Anyone run a 2016 Camaro SS yet?

merkyworks

Established Member
A fellow co-worker has a 16' Camaro SS, going to lunch one day we ran each other from 30-100mph. I thought I would walked away from him but we stayed wheel to wheel the entire time, both cars started in 2nd gear and are 100% stock. I was really shocked and makes me wonder how accurate the advertised 455hp is for the 16' Camaro SS. Would leaving traction control on make a difference?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Need more details. What gear were YOU in at the start of the races? How hot was it? Did you have traction issues? My guess is your car was heat soaked.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
When i read the title it mad me smile, kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. Even my ported eaton would destroy my buddies zl1 from a roll. Start from 40 next time to get more in your power band and drop the rear tires at least to 28psi. You should walk away pretty easily, if not time to pulley/tune that thing.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Race makes sense to me... What part of texas are you in?

merkyworks

Established Member
Houston weather so it was around 90F that day. Was driving city stop and go for 10 min before race so I guess I was heat soaked, was I? I was in 2nd gear and I have 3.73's, didn't have traction issues but I did have traction control on.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That'll do it. Yes, you were more than likely very heat soaked. Also, the traction control is sneaky on these cars. It'll activate without even setting off the light. Ever went for some spirited highway blasts or stoplight runs then get home and notice the rear wheels covered in break dust? It's because the traction control was working overtime. You'll also notice that, if you normally leave your traction control on, these cars have "premature" rear brake pad wear.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Absolutely not, coyotes beat everything, where have you been?

And if they get a Boss intake, fuggedaboutit! Heck, if it's a Coyote mated to an automatic, they can spend something like 30 bucks and run with UGR Lambos in the 1/4!

JW03

Established Member
I ran a stock one with my 2007 GT500 about a month ago when I was stock as well. From about 40-100 we were side by side.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I ran a stock one with my 2007 GT500 about a month ago when I was stock as well. From about 40-100 we were side by side.

In this short of a race I could see it happening in stock form, however there is a significant difference in power, weight and cooling between an 07 and a 11/12. Once pullied it evens us all out power wise.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That'll do it. Yes, you were more than likely very heat soaked.

^^^^And if this was the situation, that is the case made for fans behind the heat exchanger. There is not going to be an option for the GT500 owner to say, "Wait!!!, I need to get some air moving across my heat exchanger before we do our side-by-side pull". The race happens and if there has been little to no air moving across the H/E core while in traffic? you run like a 455hp 4000+ car........and that is what the Camaro SS owner remembers, and brags about to his buddies. <<<"I was able to stay side-by-side with a 550 horse GT500!!!"

R

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yep still on 3.31 gear. At the time the car was bone stock.

Ah, yes. The gear ratio that caused the GT500 to be known as "slow" in the streets. I don't know what's worse, that gear ratio or heat soak. At least a gear swap is cheaper than cooling mods. Get yourself a 3.55 or 3.73 in there pronto. I still have the stock 3.55 in mine.

merkyworks

Established Member
Did a little testing last night with traction control off and felt the tires slip a little from a 2nd gear 30mph punch so transition control was definitely kicking in when I raced my co-works camaro :nonono: well live an learn I guess.

78ta

Established Member
Southern states cars need a triple pass heat exchanger. I installed a vmp triple pass heat exchanger and made a huge difference in consistent power.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
And if they get a Boss intake, fuggedaboutit! Heck, if it's a Coyote mated to an automatic, they can spend something like 30 bucks and run with UGR Lambos in the 1/4!

Here is where I wish we had a point button to click.....You have won them all sir. lol

Users who are viewing this thread