Anyone running H&R super sports w/out isolators?

01MGSVT

Established Member
I currently have the eibach pro kit on my 99 GT and I hate the drop and ride it has.. Im going to get the H&R springs soon and want to see some pics with cars with the spring isolators out to see if its too much of a drop or just right! I was thinking taking all the fronts and leaving bottom in the rears. Im open to suggestions as well! POST EM UP!!

Tommy Z

Established Member
'03 Mach 1 here and what you're thinking is what my setup is. Only difference is the rear springs are BBK, which I believe advertise a similar drop. Keep in mind, I'm on 18X9's though.
utegu3a2.jpg

yny4aju3.jpg

batu6eha.jpg

Something about a microwave with wifi and Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I had the Super Sports on my '99 Cobra. Rear had all iso's in and the front had top iso's removed.

IMG_0625.jpg

1999Cobra058.jpg

THe ride was pretty decent. Firm but not jarring. They'll blow out your stock shocks in short order though. Definitely recommend doing them right away.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Nice pics. Keep them coming guys. I'm in the same boat as the OP with my eibach pro kit. I need moar low!

yellow98stang

Established Member
I had the prokit on my cobra and swapped to supersports w/no isos. Dont think it would be fun to DD though and have to worry about avoiding speed bumps etc...

Before w/ Prokit
2011-10-23_19-44-01_744.jpg

After w/ supersports no isos.
20130123_170726.jpg

2012-05-05_16-44-34_748.jpg

Here is my first cobra that was about perfect for daily driving ride height in my opinion. Eibach sportlines w/ isos. Probably pretty similar to the supersports if you were to run isos w/ them.
S2400030.jpg

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Here you go, H&R SS, no isolators
314022_2131449845860_1306485736_n.jpg

this ones a little bright
337723_2170415539978_1854926346_o.jpg

this looks awesome with these wheels!
'03 Mach 1 here and what you're thinking is what my setup is. Only difference is the rear springs are BBK, which I believe advertise a similar drop. Keep in mind, I'm on 18X9's though.
metu4uhu.jpg

zevyguga.jpg

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
I'm also in the same boat as the OP with my sportlines! Most likely going to start by ditching the front isos and see how it looks from there. Has a little bit of a reverse rake to it now

Tommy Z

Established Member
Man that looks SICK!! Thanks

Haha thanks. Some advice I'd like to offer - when it comes to lowering, I look at it the same as doing gears. They say 'Don't fear the gear' and I think the same goes for suspension. At first, I was going to do all isolators but then just said 'Screw it, I don't want to do all this work and not be completely satisfied.' I absolutely love the way mine came out and get compliments often. Go big or go home.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Haha thanks. Some advice I'd like to offer - when it comes to lowering, I look at it the same as doing gears. They say 'Don't fear the gear' and I think the same goes for suspension. At first, I was going to do all isolators but then just said 'Screw it, I don't want to do all this work and not be completely satisfied.' I absolutely love the way mine came out and get compliments often. Go big or go home.

There's a good point in here actually. Up until the 80's or so, manufacturers didn't use isolators between the springs and perches. The absolute only reason they are there to begin with is to reduce NVH. So that should really be the determination on running them or not. If you don't mind a little more noise (which is minimal anyway), run without them.

I will say however, that going too low, especially on a fox and SN chassis mustang can cause serious geometry issues that can have some ill effects on handling. Specifically in terms of roll center in the front suspension.

If you go more than 1.5" down, you really should look at offset rack bushings and tall ball joints to correct the roll center.

Tommy Z

Established Member
There's a good point in here actually. Up until the 80's or so, manufacturers didn't use isolators between the springs and perches. The absolute only reason they are there to begin with is to reduce NVH. So that should really be the determination on running them or not. If you don't mind a little more noise (which is minimal anyway), run without them.

I will say however, that going too low, especially on a fox and SN chassis mustang can cause serious geometry issues that can have some ill effects on handling. Specifically in terms of roll center in the front suspension.

If you go more than 1.5" down, you really should look at offset rack bushings and tall ball joints to correct the roll center.

Bingo. I skipped out on a lot of that because my car is driven maybe once or twice a week. This summer, when I have way more time, I'll be doing a bumpsteer kit and some other odds and ends to perfect it all. Also, the offset rack bushings aren't really the solution for the super low ride heights.

As for the isolators, I only noticed noise for the first week or so after install. I think it was because the springs were still fully seating into their positions. I installed caster camber plates, springs, shocks/struts, swaybar tie rods, some random bushings, and then drove it for 2 weeks to let everything 'break in'. Took it to get aligned and the car has been dreamy ever since.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
SS's, no isos.

RAB_4288.jpg

RAB_4457.jpg

RAB_4558.jpg

RAB_4188.jpg

RAB_4433_zps15ec0885.jpg

And yes, my K member has scuffed the ground when it gets crazy rough, and I'm cruising a little too quick. Only kind of extreme cases though.

Users who are viewing this thread