*Anyone running winter tires on their SVTF?*

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
The time has come. :( Winter is here, and my SVTF doesn't want to go anywhere. I was given a free set of Blizzaks, but they were too tall and ended up rubbing before the car was even let on the ground (215/55-17s). I would like to get a set of correct sized Blizzaks, but now I'm afraid that even our stock tire sizing will be too tall on the Blizzaks due to the tire's deep tread design. Is anyone running these tires? If not, what tires are working well for all of you this time of year?

:beer:

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I have yet to put on my Winter Tires, but I have a complete set of 16" ASA Wheels/Blizzack Tires from TireRack. I actually picked them up from another owner, but they were like new. Wheels are nothing special, just 5 spoke aluminum, but for Winter - so what?

IMO, definitley worth having the extra wheels AND tires to avoid mounting/balancing on stock wheels twice a year.

Maybe give them a call?

www.Tirerack.com

**Click this to give you an idea of what they offer for Winter Packages
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...l=Focus+SVT+3-Door&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Last edited:

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Thanks for the quick response.

I do agree about finding wheels AND tires. The original idea was to buy a set of Euro wheels (for summer) and mount some Blizzaks on the current SVTF rims. I just don't want to buy the regular 215/45-17 Blizzak tire and end up having clearance issues because of the added tread depth.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
215-45-17 snows won't rub, I had a set of Dunlop Graspics in that size and they were great tires.

I just run my all seasons year round now, I didn't care for the handling of the snows.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I take it you ran these tires?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&partnum=145QR7GRDS2&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

They, for the most part, have pretty good reviews. I'm tempted to jump up $15 more bucks a tire and get these. I don't know:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&partnum=145R7BZWS60&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

Yup, DS-2's.

I'm in Minnesota so I know good snow tires and those things were awesome in snow and on glare ice, it was like having four wheel drive.

We only had a few good snowstorms the year I ran them but we had a couple ice storms which really test a tire and they absolutely rocked on ice.

They seem to last a while as well since my set has now been through four owners and the new owner is still happy with them. Has to say something about a tire, doesn't it?

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
Speaking of tires, I just picked up some Nitto Neo Gen ZRs ... awesome tires. Consumer Reports has them tied for first in all-season UHP tires. Leaps and bounds better than the Kumhos that came with the car (although they did last me 50K miles and still had tread to spare). But man, the Nittos are smoother, quieter, steer easier and don't squeak nearly as much around hi-speed curves. If you're looking to get new tires, and you can run all-seasons, I highly recommend 'em. At about $90 per unit they're affordable, too.

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/living/autos/cr-rates-high-performance-tires-71116.shtml

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Speaking of tires, I just picked up some Nitto Neo Gen ZRs ... awesome tires. Consumer Reports has them tied for first in all-season UHP tires. Leaps and bounds better than the Kumhos that came with the car (although they did last me 50K miles and still had tread to spare). But man, the Nittos are smoother, quieter, steer easier and don't squeak nearly as much around hi-speed curves. If you're looking to get new tires, and you can run all-seasons, I highly recommend 'em. At about $90 per unit they're affordable, too.

http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/living/autos/cr-rates-high-performance-tires-71116.shtml

Which Kumhos did you have? Do you remember? Just wondering what the comparison is.

Last edited:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
Which Kumhos did you have? Do you remember? Just wondering what the comparison is.

They were Kumho ECSTA ASXs. I wouldn't call them bad tires, they did last 50K, the Nittos just ride so nice! Cabin noise is greatly reduced. Maybe they were too old? Can a tire get hard (haha) over time?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
They were Kumho ECSTA ASXs. I wouldn't call them bad tires, they did last 50K, the Nittos just ride so nice! Cabin noise is greatly reduced. Maybe they were too old? Can a tire get hard (haha) over time?

Hmm, I've got the ASX's on mine right now. They are actually very quiet but then they're only a few months old.

I agree with the squealing part of your comment though, The Kumho's replaced a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S's and I really liked those but I couldn't aford them again.

93ReefNotch

Established Member

:thumbsup: for the Nitto Neo Gens.

horseman

Established Member
Anybody running those winter tires on the front only. I don't plan on running them full time only when it snows. If anyone has a pair of 03 silver rims I would use them for this.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I just put a set of Dunlop M3's on mine, they handle good in the dry, rain, and so far in the little snow we have had they work great.

Ken

:beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread