Anyone paint the side vent scoop inserts?

slickblack

Established Member
I was originally looking for the stainless side scoops mesh inserts but I'm not having any luck with getting my PM's answered, so I was thinking about just painting the inserts in a silver color that would look similar to the stainless mesh inserts. Anyone ever try it or have a pic? Maybe with a silver paint pen? I think it may look good on a black Cobra with chrome wheels.
What are your thoughts?
Jay

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I am going to chime in with my $.02

Being a graphic designer for much of what I do, I tend to pay attention to what looks good at the end of a project. In other words, the overrall appearance.

Often times, we can zoom in on one particular detail of the car an go crazy with it. However, it ends up often not working well with the overrall appearance.

Matching side scoop color to the wheels sounds good in theory, but in the end will scream "amateur project." Don't do it. You MAY end up liking it. but more than likely, you won't. And no one else will either.

Leave it the dark grey/black plastic. If they are faded, I don't recommend painting. get new ones or recondition.

Adding too many contrasting colors, badges, etc. makes any car look less desireable. Have the body painted ONE color, with a modest assortment of badges (the stock Cobra badging was done well) and let the wheels alone bring the "bling." In the end your car looks much better and much more professional / factory / desirable than if it looks too "custom."

Saleen did a good job on their body kit, but there is much more to that that different colored side scoops. they did a good job on badging as well (exepting that massive "saleen" logo that covers the windsheild). Again, because it was all design with the total overrall appearance in mind.

Don't just paint the scoops. That's just my opinion. Only giving it because you asked. I also imagine that is why their are no responses. No one thinks this is a good idea. It seems like it would be, but it probably isn't in the end.

slickblack

Established Member
I appreciate your input, thank you. I'm going to paint some paper silver and put it in the vent and see what it looks like. I'm not completely sold on it either. We'll see.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Post a pic of that, just wondering what it would look like. I am likely going more blackout though.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Tousley is doing a group buy for side vent scoops, its in the terminator section, check it out, they can make anything your little heart desires!

slickblack

Established Member
I did it and I am happy with the results. I used a silver paint pen and just colored the horizontal lines in the inserts. It's nothing bold or anything but I think it adds a little to it. Check it out. I'll get some pics further out tomorrow.

before- stock black vent insert
CIMG0037.jpg

after- silver painted lines
CIMG0041.jpg

slickblack

Established Member
I also did the chrome wheel cleaner mod to remove that finish off the inner part of the wheel. It took about an hour per wheel so I only got 2 done, but it sure does shine now!!

CIMG0048.gif

slickblack

Established Member
how dd you clean the inside of the wheels so well

I used this method. Except I didn't wait 2 minutes before wiping it off. It was hot in Phoenix this weekend so I only waited about 30 seconds otherwise the film kind of sticks back on. I got the smaller can of aircraft remover- 32 oz and still have about 1/4 left.
Terminator FAQs
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread