Anyone think of doing a Propane conversion?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I've been reading up on this for a while, and I've even experimented around with it a bit on my lawnmower.

I know Roush makes a propane powered F150 and and lots of taxi fleets (Crown Vics) run on Propane.

Turns out it's a pretty simple conversion, they just use different fuel injectors, lines, tank, etc.

Propane, like E-85 has a higher resistance to detonation, which allows you to run higher compression and more timing.

Plus, it's MUCH cleaner burning. There'll be no carbon buildups.

Roush Propane | Horsepower Magazine

ROUSH Propane - Pick-Ups

As far as engine modifications go, you don't really need to do anything to get it to run on propane, besides the obvious fuel system. However, you can increase the compression and timing to take advantage of the fuel.

I converted my 3.5HP briggs mower to run on propane. I bought it at a pawn shop for $40 bucks with a gummed up carb and a fouled plug. Wouldnt start on gasoline.

I mounted the blue bottle using a fire extinguisher bracket, used a blow torch nozzle and cut the end off, attaching the hose to the nozzle. I use the knob for throttle control. I ran the hose directly into an extra port on the carburetor. Started right up on the first pull.

Since then, I shaved the head to increase the compression.. I shaved it down as far as it would go without any valve clearance issues. Probably increased compression by a couple points. I also bought an offset flywheel key from a go kart racing company. Bumped the ignition timing by 9 degrees. For giggles, I also added an E3 diamondfire plug, and Royal Purple racing oil.

With propane, you never have to change the fouled plugs, the oil stays much MUCH cleaner... there are no carbon deposits, and it has similar performance advantages to E-85.

I'm also thinking of converting my 13.5KW generator to run on propane... that way I don't have to worry about spoiled gas..

Since Roush makes a conversion kit for the F-150, I have no doubt that they "can" make a similar kit to work on a mustang. It even works with the FACTORY COMPUTER!!!

Plus, the cost of propane or Natural Gas is must lower than gasoline. Sure, the car will burn more than it will gas because it contains less energy, but the cost per mile will be much lower because propane costs much less. Not to mention, propane doesn't have all the pesky highway taxes that gasoline has.. It's not taxed as much... if you know where to buy it. And there's no way of telling if it's "off road" or "for highway use" like they do with dyed "off road diesel".

With a carburetor setup, it's REAL easy to do a propane conversion... just replace your carb with a propane carb.

The key is building the motor to take advantage of the different fuel... higher compression being the main deal.

What do you all think?

Oh, just for fun, here's a couple youtube videos of my mower running on propane and for even more fun.... MAPP gas.. haha.. enjoy.

YouTube - Souped Up 3.5 HP Mower Running on Propane (1 of 2)
YouTube - Souped Up 3.5 HP Mower Running on MAPP Gas (2 of 2)

So, let's get a good discussion going here about the benefits of running propane, the ease of conversion for a mustang, and the costs of running it vs. gasoline.

Homer

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
We have propane trucks at work. They are f350's, the suck to start. They have a significant loss of power after converted to run on LP. The LP setup is a weird carb set up, and if your not nice to it, it sucks the cone in that regulates air, then requires service. Bad idea IMO.

Ironhand

Banned
As stated before. Its been done before but Propane require large tanks that would be too large for a typical car. Also the valve seats have to be hardened.

I had an old friend that would use propane as the fuel to his nitrous noid. It worked out extremely well. His small propane tank would last him through 20lbs of nitrous before it had to be refilled. His ported Eaton and spray 03 was a very nasty contender and was known for taking out TS Cobras with ease.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
We have propane trucks at work. They are f350's, the suck to start. They have a significant loss of power after converted to run on LP. The LP setup is a weird carb set up, and if your not nice to it, it sucks the cone in that regulates air, then requires service. Bad idea IMO.

Heh. Interesting. Yea, it probably takes a second to start to be able to suck the propane down from the carb flange down into the intake.

I know a lot of rock crawler people use propane because it works at any angle.

The Roush F150 propane kit is top notch factory fit and finish though. It's controlled by the factory computer, and has its own set of fuel rails and injectors. I think there may have been an episode of "Trucks" on Spike about it a year or so ago.

You don't need a HUGE tank, not prohibitively huge, anyways. They make automotive-grade propane tanks that replace the factory fuel tank.

If Roush made a kit designed for mustangs & performance applications, it would open a lot of doors!

Save a lot of money on gas, that's for sure!

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Ive been interested in this for a long time. Was hoping roush would adapt that f150 kit for other ford v8 vehicles including the mustang. We dont have e85 in my area, but propane is easy to find. I think it would be an interesting fuel to run and tune.

Users who are viewing this thread