Anyone swapped to a TH400?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just curious, has anyone here swapped to a TH400 on their Mod motor car? Street/Strip or all out race? Looking for opinions and experiences. If I did, Id go manual valve body/electric trans brake with a Gear Vendors electric overdrive unit. Only issue I see is a vehicle speed sensor missing from the trans, but I suppose thats been solved by someone? Maybe?

Im not set on a 400 swap into my car by any means, but the thought of an auto swap has crossed my mind before. A swap to a 6R80 for a GT500 is INVOLVED if I want it to shift on its own. I was originally hopeful that the US Shift Quick6 controller would be the answer for an easier swap, but a few sources indicate its not 100%. I could be wrong.

Justin's Performance Center has a few Turbo 400 kits ready to buy that *in theory* direct swap a TH400 into any Mod powered car, includes driveshaft too.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@badcobra

Not sure if that tag worked but he’s running about 1500wp through one.

From what I’ve seen, they are about as strong as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
**** yeah!

I did a little more research, looks like the GM 4L80E is a factory overdrive version of the TH400.. and probably has the VSS output Id need to retain factory speedo function. Apparently there are also manual valve bodies for the 4L80 too....

F me, down another rabbit hole haha

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What's the setup on your car @RedVenom48?
Currently stock, but I'm pulling the engine sometime next year for stronger rods, timing system and cams, depending on funds I'll go return system and injectors for ethanol.

Ultimately, I want one of those new TVS 3100 blowers when they launch.

I will say, overdrive is important to me as I still want to road trip this car. Unsure from my current research if a TH400 with Gear Vendors OD tailshaft or 4L80 is better. Still have no idea if there are shifters available to manual shift for the 1/4 or Mexico then normal Drive mode for cruising.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Currently stock, but I'm pulling the engine sometime next year for stronger rods, timing system and cams, depending on funds I'll go return system and injectors for ethanol.

Ultimately, I want one of those new TVS 3100 blowers when they launch.

I will say, overdrive is important to me as I still want to road trip this car. Unsure from my current research if a TH400 with Gear Vendors OD tailshaft or 4L80 is better. Still have no idea if there are shifters available to manual shift for the 1/4 or Mexico then normal Drive mode for cruising.
I think you should slow down some and really think this through. Once you put a 400 or 4l80 in, your days of daily driving and road trips are most likely over. Even with the OD from a GV or a 4l80, it's not anything like what you have going now. This type of swap isn't for everyone so make sure

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
A Glide or 400 swap in a car for the purpose of going fast down a drag strip are not going to be road trip friendly. Big stall, non lockup converters make a bunch of heat. A 6R/10R with a lockup converter is going to be the best option for that. Even then if you want to make big power and go fast, you're going to lose the ability to truly drive the car as a street car. Big stall converters and shifts that knock your teeth out get old quickly.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Call Jake’s Performance and get a quote. The 4L80 will do what you need, he has had them hold fine at the levels you’re talking. You have options, fmvb or rmvb with trans take and lockup though I can’t remember if the rmvb still has engine braking. Without a computer the trans brake is just a 3 wire setup for brake and tcc. You can always use a standalone trans controller as well. Call Jake, he’s a vet and straight shooter...maybe a bit ornery but makes a damn good trans.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just curious, has anyone here swapped to a TH400 on their Mod motor car? Street/Strip or all out race? Looking for opinions and experiences. If I did, Id go manual valve body/electric trans brake with a Gear Vendors electric overdrive unit. Only issue I see is a vehicle speed sensor missing from the trans, but I suppose thats been solved by someone? Maybe?

Im not set on a 400 swap into my car by any means, but the thought of an auto swap has crossed my mind before. A swap to a 6R80 for a GT500 is INVOLVED if I want it to shift on its own. I was originally hopeful that the US Shift Quick6 controller would be the answer for an easier swap, but a few sources indicate its not 100%. I could be wrong.

Justin's Performance Center has a few Turbo 400 kits ready to buy that *in theory* direct swap a TH400 into any Mod powered car, includes driveshaft too.

Just throwing this out there... I’d buy your your tr6060 , clutch, pp, and flywheel, if you wanna sell?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think you should slow down some and really think this through. Once you put a 400 or 4l80 in, your days of daily driving and road trips are most likely over. Even with the OD from a GV or a 4l80, it's not anything like what you have going now. This type of swap isn't for everyone so make sure
After a few more days looking into this, I think if a swap were to take place, it would be to a 4L80 and an HGM stand alone controller. I found that TCI makes a ratchet shifter specifically for my car. Ill be giving HGM a buzz to see if their controller can give me the shifter performance and options I want. Id probably have to swap down to 3.55s in my diff.

A swap wont be like driving her now, but thats ok.... Im secretly admitting to myself that Im not much of a fan of the manual anymore, at least for boost. I got to recondition a 2012 Boss 302 for work once. That car, even with the MT-82, felt amazing to drive.

A Glide or 400 swap in a car for the purpose of going fast down a drag strip are not going to be road trip friendly. Big stall, non lockup converters make a bunch of heat. A 6R/10R with a lockup converter is going to be the best option for that. Even then if you want to make big power and go fast, you're going to lose the ability to truly drive the car as a street car. Big stall converters and shifts that knock your teeth out get old quickly.
Agree, and shortly after I posted I went down the rabbit hole further and found that the 4L80 was GM's way of updating the TH400 w/ overdrive to get another 10-15 years out of "Ol' Reliable".

At this point Ford nailed the rear ends with the 9", GM nailed the transmissions with the Glide and TH400/4L80. After that, just pick your favorite car and engine.

Call Jake’s Performance and get a quote. The 4L80 will do what you need, he has had them hold fine at the levels you’re talking. You have options, fmvb or rmvb with trans take and lockup though I can’t remember if the rmvb still has engine braking. Without a computer the trans brake is just a 3 wire setup for brake and tcc. You can always use a standalone trans controller as well. Call Jake, he’s a vet and straight shooter...maybe a bit ornery but makes a damn good trans.
Will give them a look. Ive seen them recommended a bunch of times on Chevy forums for built cars. Im beyond lucky that I have Hughes Performance local to me, so thats probably where Ill go, but Jakes is high on the list.

Just throwing this out there... I’d buy your your tr6060 , clutch, pp, and flywheel, if you wanna sell?
Id have to think long and hard about it. Im leaning more toward keeping everything in case I get a hair up my ass about having a manual car again. As is, when my engine comes out Im sending the trans to get rebuilt with the updated Tremec syncro rings and pretty much a new 1-2 gear and syncro set. But if I get to a point were I want to get rid of the manual stuff, you'll have first dibs.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
To put this into perspective, before I sold my camaro I had swapped over to a turbo 400. I don’t know how much power you’re talking about making but it was a boosted big inch small block. I want to say I was running a 3.23 rear and a 28” tire which meant I was going into 2nd around 60ish and 3rd at 105ish. Capping out close to 160 on the limiter at 6200.

With overdrive you could significantly go lower than I did in gearing and still have excellent street manners with the ability to cruise locked. That 2.48 first is awesome with boost and a bit higher gear.

coposrv

Established Member
Yuck. I strongly recommend spending time around a car with a PG th400 or other older built high stall autos. It might not be what you’re after If this car plans to see any real road trip ability

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Yuck. I strongly recommend spending time around a car with a PG th400 or other older built high stall autos. It might not be what you’re after If this car plans to see any real road trip ability

Not likely to be an all the time road trip car. But I would like to jump in and visit San Diego or Las Vegas. I think the 4L80 is what I have been looking for. Its literally a Turbo 400 with overdrive and a lockup torque converter.

Oddly enough, Power By The Hour offers a front billet hub for the 6R80 that turns it essentially into a 4R"200"... which is a fancy way of saying "like a built 4L80". Only, the 4L80 doesnt force me to run a Coyote Auto PCM, replace the body side engine harness and trans harness, flash my ABS and Speedo to a VIN that isnt mine etc. I can simply bolt up a 4L80 with a Mod bellhousing and flex plate, run the HGM controller and harness and tap into the TPS signal. New driveshaft and TCI shifter and cooler but Id need those with a 6R80.

Im going to swing by Hughes Performance later this month and have a chat.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
First off how much power are u planning on making? IDN why ur stuck on the 4L80 over the 6r80. I highly doubt u will ever make enough HP to need a 4L80 over a 6r80.

A well built TH400 and a GV is gonna be expensive but will work perfectly fine on the street. Half the cars at drag week have that set up.

Better off going 6r80 route imo. A properly built one will handle 1500 hp. U dont need a TH400 or a 4L80 and ur not gonna like the TH400 on the street with how the converter works I guarantee that!

Its a drag race setup. Ive had them on several cars and work great at the track but doesn't even come close the ease of 6r80 on the street and u simply aren't going any faster on the street with it so what's the point?

Ur talking about doing a lot of nonsense with the 4L80 that just isn't gonna get u a better riding car. And the HUB that PBH sells doesn't turn it into anything like a 4L80 and ur fastest Coyote's are still running the 6r80 without the hub but plenty have gone fast with the hub. Its a waste of money!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
First off how much power are u planning on making? IDN why ur stuck on the 4L80 over the 6r80. I highly doubt u will ever make enough HP to need a 4L80 over a 6r80.

A well built TH400 and a GV is gonna be expensive but will work perfectly fine on the street. Half the cars at drag week have that set up.

Better off going 6r80 route imo. A properly built one will handle 1500 hp. U dont need a TH400 or a 4L80 and ur not gonna like the TH400 on the street with how the converter works I guarantee that!

Its a drag race setup. Ive had them on several cars and work great at the track but doesn't even come close the ease of 6r80 on the street and u simply aren't going any faster on the street with it so what's the point?

Ur talking about doing a lot of nonsense with the 4L80 that just isn't gonna get u a better riding car. And the HUB that PBH sells doesn't turn it into anything like a 4L80 and ur fastest Coyote's are still running the 6r80 without the hub but plenty have gone fast with the hub. Its a waste of money!
Probably a 800 to the wheels. Shooting for 1k but we will see if I ever get there.

So, why not the 6R80? Swap cost. To get a 6R80 to the same strength as a built 4L80, your talking 7-8K.

That doesnt include the Torque converter, GT auto harnesses, GT automatic ECU core, shifter and other odds and ends I need to convert to 6R80. Then factor that Im basically programming my car to an automatic Mustang GT VIN in the ECU, ABS and speedo computers, then need a custom tune that only Lund seems to provide. That alone is another 3-4k maybe closer to 5k.

OR

Jake's built 4L80 good to 1000hp for a Mod motor with a D1 transbrake, TCI Streetfighter shifter for S197, torque converter, driveshaft and an HGM fully electronic controller with harness for about 8K all in.

Im under no illusions that this is a "cheap" swap. But an extra 3-5k to run a 6R80 built to the same strength of a 4L80.. Ill take the 4L80 and far less brain damage.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Might be over thinking this for 800-1000rwhp in a GT500 as I really like the S197 GT500 at this level while keeping a manual.
Something for driving to the track, running 9s and driving home.
Basic build TR6060 or Mag XL with a triple disc organic XClutch for street strip.
Now if the primary goal is max 1/4 mile while still being able to take a long cruise, I see the built auto. and agree the 4L80 does make more sense than a GV.
But it’s hard to argue when built 6R80s have gone deep 7s.
I actually have a Lasala built billet 6R and Circle D converter I’d let go for the $5k I have in it, but I have no problem keeping it (great back up for the GT500 if I don’t use it in the 7s Fox project).
-J

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Another member on here is running the TH400/GV setup, I think it's micah442 or something to that effect.

I've got a friend with a TH400 in his turbo Cobra, and I've got a built, stalled TH400 in my Cutlass. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's undriveable on the street, in fact my Cutlass is a total street car and it's just fine around town. But you just have to deal with it screaming on the highway, depending on your rear gear/tire. I'm not on the highway that much anyway.

Personally I've looked at all the options. I was going to go TH400, especially with a spare one sitting around, but currently I think the 6R80 offers the best value/performance- if they can just get the controller sorted. I haven't heard quite as much issues with them lately.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Probably a 800 to the wheels. Shooting for 1k but we will see if I ever get there.

So, why not the 6R80? Swap cost. To get a 6R80 to the same strength as a built 4L80, your talking 7-8K.

That doesnt include the Torque converter, GT auto harnesses, GT automatic ECU core, shifter and other odds and ends I need to convert to 6R80. Then factor that Im basically programming my car to an automatic Mustang GT VIN in the ECU, ABS and speedo computers, then need a custom tune that only Lund seems to provide. That alone is another 3-4k maybe closer to 5k.

OR

Jake's built 4L80 good to 1000hp for a Mod motor with a D1 transbrake, TCI Streetfighter shifter for S197, torque converter, driveshaft and an HGM fully electronic controller with harness for about 8K all in.

Im under no illusions that this is a "cheap" swap. But an extra 3-5k to run a 6R80 built to the same strength of a 4L80.. Ill take the 4L80 and far less brain damage.

6R80 is going to be a lot nicer to drive than a 4L80. At that horsepower I'm not sure why you would go with a 4L80 over a 4R70 though. Then you don't have to buy a bellhousing or deal with clearance issues, it just bolts right in. You're going to have a manual switch for the converter lockup with either one. It's a pretty janky setup.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I totally agree that the 6R80 is a hell of a good trans and that it can be built up. But until a competent stand-alone controller is available, a 6R80 is just simply not going to happen for me. The extra parts and tuning/reprogramming labor to properly run the 6R80 is not worth the money to me.

As I stated earlier, I'm one of the poor SVTP owners and I can admit it. Maybe I get to swap my car, maybe not. It just won't be to a 6R80 unless the controllers are brought up to speed.

@biminiLX my car will be a manual for a while longer. I'm invested in the timing system, with the billet Shelby Mike tensioner arms being the last piece of that puzzle to safely run a 2-step. I see no other way of getting out of the hole effectively in a stick car, at least one that doesnt eventually destroy something.

I have hope that rebuilding my TR6060 with the updated 2nd gear syncro ring and the hybrid rings 1, 3 and 4 will make driving the car more enjoyable, especially shifting in the quarter mile. Maybe I avoid feeling like I need to swap, but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread