Anyone own a John Deere LX176? Question.

miniSHO

Established Member
I am looking at a used 1995 LX176 tractor with 38" deck. It has a 14 horsepower Kawasaki engine and hydro transmission. Any problems with this engine or model of tractor? What is the "LX" model and how does it differ? Anything to check to make sure the hydro transmission is in good shape? Thanks for your help.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've owned one since about 1996.

You can't kill the engine so long as you maintain it properly and its generally known for being an anvil.

NO problems with the trans at all. I love the hydrostatic drive.

Only issue I had was with the hood hinges breaking, but that was partly my fault.

Mine has cut a LOT of grass and been through several sets of blades with no deck issues.

So long as it has three new belts and a pair of balanced blades, its still as smooth as the day it was new.

I don't remember what the LX got you though.

If I could still buy another one, I would.

miniSHO

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that they don't make the smaller JD's like they used to. I looked at the new ones they sell at Lowe's, and they use the typical B&S engine you find on the cheaper brands. They also don't have a full frame like this LX model does. So I decided to go with the older model tractor, but I think it will last longer than a brand new "cheap" JD.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I don't know about John Deeres but I got about a 20-25 year old Gravely Lawn Tractor with a 12HP Kohler motor. That tractor cut a ton of grass in it's day, and it's still going. Talked to a guy about it at a Tractor store, he said just run it until it doesn't run anymore.

Greasing the tractor in a few places after every other time it gets used, blade sharpening, cleaning it completely checking the motor oil and trans oil and changes is all we do and it still runs very good for it's age. I replaced a belt or so a few times other than that no issues, no leaks. it's a workhorse, I hope when it comes to replace it I can find something just as good and long lasting without paying too much for a new one (+$6,000) but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
People still cut grass with lawn tractors? Have you considered a zero turn mower? :-D

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
As an "oh by the way"

The steering knuckles and blade bearings have zerk fittings. I always grease mine.

For oil, I run 10-30 in the winter and 30 in the summer. I'm in central AL, so it doesn't get all that cold here, but it really helps with the cranking speed, I just let it warm up a bit. Always used Havoline/Texaco with a Napa oil filter.

I'm really disappointed in the newer models, I don't know what I'm going to do when mine goes downhill.....rebuild it probably.

Users who are viewing this thread