Anyone paint their plastic trim?

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
I had mine painted at a local body shop and that was almost 7 years ago and it's still looks awesome! I did front lip, mirrors, (rocker panels were new takeoffs from a GT factory painted blue) and rear diffuser, but on the rear diffuser I had him make a cut line that followed the body line kinda like the 03-04 cobras do around the exhaust cutouts and over to the other side. I favored that more than painting the whole thing. Kinda breaks it up alittle. IMG_0133.JPGIMG_0282.JPGIMG_0141.JPG

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I had mine painted at a local body shop and that was almost 7 years ago and it's still looks awesome! I did front lip, mirrors, (rocker panels were new takeoffs from a GT factory painted blue) and rear diffuser, but on the rear diffuser I had him make a cut line that followed the body line kinda like the 03-04 cobras do around the exhaust cutouts and over to the other side. I favored that more than painting the whole thing. Kinda breaks it up alittle.View attachment 40919View attachment 40920View attachment 40921

Looks good and really helps me out because of the color. You think you can get a good side pic of the car so I can see the side skirts? I've been contemplating doing Vista Blue or black. Thanks

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks, I really like it. Makes the car look lower.

Exactly! I'm about half way through doing this on my vista blue as well. Just did the front spoiler and turned out great! The parts have minimal texture to them and it sands off easy. I just sanded them smooth, gave a good coat of epoxy primer and painted it.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Exactly! I'm about half way through doing this on my vista blue as well. Just did the front spoiler and turned out great! The parts have minimal texture to them and it sands off easy. I just sanded them smooth, gave a good coat of epoxy primer and painted it.

Epoxy primer is for metal... I hope you used some sort of adhesion promoter. It would suck to go to the carwash and have the paint start flaking off a few months down the road. You can get the adhesion promoter in rattle cans as well.

builttodrive

Established Member
Epoxy primer is for metal... I hope you used some sort of adhesion promoter. It would suck to go to the carwash and have the paint start flaking off a few months down the road. You can get the adhesion promoter in rattle cans as well.

There are epoxy primers for plastic also. I paint cars for a living. Yes you have to use adhesion promoter and a flex agent is a good idea. There are also different catalysts used for plastic over steel. An etch primer is a metal specific primer.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I know you guys in the US use different stuff that we do in Canada, we don't use epoxy on plastic of any kind really, we have specific urathne primers/sealers with flex already in them for that. epoxys don't tend to stand up to temp swings as well for us.

Also for us, Etch is not really a primer, it just a barrier on bare metal, you still need to prime/seal over it. It's acid and is only there so the primer/sealer have something to stick to.

I jumped to conclusions on what you wrote before, I'm sure you guys have all sorts of different stuff that we don't have and vise versa.

Black Sex

Established Member
We will have to meet up sometime. Do you ever make it to Sioux Falls? I know there is a Sioux City mustang group I see at shows and the drag strip here and there.

I'm up there every now and then. I'm hoping to make it to Thunder Valley a few times this year. I haven't made it up the last two years.
I'm hoping to come up to Automania in June.
Do you ever do autocross or TVD?
You should come down to our Mustang show. If you have FB, look up SiouxLand Mustang Club

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
OP, the guy that does my powder coating showed me a pic of a black GT500 like yours that had the front splitter dipped in a black and gold pattern that looked amazing. It was on Facebook. If I can find it again I'll send a link but I remember I liked it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread