Anyone seriously considering buying a 07' Shelby?

buddha93

Established Member
I've been kicking it around with the wife a little and have given it some serious thought. Everything I didn't like about the GT's, the Shelby improved upon.....decklid, front fascia, foglights, etc. Not to mention the 500hp from the factory what's not to like......just don't bring up it's weight problem!:D

The only real kicker aside from the hefty price,(assuming they come down to MSRP anytime in the next year) is I don't have room for it. I have 4 vehicles and only a 2 car garage as it is now. So that means either :

A) I store it somewhere else
B) Sell the wifes SUV (ya right, like that will ever happen!)
c) Or.......sell the 93' Cobra. :cryying:

I'm not sure I could sell my present car, and I know years from now I'll be kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of it. :bash: But on the same measure, I could never buy a car like the Shelby and just park it in the driveway.......especially after forking out some serious dough for it.

I'm justifying it by telling myself I've never owed a brand new Mustang. Everyone I've ever had was used. I should just forget the whole idea and be happy with what I have, but I guess it's just the car guy in my always wanting more. :burnout:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Owning a "brand new" car is not such a big deal.... The excitement last until you get the first couple of payments made then come to the realization that you have 58 more to go (nowdays 70 more). Then you soon come to realize that depreciation is really setting in and you would loose $5K-$10k if you wanted to sell it yet its only a few months old. To me the only way reason to buy new is if you plan on keeping the car for 10+ years and drive the wheels off of it. After so many years depreciation slows down and you had many years of use to compensate for the $$$ you will never see again.

If I were ever to buy a Shelby or Ford GT... I would wait a couple of years and find the one that some old man or "collector" bought and rarely used (never modded). They will take the depreciation hit and you get a car thats good as new for thousands less.

carguy19

Established Member
+1

The shelbys will be selling for low to mid 30s by this time next year (i work in the car industry and you see things like this all the time) . Ford will overproduce them guaranteed. I feel bad for the people that paid 70K for them.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I only only guess with a novi 200 blown R331, its not exactly a daily driver, or probably driven that much right? Why not store that else where, giving you a garage space for the shelby?

buddha93

Established Member
cobra186 said:
If I were ever to buy a Shelby or Ford GT... I would wait a couple of years and find the one that some old man or "collector" bought and rarely used (never modded). They will take the depreciation hit and you get a car thats good as new for thousands less.

I've thought of that exact senario. I watched the same thing happen with the 03/04 Cobras.

As far as myself and cars in general, I hold on to them for a while. I kept my first Mustang 10 years and I've had my present Cobra 5. The Shelby would probably never leave my hands if I were buy one. I'm not looking for collector status here, I'm just looking at it as a new toy.......not a very good reason to drop 40+ k eh? :-D

And yes, my car isn't a daily driver. It spends most of the time in the garage, with me putting maybe 1000 miles on it a year.

At this point it's all talk. I have a 6 month old daughter now, so naturally priorities have shifted a little. I was just wondering if anyone here was considering unloading their 93' in pursuit of Fords latest offering. That way I wouldn't feel so guilty!:lol1:

jspalmer01

Established Member
buddha93 said:
I've thought of that exact senario. I watched the same thing happen with the 03/04 Cobras.

As far as myself and cars in general, I hold on to them for a while. I kept my first Mustang 10 years and I've had my present Cobra 5. The Shelby would probably never leave my hands if I were buy one. I'm not looking for collector status here, I'm just looking at it as a new toy.......not a very good reason to drop 40+ k eh? :-D

And yes, my car isn't a daily driver. It spends most of the time in the garage, with me putting maybe 1000 miles on it a year.

At this point it's all talk. I have a 6 month old daughter now, so naturally priorities have shifted a little. I was just wondering if anyone here was considering unloading their 93' in pursuit of Fords latest offering. That way I wouldn't feel so guilty!:lol1:

I had a similar scenario several years ago when they announced the 2003 Mach 1. Lot's more power stock than my 1993 Cobra, lots of potential with the aftermarket, LIMITED PRODUCTION ONE YEAR RUN ONLY 6,500 WILL BE MADE YADA YADA YADA. I bit on it and of course Ford lied, they eventually made almost 10000 units in 2003, and another 8000 units in 2004 and sold many with big rebates. I bought it because I thought it was something VERY SPECIAL. I now have my 1993 Cobra back in the stable. There are a lot of things to lure you to the new Shelby for sure. If you want it to drive the snot out of it go for it. If you are buying cus you think it will go up in value in the next 10 years I would not do it. Good luck with your decision.

CGoeschel

Established Member
Ive got one in transit right now. Had my 93 on ebay last couple of weeks with not much action, so I decided to keep it after the last winning bidder backed out. Im glad Im keeping it though and Ill post some pics of the 2 of them together when the Shelby arrives next week!

buddha93

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I looked at 2 new Shelby's at a show in August.

I think they look horrible in person

I've only seen the one that was at the Auto Show last January in St. Louis.
I'm still one of those people that has to really, really look the car over from all angles to make up my mind %100 if it's everything that I want. That's what I love about the '93.....classic good looks from every angle!:rockon:

Blacksally

Established Member
The shelbys will be selling for low to mid 30s by this time next year (i work in the car industry and you see things like this all the time) . Ford will overproduce them guaranteed. I feel bad for the people that paid 70K for them.

Feel bad?? I wouldn't. Whether you have the money or not, people who pay nearly twice what a car (or anything else..ie PS3) will be selling for in a year or so are strictly egotistical. Furthermore, they are supporting corporate greed.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
buddha93 said:
I've only seen the one that was at the Auto Show last January in St. Louis.
I'm still one of those people that has to really, really look the car over from all angles to make up my mind %100 if it's everything that I want. That's what I love about the '93.....classic good looks from every angle!:rockon:

yeah I know what you mean. I really thought the Shelby looked good in the pics before they hit the lots.

It was weird when I finally saw 2 at the MCA show this past August. The car looks really big. Even the fender snakes appear to be twice the size of the ones on our cars.

It looks more obese then it does muscular.

jleews6

Established Member
I have been thinking about getting a Shelby myself but I cant find one for MSRP and there is no way I will pay more than sticker. I lost 10 grand on my first 03 cobra so there is no way I will do that again. The other thing is that I have owned a ton of new cars and I have learned to let somebody buy it new so that way you can buy it when its about a year old with low miles and save a ton of money.
My first 03 was 33 grand and i bought it when most dealers were getting 3 to 5K over sticker. Then 7 months later when I went to sell it I had to give it away for $24500 and this was a car that was never wet or driven on the highway. it was like a brand new car.:rollseyes
Never again!

I say be patient and in time you will able to buy one for 35 grand.:pepper:

OH YA and DONT SELL YOUR 93: COBRA. when I had my 03 I had to many cars so I sold my 7000 mile Teal 93 Cobra and I regret that move every damn day.:cryying:

buddha93

Established Member
I can wait it out and see what the market does. I think $35k might be a stretch, but I think one could be had for $40k. I was surprised to see the $1300 Gas Guzzler Tax on these cars. Anyone remember what qualifies a car to be subject to this add-on?

Whatever I do, I think the 93' will stay. It's paid for, yearly PP tax is cheap as well as affordable insurance. I probably don't want to know what insurance on a 07' Shelby is......I'll be checking that out too.:(

racerbox77

Established Member
Just my opinion (but thats what your asking for) The Shelby needs to be lowered badly. Also the wheels are ugly ,change these things and find a way to lose about 300lbs. that MIGHT make it as fast and cool as your 331 blown 93. Maybe??

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
The Shelby is a big fat somewhat ugly pig. If I was gonna spend that much on a new car then I would get something attractive and sexy like a CTS-V with the "total" package. Or else i would stick with a small, nimble light 93 Cobra for pure performance.

svtdriven

Established Member
I bought the 93 cobra to be the weekend beater stang. I am now saving for either an 03/04 cobra or a 65-70 fastback.

the 07 gt500 isn't even on the radar. There are a lot of other cars I'd go for first, like a turbo supra, 05+ vette, cts-v, M3, M5, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new challenger and camaro are going to turn out.

I'm not saying the new shelby is a bad car, but I was turned off by a few key points on the car overall. Basically its just my opinion, but other car manufacturers are doing a lot more with their cars than ford is. Especially for the money.

The mustang has the worst interior of the entire ford line-up. my girlfriend's mazda3 has a higher quality interior than the mustang does, and its 10k cheaper than the mustang GT! don't blast me until you've been in the car. the mustang interior seems so rudimentry and basic, and so plasticy. I know the shelby has an upgraded interior, but the overall shape is the same.

I could go on with what I don't like about the car, but thats the whole point. With other cars, I can get in and be impressed, I guess I just expected more out of the new mustang. At least the end result is FAR better than how the charger turned out.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
It's an overblown piece of plastic, ugly from all angles, restomod Mustang
with the Shelby name stuck to it.:fart:

My :bowdown: '93 has that POS so far gone in comparison I won't start to enumerate the many ways!!!!:rockon:
:beer:

PJM99

Established Member
For the price of the GT 500, I'd get an M3 or S4 and I wouldn't sell my 93 Cobra to get it though.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
carguy19 said:
+1

The shelbys will be selling for low to mid 30s by this time next year (i work in the car industry and you see things like this all the time) .

I think it'll be a few years before we see that. We're just now seeing that sort of a drop with the '03's and they're 4 years old. You may see a couple in the mid-upper 30's within a year, but they'll be high mileage ones, or previous wreck, flood or salvage title cars.

Users who are viewing this thread