Anyone recently out of the military?

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
As the title says, I am unfortunately being medically retired from the military (Active Air Force)

Does anyone have any tips about job/house hunting, resume writing, etc., other than the generic online searches?

I am 1 class away from my Associates, which does not mean much in today's economy. I am torn on if I should go back to school full-time, or jump into working. My wife is in school full-time, so I am not sure if itd be smart for the both of us to be in at the same time.

Does anyone know of employers that are more prone to hiring veterans? My AFSC was Vehicle Operations, so I can drive nearly anything on wheels, manage personnel, logistics, etc.

I am hoping for more personal accounts on transitioning, other than TAPS and whatnot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I retired after 20 years in the Navy, effective 1 Nov.. haven't started looking for work yet, so can't really help you..

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
As the title says, I am unfortunately being medically retired from the military (Active Air Force)

Does anyone have any tips about job/house hunting, resume writing, etc., other than the generic online searches?

I am 1 class away from my Associates, which does not mean much in today's economy. I am torn on if I should go back to school full-time, or jump into working. My wife is in school full-time, so I am not sure if itd be smart for the both of us to be in at the same time.

Does anyone know of employers that are more prone to hiring veterans? My AFSC was Vehicle Operations, so I can drive nearly anything on wheels, manage personnel, logistics, etc.

I am hoping for more personal accounts on transitioning, other than TAPS and whatnot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

Are you going to be getting a percentage? If you are getting a decent percentage for your medboard you should be ok and be able to go to school on the GI bill; that's what I did when I got out. Were you in long enough to get the full 100% 911 GI bill? If so you get E5 BAH and they pay for all your classes and books; it's plenty of $ to survive on if you are getting a percentage of disability.

I got out, Immediately went to the Police Academy, 3 months later I got hired by the Sheriff's Office. I am still finishing my degree though; Just weigh your options, and figure out what you want to do for a living. If they are chaptering you and you want to stay in, maybe another branch will take you. I was in the Army, they are usually always looking for people.

The VA is very aggressive for hiring veterans; if there is a VA close to where you are planning on moving check there, there is a job board up in the lobby usually. Also USA jobs is a good resource. The VA also holds career fairs and other stuff, they have really come a long way in the last few years in regards to programs for vets. Anything else you want to ask feel free to PM me. I had a leg up I guess on you; I got out because they wouldn't give me what I wanted to re-up so by choice I decided to make a go at civilian life.

Hope I helped, and good luck with everything. It was scary when I did it, but I found a way to make it work.:rockon:

yelostang

Established Member
I spent 6 years in the Air Force and have been out for right at 5 years now.

I think you should go ahead and take that last class...that associates is better than nothing. It always looks better on a resume to have completed some schooling than none.

This website will help you come up with ideas for resume bullets:
Military Transition - America's Career InfoNet

It's a very difficult market to get a job unless you make yourself more marketable, and schooling will seperate you form alot of other people with your background.

yelostang

Established Member
Here is my transitiong story:

Spent 6 years ADAF as a maintainer working Electronic Warfare Systems. I got out and got a pretty good job as a Field Rep. for a defense company. I quickly learned that without a degree I would be stuck living in hotel rooms and airports so I went back to school.

In May of last year I graduated with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and now work as a Systems Engineer for another defense company. I'm already going back to school and am starting my Masters in Systems Engineering through Johns Hopkins as we speak.

The post 9/11 GI Bill, and a small part-time job, will enable you to still have a decent lifestyle while going to school so I think you should do it.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member

How familiar are you with the operation of OLVIMS?

U.M.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
Thank you guys very much. I will be knocking out my last class as soon as I get back home. All of your information has helped. Keep it coming!

I am very familiar with OLVIMS, including the dispatching and licensing portions. Gonna pm you.

Marc

Established Member
Thank you guys very much. I will be knocking out my last class as soon as I get back home. All of your information has helped. Keep it coming!

I am very familiar with OLVIMS, including the dispatching and licensing portions. Gonna pm you.

Why wait that long? Go take a "CLEP" test and in 45 minutes your degree is knocked out. Anyone can pass those damn CLEP tests, most are very easy. That way as soon as you get home, you can put on our resume that you have a Associate's degree.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
Thanks for the reply, Chief. I have CLEP'd 5 others, but math is my weak suit. I am going to try to CLEP it before I get my orders, but we shall see!

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I got out summer of 09 after being held 18 months longer for stop loss. I had done just under 5 years at that point. I lived at my parents for 3 months while I waited for school, did a semester in CO at CSU, and then came back and started attending school at UWGB. I then got engaged, bought a house with my fiance, and worked for my brother and started my own agribusiness.

Depending on your living situation you can live very comfortably off the new GI bill. I was getting mad money while in CO, and could save a ton because I lived in an on campus apartment, rode my bike everywhere, and just lifted weights in my spare time.

markw351

Established Member
Well were you in long enough to get 100% of your 911 GI Bill? I assume you don't know what your VA rating is yet, but if don't qualify for the GI bill there is also the vocational rehab program through the VA if you qualify. It's mainly based on your VA rating and believe if you are at least 20% you'd qualify. They will also pay 100% of tuition, books, buy you a lap top if needed, etc and pays a stipend much like BAH maybe a little less but they go a 4th year where the GI bill stops at 36 months. Both programs are good options. Either way if you can make it going to school fulltime and work a part time job you'd be better off in the long run to get your education now.

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
there is a monthly magazine called GI Jobs that you should take a look at. It always has the top 50 veteran employers in there. with the post 9/11 and 20 hours a week, you'll be able to live in chill mode while you complete school.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
I am going to be at 30%, and will qualify for 100% 9/11 Bill. Can I get the vocational rehab along with my 9/11 bill?

Fuerza

Established Member
In the Army we have ACAP, basically its a transition class that can assist you with resume writing, job interview skills, and even job fairs for veterans. They also schedule a VA counselor for you to talk to and make appointments with. I would assume they have something similar for the Air Force, no? Are you drawing a pension retirement? That plus 9-11 GI Bill should provide a nice living for you while in school. I don't know if you could get VA rehab with 9-11 GI Bill, that is something I would talk with a VA counselor about.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Does Ramstein not offer a TAP course? The education center there should have a ton of free resources for you as well.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr
get any medical issues old or new documented or you will regret it

jamessims

Established Member
where do you plan on moving back too? 30% is a nice monthly check i think its at like 430ish a month.... with 30 and school full time that should be enough for you and ur wife to pay rent and groceries on as long as u dont have car payments.... ~James

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I got off active duty 2 years ago, now i have 7. Im a reservist and I use my post 9/11 gi bill for school, its a good deal. Military one source is a great tool for active reserve and those fresh out. Google them.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Go to Linkedin.com and post your Resume and check out USAJobs.com

Linked in has TONS of links for networking. I don't get out for another 2 yrs (unless the med board me this yr) and I am already getting job offers.

Visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr visit the dr
get any medical issues old or new documented or you will regret it

Great advice!...... can't wait to see what my % is.

Last edited:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
If you are still having problems finding a job. Then I would check out the Dvop and Lver in your area and contact them. They will help tremendously.

Users who are viewing this thread