anyone shave with a straight razor?

306Stang

Established Member
not sure why but lately i've been interested shaving with a straight razor. this is a time honored tradition that i would love to learn.

i looked at some razors at a store and was floored by the prices. $105 was the cheapest blade and $250 was the high end. i went looking on the web and found blades anywhere from $40 all the way to 3-4k!

does anyone on here use this practice and if so what should i look for when buying the essentials? and what should i keep in mind?

Ohms

Established Member
Hopfully you dont get startled easily.

"And in tonights news, A local Man cut his own throat open when his door bell rang"

Common

Established Member
Why?

are you a rebel against easy and common sense things such as avoiding injury while shaving?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
With the advent of 3-4 blade pivoting razors why bother? I have a 3 blade and it shaves my face smooth as a baby's ass.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
technology is great, as it is safer. But utilizing surgical precision with a rudimentary piece of honed metal is a skill. and major props to anybody who can do it. Went to local barber a few years back- old timey place. barber (like 60's) gave me a hot shave with a straight razor..un-real

Lightning Steve

Established Member
Also go to an old time barber, went in the one day for a shave and instead of the usual old guy I got the shaky crack whore, she cut me twice. Good thing it's so sharpe, didn't even feel it.

cobracory

Established Member
I stick with my Mach3 Turbo at home and go once a month or so to a barber and get a hot shave there with a straight razor. Nothing like it!

I had the same barber take my beard off and I've been going back to him for the past 8 months.

And as others have said... let someone else do it. Or if you really want to do it yourself, make sure you practise and learn properly on a balloon first.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah at home i'll stick to my Mach3. lol.

I have been shaved by a old school barber with one though. Smoothest damn shave ever. I'd never ever ever try it on myself though. I like living...

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
i do, its how I do the outline of my "chin strap" it makes a perfect line. I found my grandfathers old one, sharpened up and works great. But I will say I have cut myself a few times, and it will bleed forever.

Oh yea, I just taught myself, youll catch on real fast what works and what hurts

ViciousJay

Established Member
i got a kit last christmas, included was a whole bunch of shaving creams and colonges and stuff... i use it time to time, like for a big date or something

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I've done it, but I really only do it for major events like black tie business functions, weddings, etc.

It takes me a while since you have to be so precise. I've cut myself twice, but they weren't too bad. The hardest area for me is the cheek/chin/neck transition.

Users who are viewing this thread