ANYONE THOUGHT ABOUT CUTTING THE STOCK COILS???

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Dont make me sound like a ricer or anything, but I was thinking about cutting one coil off the rear sprihgs to even out the rake. It just looks like the rear is so much higher than the front. I dont really want to spend the cash on springs either, because the car is already lower than GT's. Would you guys not recommend cutting the stock rear springs? Could it potentially cause damage? I have many ricer friends and they suggested it ro me, but I wanted an honest opinion before I bust out the hack saw :bash:

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
Dont make me sound like a ricer or anything, but I was thinking about cutting one coil off the rear sprihgs to even out the rake. It just looks like the rear is so much higher than the front. I dont really want to spend the cash on springs either, because I the car is already lower than GT's. Would you guys not recommend cutting the stock rear springs? Could it potentially cause damage? I have many ricer friends and they suggested it ro me, but I wanted an honest opinion before I bust out the hack saw :bash:

I would think bigger tires would be in order. 19's?

Rwick7

Established Member
do NOT do it.

It'll ride like crap. Springs are only 200 bucks. I think it sits fine personally, and it rides soooooo smooth.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I saw this guys 03 and I love the stance!! these are H&R's,,,before and after

cobra1.JPG

cobra2.JPG

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
I saw this guys 03 and I love the stance!! these are H&R's,,,before and after

Are those different wheels, tires AND springs? Or just different wheels and tires.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I read the guy's post when he did it...they are '99/'01 springs of a lesser rate for those year Cobras. Believe it or not, that lowering job actually made the car ride softer!

If anything I'd either wait for a maker to get a set of springs engineered for us, for have H&R custom make you a set of springs for a drop of .5 inch front, 1 to 1.5 inch rear, no more. Any more than that and risk geometry problems with the otherwise stock setup...

But I have to admit it does look totally awesome. Kinda like this SVT promo photo:

Rwick7

Established Member
There is no way that car rides softer on those springs...it looks lik H&R race springs to me and those are REAL harsh. He also added 18" wheels and that makes a bid difference also...here is a pic of my previous car with a 1 1/4 drop and 18's...it rode like crap...but handled well.

162609_1_full.jpg

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I read the guy's post when he did it...they are '99/'01 springs of a lesser rate for those year Cobras. Believe it or not, that lowering job actually made the car ride softer!

If anything I'd either wait for a maker to get a set of springs engineered for us, for have H&R custom make you a set of springs for a drop of .5 inch front, 1 to 1.5 inch rear, no more. Any more than that and risk geometry problems with the otherwise stock setup...

But I have to admit it does look totally awesome. Kinda like this SVT promo photo:

I gotta admit, that black is SHARP! And dropped?! ...what can I say... SHARP!

Just don't drop it too much, or you won't be able to clear the chunks of tire rubber on the strip. :)

CobraTone

Established Member
It sits lower than my old GT, that's all I care about. Then again, I'm not into modding my suspension after I witnessed my buddy royally screw his stang up with suspension mods.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Originally posted by Rwick7
There is no way that car rides softer on those springs...it looks lik H&R race springs to me and those are REAL harsh. He also added 18" wheels and that makes a bid difference also...here is a pic of my previous car with a 1 1/4 drop and 18's...it rode like crap...but handled well.

162609_1_full.jpg

You can see the springs in the pic...? :dw:

Also, your car with the 1.5 inch drop and 18's looks like it's actually at stock height...?

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Originally posted by Rwick7
trublu01gt1.jpg

There is a better view. It was 1 1/4 drop...stock GT's sit like 4x4's

:-D

Sweet ride dude. It almost looks like the '03's...it's riding a little lower in the front than the '03 is.

Yeah, I have no idea why Ford made the Mustangs to where they rode higher in the saddle than a Crown Vic...! But after I drove around Dearborn in January I can partially understand...but then I couldn't understand why anybody would want to live in a place with such rotten roads. :uh oh: :shrug:

Silver 03 Cobra

Bryan it will ride a little rougher but only cut 1/2 coil. One coil will slam it. I would like to lower my rear also but hate to buy a set of springs just for the rear. The front is just about right.

Also remember that you need to get a wheel alignment if you lower the front/rear.

Rwick7

Established Member
Asheville - I remember thinking the same thing when I was in Detroit during the winter. :xpl:

degradated

Established Member
You ARE a ricer if you cut your springs, especially on such a nice, brand new car. As soon as you screw with that, you are changing the spring rates and could severely affect how the car handles/performs. If you want to lower it, do it the right way. Cutting springs is never the answer.

david smilovic

Established Member
I will be doing a spring lowering test in conjunction with Eibach on 3 Cobras,they will drop 1"rr and 3/4" frt. and will be progressive rate.Progressive rate start firmer and lower than stock and along with the Konis on 4 wheel soft should make a great combo.
When you move to an 18" wheel the tire moves down to a 35 series so speedo /traction control and ABS wprk in proper geometry and wont feed trouble codes to the motor so the car stays 99.9b same height,same on 19's and you will bastardize your handling,always lower body to wheel for handling improvements.Even the Z 1 of the best domestic handlers are lowered 1" all round and can be done stock from Chevy in 10 minutes a wheelto go lower there are bolts to go 2" on that car 1" is sweet and needs alignment,Good Luck.Dave S.

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by david smilovic
I will be doing a spring lowering test in conjunction with Eibach on 3 Cobras,they will drop 1"rr and 3/4" frt.

Please post pics if you can. I'd definitely like to see that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread