Anyone reduce "the tick" by using 5-30 weight?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The subject line says it all. Anyone hear any difference by using the heavier weight oil?

Thanks!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I use 5-30 anyway and I have never heard the "tick" so maybe it does work??!! Worth a try,,,but dont go any thicker because anything else will void your warranty if they check.

Fred G

Established Member
Hey Black…greetings again,

I tried the same thread last week…. before I changed my oil this past Wednesday.

I have the tick and when I did the first oil change at 500, I noticed no tick until I went 60 or 70 miles. Then the tick came back. I used the 5W-20 Motorcraft oil for the first oil change, which was done at the dealer. Wednesday I did the second oil change, but this time used Mobil 1 5W-30. After the oil change we did the FR 500 cat-back and then dyno’d the car. I don’t think it was ticking on the dyno with the fresh Mobil 1. By the time I got home, however, about 15 miles later, the tick was back. What do you think?

Cobra'03

Established Member
This is not an oil viscosity issue - if the cap girdles need tightening, it was either because they were improperly adjusted at the outset, or have been mechanically stressed by excessive RPM. You could use whale blubber mixed with epoxy and it would not have any effect.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, guys. Cobra'03, I know you are the lube man, but I had the cam caps retorqued and it didn't fix the problem. This is what Ford/SVT suggested to the tech at my dealer to try next. So I just wanted to see if anyone had any luck trying it, before I went ahead and did so myself. With that said, do you still think this won't have any effect? I suppose I could just go ahead and try it. Fred - did you have your cam caps retorqued by the way?

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Thanks for the replies, guys. Cobra'03, I know you are the lube man, but I had the cam caps retorqued and it didn't fix the problem. This is what Ford/SVT suggested to the tech at my dealer to try next. So I just wanted to see if anyone had any luck trying it, before I went ahead and did so myself. With that said, do you still think this won't have any effect? I suppose I could just go ahead and try it. Fred - did you have your cam caps retorqued by the way?

Mine has been done also and my tick started again shortly after. I say we try it.

:burnout:

Cobra'03

Established Member
I hope the oil helps, I just do not see it.

BTW, are you sure it is not injector noise? I posted an answer on the Stangnet for a guy, told him to stethoscope the valve cover, and it turned out his noise WAS injector solenoid click.

Now that you have responded (I have a crystal ball) that it IS valvetrain noise, has anyone established that there is anything wrong with having it? Most complicated valvetrains have mechanical noise - Ferraris have plenty - any my little Outback is notorious for startup valve clatter, but it settles down, and these engines have been known to last for 100's of K's. :shrug:

T3 - you mentioned somethinhg about a Mustang show in richmond In September - email me at [email protected] with details - maybe we could all meet up for lunch at the River City Diner in Midlothian (it has car motive), or if you need a place to crash,etc.

mike69440

Established Member
Ticking Noise

Yes
Injectors do make a ticking noise, my 92 4.6 2V does make such a noise.

My Cobra ticked when hot with a more metalic sound. Was especially noisy on left side of car next ot a wall.

I added a can of GM Oil Supplement to the 5-20W motorcraft oil (Oil changed by dealer) and have not really heard tick again.

I have an appointment with the Ford area rep the 5th of Sept. and will ask him what is going on.

Mike69440

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Mike and Lube man (aka Cobra'03) - yes, I'm sure this is not injector noise on my car. The tech did put a stethoscope on the driver side valve cover and said that's where the noise was coming from.

T3 - yeah, I think I'm going to try it, too. I'm happy to work with them on the problem, so if they want to try this, it's ok w/ me. I'll have the tech do it at the dealer so I don't have to pour my money down the recycling drain! I'll post the results. Probably next week sometime. Let us know if you try it and what you find.

Thanks.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Looks to be a bona fide valvetrain noise - but I ask again, aside from a loud metallic noise (which would freak me too), has any tech advised what harm a slight tick creates in the long term? I had a 3,0 liter Pathfinder V6 that clanged like dinnertime on the ranch at startup, but ran to 120k with out a hitch. Still running today as far as I know...

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Looks to be a bona fide valvetrain noise - but I ask again, aside from a loud metallic noise (which would freak me too), has any tech advised what harm a slight tick creates in the long term? I had a 3,0 liter Pathfinder V6 that clanged like dinnertime on the ranch at startup, but ran to 120k with out a hitch. Still running today as far as I know...

Clanged like dinner time on the ranch?! Too funny - LOL! Actually, Ford/SVT advised me that this would not in any way affect long term reliability. But at least they're working on the problem. Apparently it's more widespread than previously thought. It's reported to be occuring on all of the 4V head motors.

Thanks again for the feedback.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Mike and Lube man (aka Cobra'03) - yes, I'm sure this is not injector noise on my car. The tech did put a stethoscope on the driver side valve cover and said that's where the noise was coming from.

T3 - yeah, I think I'm going to try it, too. I'm happy to work with them on the problem, so if they want to try this, it's ok w/ me. I'll have the tech do it at the dealer so I don't have to pour my money down the recycling drain! I'll post the results. Probably next week sometime. Let us know if you try it and what you find.

Thanks.

It's been drizzling here since about 11 am and now it's raining. I do not drive the car in the rain, so I haven't been to the station that will let me do as I wish. I've known the owners son since age 8. Which also means can't go to Fast Freddies tonight, no one will be there. :gt:

Cobra'03

Established Member
T3 - send some of that rain our way - sure could use some!

Thanks for the email - I do not get the SVT enthusiasts mag yet so please send details as you get them.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
T3 - send some of that rain our way - sure could use some!

Thanks for the email - I do not get the SVT enthusiasts mag yet so please send details as you get them.

The only new info so far is I sent the e-mail address in the mag a request for more info

I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
In case anyone is still interested in this, here's my experience with doing this. Drum roll please......NO DIFFERENCE! (If anything, maybe just a little bit quieter. Started up w/ no noise, but then it started ticking as it warmed up.) Lube man was right again!

Fred G

Established Member
Hey Black 2003:

Sorry for the delayed post. End of month has me going nuts. To answer your question, no I’ve not had the cam caps re-torqued as it does not appear to be a permanent fix. I don’t care what anybody says, mine doesn’t tick cold, and doesn’t tick when I first change the oil. I believe the tick came back a little quicker with the Mobil 1 5w-30 because, despite it’s higher (thicker) viscosity, which is a molecular thing, it is physically thinner than the Motorcraft 5w –20.

For what it’s worth, I put a stethoscope on each of the 4 large bolts on the valve covers and the tick seems pretty damn obvious to me. Anyway, the car runs like a raped ape, so I’m not doing anything about the noise at this time.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Fred G
Hey Black 2003:

the Mobil 1 5w-30 because, despite it’s higher (thicker) viscosity, which is a molecular thing, it is physically thinner than the Motorcraft 5w –20.

Huh? 5w20 is lower vis at the usual 0 and 100 degree C vis rating points - not sure what you are trying to say. It is more lubricious than mineral oil of similar vis, if that is what you meant.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
My tick has ALWAYS been there. Never that bad. Not bothering me too much UNTIL I went to the track last weekend and made 7 runs in the 1/4. Now I can hear it pretty bad. Changed the oil today and still TICKING! I use 5w-30 Mobile1.

3500 miles on her.

I do notice that smaller DOHC engines have a lot of ticking too. Maybe the larger engine magnifies this? There are a lot of parts in those heads.

Could it be normal? Why would it get louder with age and wear?

sqidd

Established Member
Everyone,
Do your cars make more noise when thy first start up. Does it go away after a couple of minutes at idle?

sqidd

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by sqidd
Everyone,
Do your cars make more noise when thy first start up. Does it go away after a couple of minutes at idle?

sqidd

No actually when mines cold it's quiet. It's not until it's at operating temperature does it start.

I had the cam bolts retorqued at the dealer 1500 miles ago, but it did not help. 2,900 miles and I have switched to mobil 1, 5w30

Users who are viewing this thread