Anyone remember the 232 rwhp 97 Cobra? Well...

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
The shop called me today, and they've finally got the car figured out.

The base dyno was 232rwhp because of the slipping clutch.

After my initial tune, the car put down 260 some, I can't remember exactly what because the sheets arent' here now. The shop and I both thought those numbers seemed REALLY off, so they started digging. Well, a couple days after the dyno, the car wouldn't even start the problem had deteriorated so badly.

It turns out that when they changed the clutch, they broke the crank sensor, which blew a fuse, which f'ed the anti theft, which disagreed with the tune.

They fixed the fuse and the sensor, reset the computer and retuned it, and made 293 rwhp and 289 rwtq.

**** YEAH!

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Hooray for a working tune/sensors, haha. Glad to hear you got it sorted out and nice numbers! :thumbsup:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
They broke the crank sensor during a clutch install??? The crank sensor is in front of the motor?? At any rate glad you got it fixed. -Mark

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
They broke the crank sensor during a clutch install??? The crank sensor is in front of the motor?? At any rate glad you got it fixed. -Mark

thats the same thing that crossed my mind. kinda weird, i just hope they didnt charge you to fix the sensor. but on a happy note, congrats on gaining many horses.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
yeah if the crank sensor is in the front how did htey ever figure out that was broken and messing with the anti-theft etc....but wow thats some good power, thats with longtubes I assume

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
glad to see they got you put together again. Little shocked that it took a dyno to figure out that a clutch was slipping...its almost impossible to miss when it does.

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Well, when I went in, a new clutch and flywheel was on the agenda. I knew it was gone, I just wanted a before dyno for shits and giggles.

I didn't know where the crank sensor was, if it's on the front it may have gotten messed up when they dropped the kmember and jacked the engine up some to do the headers.

I haven't paid for anything to do with their mess-up, I know this for sure because I paid the quoted price when I dropped the car off almost a month ago, no mystery charges have shown up since then. I've gotten a new set of Denso platinums, MSD coils, MSD wires, a crank sensor and a bunch of new fuses all for free while they're trying to figure this out lol.

They've been very good at taking care of me. I'm a little upset it took this long to fix the car, but they've been consummate professionals the entire time, and all the free new crap I've gotten makes it worth it.

As for my combo, I'm running Hooker Super Comps with a Hooker Aerochamber off road x pipe and a Densecharger fenderwell CAI. They tuned me with an SCT xcal 3 tuner. The new mods coupled with my new clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel make for a car that pulls HARD. I think they deleted some of the EGR crap while they were in there, but I'll confirm that later. When the clutch gets broken in and I feel a little more confident about beating on her, I'll take some vids.

FWIW, the car made 274 rwhp with nothing but an open element K&N and some weld in Flows in Florida in 2005.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread