Anyone running a Borla Stinger axleback on a stock midpipe/manifold 2010?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Haven't been able to find any decent 2010 GT500 clips or reviews with that axleback (or the catback with additional x crossover pipe). Had stingers on my 04 cobra and they were really nice - very popular on that car.

Just curious how they sound on the 5.4L, and whether they add much drone. Also, is it worth the extra money for the catback with crossover pipe vs. just the axleback? Cost is roughly twice as much for what appears just to be some additional mandrel-bent piping.

Thanks.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I had the FRPP version on my '07 and they sounded great but did have drone at 2K RPM. I know it is not a 2010 but may be interesting for your research.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I had the FRPP version on my '07 and they sounded great but did have drone at 2K RPM. I know it is not a 2010 but may be interesting for your research.

Yeah, I was talking to someone who had the FRPP axleback on his 07 GT at a local shop yesterday, and he got drone.

Don't know how if those are exactly the same as the stingers, though, and how it would be on a '10 GT500. I had them on my 04 cobra, and there was a bit of drone, which was amplified when I added a magnaflow catted X. Sounded so good under hard acceleration, though :D

mgmustang1

Established Member
Stock mufflers are loud if you change the midpipe. I have a JBA o/r xpipe and it sounds like i have a full exhaust on it. It is a little raspy though. When you get into 5th gear you would never know anything was changed. No drone at all.

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
I got Dynomax 3" cat-back with the race bullet mufflers and I love it but could be a little louder.... I got a YouTube video of it I'll post the link... I think with a catted H-pipe it will be perfect... Very deep sound and no drone... They aren't really mufflers more like resonators...

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Here is my video with Ford Racing Stingers with the rest of the exhaust system stock. They sounded very good except for the mild drone at 2,000 rpm. I have since switched them out for Corsa Ultimate Touring, which, with the new headers is about as loud as I want, but no drone.

Ford Racing Stinger Exhaust (2010 GT500) - YouTube

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. Gorilla, are the FRPP "stingers" exactly the same as the Borlas? I was speaking with a Borla rep, and he said the Borlas for the 2010 are considerably different than, say, the stingers I had on my 04 cobra (even though they look the same, externally). The 2010s have "multicore" technology, and according to him, results in virtually no drone.

I've heard a few people with 2011+ cars who run the new oval-shaped s-type/stinger system (the one for ours is the round version, as you know) and say there really is no drone, and I believe they use that multicore approach as well.

:shrug:

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
Thanks for the advice so far, guys. Gorilla, are the FRPP "stingers" exactly the same as the Borlas? I was speaking with a Borla rep, and he said the Borlas for the 2010 are considerably different than, say, the stingers I had on my 04 cobra (even though they look the same, externally). The 2010s have "multicore" technology, and according to him, results in virtually no drone.

I've heard a few people with 2011+ cars who run the new oval-shaped s-type/stinger system (the one for ours is the round version, as you know) and say there really is no drone, and I believe they use that multicore approach as well.

:shrug:

I don't know the answer to that. I always thought they were the same, that the Ford Racing part was actually made by Borla, but I could be wrong. I do know, however, that the FR Stingers did give me a drone. It wasn't awful, but I knew there were other options.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I don't know the answer to that. I always thought they were the same, that the Ford Racing part was actually made by Borla, but I could be wrong. I do know, however, that the FR Stingers did give me a drone. It wasn't awful, but I knew there were other options.

I've sent a message to a Borla rep, so I'll try to find out the answer on that one. He's already insisted that Borla's version for the 2010s doesn't drone, whether you get the axleback or the catback with crossover (x) pipe.

I'll let you know what he says, and thanks for your advice so far.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Update:

The Borla rep said the stinger catback for the 2010 GT500s uses that multicore technolgy, while the FRPP stingers do not, which means those could have some drone, where the Borla kit is engineered not to. Of course, this is a Borla rep talking, but I do know of a few people running the new, oval-shaped s-type (stinger) mufflers on their 2011+ GTs (also available on the GT500s) who are amazed at how they produce no drone.

Will likely go ahead with it in the coming weeks, so I'll give an update :thumbsup:

On an interesting note, that catback comes with an x-crossover pipe that requires you to cut the stock midpipe right behind the factory cats so the Borla system will fit. He said, though, that the crossover will smooth out the sound, cut raspiness, and generally improve the tone over just the axleback. Thought that was interesting. Installer at my local performance shop supported his assessment, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread