Anyone traveled to Italy?

Burninout101

Established Member
Well, been thinking about popping the question (marriage) to the GF soon and I know she will want to go to Italy for the Honeymoon. She has talked about it for a couple years now. When I ask we will be dating for a little over 5.5 years so I have listened to what and where she would like to go for a couple years now. I hear ranges from 2k-18k from people who have heard from people but no one who has actually paid the bill themselves. A friend went for his company and they footed the bill which he does not know what it ran. So anyone headed over and spent time there? I know off season matters for what it is worth it will be in the first part of Jan. Thanks

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
When I was in Ireland in April I had some friends go over to Italy for 4 nights or so.

He was in a nice hotel and I think paid around 180 a night for a great view and a balcony over a river? (for lack of a better word).

The best part is that his flight from Ireland to Italy was around 38 bucks a piece roundtrip.

akula51

Me
Established Member
Avoid Milan. Don't want to add a big shopping bill to the tab...laugh. It's nice but definitely don't wind up there in August like I did, the whole country takes the month off. It was nice going to 10:00am meetings and stopping off for a beer on the way back to the office like it was no big deal. Take a digital camera and an external drive or a whole bunch of film. Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz. Delta Vacations. American Vacations. They all have packages that can give you an idea of what you want to do and where you want to go...

Ack

darkhorse276

Established Member
i was there for a week, but im not sure how much its cost. it was part of one of those ambassador programs so there was a solid fee for the whole thing. really nice though over there, big fan of venice myself

SHOLANDO

Established Member
My wife and I just got back from our 3rd trip to Italy (February 8 through February 25). Plan it all yourself, that's half the fun. We flew to Rome, took the train up to Florence (Firenze) and spent 3 days there. We then got a Rental car and drove to Tuscany, a small town called Greve-in-Chianti, went to an incredible winery (that we had visited before). Spent 3 nights there, then we drove down to Sorrento (south of Naples). That area is fantastic!!! We spent an incredible 6 nights at a place called La Minervetta http://www.laminervetta.com/index_ing.htm.Then we spent our last 3 nights in Rome.

We used frequent flyer miles to get a flight for $46.00 each! We saved a ton of money. However, we had to go OFF season, so it was a little cool there, but there were NO crowds!!

With the Euro doing so well against the dollar, it's more expensie to travel there. It costs $1.50 for each Euro (ouch).

We flew into Nice the first trip, and took a train to Florence
The 2nd trip, we flew into Munich and took the night train to FLorence
The 3rd trip we flew into RFOme and took the train to Florence

As you can see we love FLorence. There is so much to see, and the city isn't too big.

The BEST time to go is late September, the weather is perfect and the tourists are too bad.

The first thing to do is figure out how long you want to go. Remember, you CAN'T see everything. It's just a reason to go back.

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
If you want a nice honeymoon, spend they first couple of days in La Maddalena and the last 2 or 3 in Rome.

I lived in italy for 2.5 years, by far the best place I have every been.

Tom

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I went to Italy a couple months ago. If you really want to stay in the most beautiful place in the world, stick to Tuscany. Sienna and Florence are both VERY nice cities, although I would NOT suggest driving in the heart of either one of them. I never went to the north, so I don't know about Milan, Torin, or Venice. Stay away from Naples, and really that entire reason; it is completely awful at the moment and really does not feel safe.

I too am planning to have my honeymoon in Italy (Just have to find the girl now :lol:) and this is my plan. Rent a small house in the countrside of Tuscany for 10 days. Every major city is less than a day away, but out there it is entirely serene.

The next most amazing region is Umbria, in particular the Cities of Assisi (badass castle you can explore completely and freely) and Trevi. If you want any pictures of any parts of Italy, just shoot me a PM. I took over 1700 with my D80. :D

Also, don't be afraid to rent a car. I drove over 1000 miles and did not have one incident, and I'm only 18. Most of the cars are diesel so you can expect upwards of 40mpg even at 100mph. For us, it worked out to be much cheaper than taking trains, just something you might want to consider.
PS: You will absolutely love it, so just go.

Last edited:

Burninout101

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm pumped about it have some good amount of time to save for it so I feel comfortable about it. Anyone visit the Ferrari plants??

SHOLANDO

Established Member
I don't think you can tour the Factory, but the museum is right across the street. Plus the test tack is RIGHT THERE too!! You could hear the screaming Ferrari F1 Race car 2 miles away!! It was incredible! My wife swears it was Michael Schumacher out there in the car testing!

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
my g/f spent something lie 6 grand for a month, but she went with her college and changed cities and hotels every few days

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm pumped about it have some good amount of time to save for it so I feel comfortable about it. Anyone visit the Ferrari plants??

I visited the Museum which is unbelievably gorgeous. Don't forget Pagani, Lamborghini, Ducati, and Maserati are all within like 20 miles.

mmmmm
2001790693970111505_rs.jpg

And here is me next to it.
Italy1255.jpg

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Just wanted to say there is some great info here! I also am looking to travel to Italy... thanks for all the input and to the O.P.

Users who are viewing this thread