Anyone restoring or putting your modded cobra back to stock?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Just curious how many out there are restoring these cars to original specs? I modded my first 93 quite a bit and never once thought about keeping anyting original but that was years ago. With my new 93, i'm so torn between modding and keeping it all original

Just seems like the tides are turning with these cars. What was once a fast/rare/cool car to start with and mod further has turned into a rare/cool/collectible car that you should only mod slightly if anything and enjoy it for what it is.

ihateclowns

Established Member
UWISSSH said:
Just curious how many out there are restoring these cars to original specs? I modded my first 93 quite a bit and never once thought about keeping anyting original but that was years ago. With my new 93, i'm so torn between modding and keeping it all original

Just seems like the tides are turning with these cars. What was once a fast/rare/cool car to start with and mod further has turned into a rare/cool/collectible car that you should only mod slightly if anything and enjoy it for what it is.

I've gone both routes and I will not modify my black 93 with anything other than bolt on mods.

Clowns!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It seems lately there are a lot of people on here that decided to modify than keep them stock.

Just about everything these days is basically bolt on. My car's pretty modified now, and next on the list is a new long block. With 87k on the clock, it's worth more modified than stock. So nope, mines continually being upgraded and all the stock parts are being sold.

There are always more than enough on the market, so at just about any point I could find a clean original to replace this with.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
There are always more than enough on the market, so at just about any point I could find a clean original to replace this with.

I agree to a point but who knows how true this will be in 5 years? Not to mention the price on these care is really just going up. I certainly do not disagree with doing mods to a cobra but I guess it depends on each persons situation.

For me, I already have my GT and that has been an ongoing-never-finished-endless-money project. Getting my Cobra was one of the best moves I ever did. Since about 1994 I have wanted a 93 Cobra teal/black but was never in a situation where I could get one.

Well, in October 06 I was in the right place at the right time and was able to get my "dream" car. It was then I decided I was going to return any "non-stock" item back to stock on the Cobra. For me, I want to be able to walk in my garage 5-10 years from now and drive/look my Cobra and say "this is exactly how it came in '93". My GT is modded to my personal preference .... which as we know is like clothing, it changes with the times. Original is really timeless and that what I want to achieve with my Cobra. My GT will always be a work in progress that changes with the times and progresses with my cash flow.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Im not modding anything I cant put 100% back to stock. Im saving ALL the parts.

+1

I can't see ever going back stock but I have everything minus smog equipment for my car.

mgerman93

Established Member
"I can't see ever going back stock but I have everything minus smog equipment for my car."

Same here Lee. The only "permanent" thing I've done is welded the subframe connectors/torquebox seams. (to keep the sheetmetal straight) It'll never go back to stock though. I'm either going to die with this car, or in it......

Adower

Established Member
My car is definantly being modded. However its only gonna be bolt ons. Heads, cam, intake etc. You can always take those off and go back. I think things like subframes, torque boxes, short throw shifter should go on any fox stang. Im sure the next owner wouldnt complain about those 3 mods.

mofugr

BIG DADDY
Established Member
Mine's staying stock entirely, not even changing the shifter. I have another car that's modded, if I didn't then I would probably mod the Cobra to the point that it could be restored back to stock. I like the fact that it's stock but it's obviously a personal decision. I was at a car show today with two other 93's, both of them were modded so it's a good representation of what people have done with these cars. My view is that in the long run they will be worth more money stock, just my .02

svtdriven

Established Member
well, when I got mine, it was already modded. I only got about half of the stock parts. it has 110k miles on it, and its been painted before. it does still have all the correct vin numbers though(not sure about the engine)

I don't think its going to benefit me to track down all the stock parts. the cost of buying all the missing original parts is probably the same as the additional value I'd get out of the sale of the car in original condition.

In 10-15 years time, when the fox body stangs are seeing their time in the collecotrs spotlight, a well restored 93 cobra clone will probably be worth the same if not more than mine. who knows...

SVT1993

Established Member
I just sold my Cobra because it was hard for me to drive and not feel guilty about putting miles on it. I bought it with 25,000 miles and put 3,000 miles on it by the time I sold it. It was one fine car. It was VERY fun to drive - even stock. I agree that the stock values will only go up, but I NEED to drive.

I sold my pristine 1969 Mach1 428 CJ 4 speed car in 2001 for $25,000 (mint/stock). Since then, the car has doubled in price EASY. That also was a car that I had a hard time putting miles on in fear of it's value going down.

I appreciate you guys that can go out and drive your Cobras and not care about putting miles on them or modding them - This is where the fun is.

So - putting your car back to stock is cool, but driving it is where it's at - stock or not. Really, in the end, it comes down to having fun or having money.

Adower

Established Member
^^^

Tell me about it. 93 cobra DD rain, sun, windy, or whatever. If im going somewhere the 93 will be on the road

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Oh hush Robert with those bad ass "R"s you have that I need to go see.

Ya'll come on over!! In fact I will be starting up and moving the 2000 for the first time in something like, 8 months this coming Saturday. It is in the way of where the next work needs to be done. It has been buried behind "stuff" in the garage I am currently dry walling. It took me two days to get to a point where I could get the cover off and open the drivers door. The 95 is easy to get to, the 93 is a little harder to get to, but do-able. Let me know.

R

svtdriven

Established Member
I wouldn't restore mine... unless it was in perfect condition, and only had 3500 miles on it, missing only the complete drivetrain, hehe!

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
svtdriven said:
I wouldn't restore mine... unless it was in perfect condition, and only had 3500 miles on it, missing only the complete drivetrain, hehe!

Oh no, don't start that one again :burnout:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I think that it is totally personal preferece. My notchback is mostly stock, and that's how I like it. At car shows I have to beat people away from my car with a stick. It won't be long until FOX bodies will be classics, so hold on to them whether they are stock or modified. Either way,you will be able to get big money for it and there is an a$$ for every seat!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread