Anyone quit cable/satellite and stream with Hulu, etc.?

Supernova

Established Member
I'm curious to see if anyone has quite cable or satellite and gone strictly with streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, etc., for TV. I'm pretty tired of paying as much as I do for TV (especially when most of it is garbage), but I'm a little wary of making the jump because I don't know what the quality and selection is like. I don't watch a ton of TV--a few network shows and then stuff like Science Channel/Discovery/etc. Now that I can get the Sunday Ticket app on the PS3, I feel like I could ditch DirecTV. The only other thing that's holding me back is having TV for sports. I like watching college football, hockey, and F1 as well, and I'm doubting you can get those via some of these other services. Anyone with experience please chime in, I'm curious to get your opinion!

Sage2k

Established Member
I ditched cable a while back. I use netflix with 1 dvd at a time option (15$ month) and the occasional redbox rental. The selection on netflix is pretty good. It has a TON of documentaries if thats your thing.

But if sports is a big deal, you're outta luck. You could always setup an antenna and get the free channels too.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
We did. Monthly bill went from $80 to $8 and we haven't missed it one bit. The one time we wanted to watch a game (Texas A&M football) we were able to stream it through ESPN with no problems.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I did it 6 months ago. Was paying $93/mo for cable. I now use netflix streaming and hulu plus for my ps3. Also bought an hd antenna for local stuff. It was an adjustment at first, for sure. However, there's no way in hell i'm going back to cable. I also don't watch sports.

coposrv

Established Member
If your into sports at all it's a no go. My GF had a Roku? And just replaced it with apple tv. It's fine and works good for what it is but not being able to watch sports makes it no buenos for me.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have basic cable and that's it. I use 4G internet from my Verizon wireless phone (a lot cheaper and a lot faster than most home internet providers). I use Netflix and starting to use Amazon VOD. For sports, I mostly go to bars (PPV fights or big games) or catch them on TV when they're available. Saved a lot canceling home internet, phone, and basic cable.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I was without cable television for a while. We streamed Netflix through our Wii or Xbox and I was able to stream almost every UGA game via ESPN3 on the Xbox. I would sometimes download the torrent of a show that I liked the day after it aired. We recently had cable installed and I wish we hadn't but we don't have a service aggrement/contract so I'll probably just not continue the service when I move this summer.

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
I ditched cable and went to a HD antenna and Netflix streaming. I thought I would really miss cable but I really dont. I watch more tv shows than movies on Netflix.

Grimster

Established Member
Ditched cable TV and home phone and just have internet. (it's been almost 2 years now)

Re purposed an old desktop and hooked it up to our 50" plasma in the living room. We have a subscription to Netflix streaming and do the free Hulu (not Hulu plus). We also do youtube videos from time to time.

Right now we are on a Doctor Who kick on Netflix. :)

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
someone needs to come up with a good option for sports lovers, I watch college football all day sat. in the fall. I couldn't live without it.

It would stink though if a really good new show comes out and everyone's talking about it and you cant watch it.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I have basic cable for the girl (she likes to watch the Today show when she is getting ready for work :shrug: ) but as far as cable goes, we ditched it a few months ago and are just streaming through Hulu and downloading certain shows that we want to see (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Archer, etc...). Actually ended up building an HTPC for the TV but did it pretty low budget as a Hackintosh Mac Mini and I just use an old iPod Touch as my remote and it all works out pretty nicely.

I also have an Xbox 360 that I use to stream sports. Most of the stuff I want to watch is on ESPN anyways. The only thing that I really miss is SportCenter.

Last edited:

04YellowGT

Established Member
We just did about 2 months ago and I love it. I was paying $100 a months and now pay $21 with Xbox Live gold, hulu plus and netflix. Im going to cancel Hulu Plus though because I dont like having to still watch commercials on stuff that i can watch on local channels.

ViciousJay

Established Member
broke asses the for today is JOB, J-O-B.... i hate cable but when football season is around im not trying to stream a bears game nor am i gonna screw with rabbit ears.... btw netflix and hulu sucks balls, theres a reason you pay $8 for it

Last edited:

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
My wife and I ditched cable about 7 months ago. With the money we saved I bought a new 47" TV and 3D Blu-Ray player that has Netflix/Vudu/Pandora/Huluplus/Blockbuster. Now our monthly entertainment bills are roughly $25/month with more TV than we can watch.

We aren't looking back.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Wow, it looks like cable prices are way more affordable in the states.
Our satellite bill is $250 a month and we don't even get all the channels!
This price includes one UFC PPV per month ($60).

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Although I don't watch too much tv, I don't think I would quit it anytime soon.

I love turning it on and watching my sports package on comcast, also I love it when HBO has some boxing events, not PPV either.

Supernova

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! How is the selection on Hulu? Is it mostly network stuff, or are there cable shows on there as well? How recent are the episodes, and how far back do they go? Is it in HD? Thanks for the help!

Also, for those streaming ESPN on the Xbox--how well does it work? I have a 360, and I forgot about ESPN on there. How's the quality?

firebird1999us

Established Member
I haven't owned a TV since 2005. Strictly Internet! Although I work in TV so the idea of watching it for 6 hours a day and then coming home and watching more is less than appealing:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread