Anyone max out a 2.3L TVS yet?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Since I am building a new motor, I was wondering what the most boost anyone has gotten out the TVS?

My goal is 750RWHP on 93 pump gas with my build motor. But I am not sure if it is possible with the TVS. I was thinking of upgrading to the whipple 2.9L. I did a search but did not find the answer I was hunting for.

r.barn

Established Member
Yes it will do it, but belt slip will be a problem. Using the $3k Ford Racing 10rib belt kit, overdrive crank pulley and custom blower pulley it should be doable.

GT500's and Vet's have put down over 800rwph with that blower, but that was also on bigger displacement engines.

I'm shooting for 700+rwhp on a 2.9 Whipple on 93 octane too, and finding out its not going to be easy. Water/Meth injection seems to be the best solution, even on a 9.5cr engine.

Last edited:

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Yeah, I knew belt slip was going to be an issue. I though I read somewhere that there was a 8 rib conversion that could be had for a fair price. But I can't find it anymore so maybe it was a figment of my imagination.

Maybe 700RWHP on 93 is a more realistic goal with the TVS. We need bigger direct bolt on blowers like the termi's have.

Bud

Established Member
Are you building with lower compression? Upgrading to the 2.9 head unit costs pretty close to what the conversion to the 10rib drive system costs. Justin at VMP mentioned an 8rib setup quite awhile back but never heard anything new on it, might want to give him a ring.

bigriff85

Established Member
Good luck with a tvs unless you're 11:1...I have a tvs 2.3 and I'm stuck at 13psi and terrible belt slip...car only made 570/515 93 octane...9.5:1 cr...

r.barn

Established Member
Yeah, I knew belt slip was going to be an issue. I though I read somewhere that there was a 8 rib conversion that could be had for a fair price. But I can't find it anymore so maybe it was a figment of my imagination.

Maybe 700RWHP on 93 is a more realistic goal with the TVS. We need bigger direct bolt on blowers like the termi's have.

You live in Corn Country. If you want to bump up the fuel system and run E85 you can do it for sure.

alex12gt

Established Member
id like to push around 7-800 and maybe add nitrous on top of that but i may also do cams and have the heads ported so hopefully the boost goes a little longer

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
what about porting the blower and TB plenum( on top of pulleying it down)? thats gotta be worth some power plus a bigger TB.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Are you building with lower compression? Upgrading to the 2.9 head unit costs pretty close to what the conversion to the 10rib drive system costs. Justin at VMP mentioned an 8rib setup quite awhile back but never heard anything new on it, might want to give him a ring.

Yeah i was thinking of going with 10:1 compression. I can pick up the 2.9L whipple for $2900.00 delivered.

Good luck with a tvs unless you're 11:1...I have a tvs 2.3 and I'm stuck at 13psi and terrible belt slip...car only made 570/515 93 octane...9.5:1 cr...

I am running the 82mm pulley right now and had belt slip until I put on a billet 90mm idler and it took care of it. I run about 11.8PSI pretty constant at WOT. What size pulley are you running for 13PSI?

You live in Corn Country. If you want to bump up the fuel system and run E85 you can do it for sure.

Yeah E85 is pretty much everywhere around here now. It is just my wife and I like to take the car on vacation a lot where E85 isn't available. That is the only reason I have not made the conversion yet.

Bud

Established Member
If you are dropping compression I'd do the 2.9, that gives you growing room with the 10rib kit if you ever need it in the future. The TVS with the 10rib and overdrive damper will probably get you there but the whipple might be more efficient at the higher rpms. The vacation thing is solved easy enough by having a gas tune in the sct and slapping a huge pulley on the blower before leaving for vaca.

Users who are viewing this thread