Established Member
I think I will contact Cervini and see what interest there is in producing a 2014 look alike grill. I mean you have 2007-09 model years as a potential sales market. And!! everyone likes to "freshen up" there ride every now and then with something new. Kinda like a new girlfriend ;)

See what happens..................

Here was my question and reply from CERVINI:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the input. I’ll pass your email up to Marketing for review. Check back with us or sign up for our news letter for new product releases.

Thank you,
Cervini’s

Greetings,

I have been on several Shelby SVT/Mustang forums where guys are cutting out the center sections of their 2007-2009 GT500(Honeycomb) upper and lower grills, to resemble the stock grills on the new 2014 GT500’s.

Does CERVINI have any plans to offer an aftermarket replacement grill to fit the 2007-2009 GT500 model years, that would resemble or replicate the 2014 GT500 open concept grills? I think the interest in this is growing by the minute.

Many thanks,

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I contemplated contacting Seibon to see if they could make one but I think it would be pretty expensive right off the bat due to all the work involved. I just wanted to wait until I had more saved up before contacting them. However, I bet we could offer or see about a group buy for those that are interested to see what the say?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Well I just sent Seibon an email asking about creating such a grill and if a group buy would help persuade them to create them. I will keep everyone posted with their answer.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm still trying to decide what to do with the sides of the honeycomb after the middle is cut out, I could cut out the entire portion but it may looks crappy, I could also make some plates and cover them up and have it solid looking..... hummmm

I would LOVE to have one that looked just like the 2013 etc but fit. I'd be in on a group buy for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread