anyone know why they upped the launch control to 3,000 on later 2013's?

huggytree

Established Member
just checked my lanch control yesterday.....and yep mine starts at 3,000(which to me seems extreme)

just wondering if anyone knows why Ford changed this on the later 2013's?

USV8PWR

Established Member
just checked my lanch control yesterday.....and yep mine starts at 3,000(which to me seems extreme)

just wondering if anyone knows why Ford changed this on the later 2013's?

My uneducated assumption is that Ford SVT raised the RPM minimum on the launch control from 2,500 to 3,000 to help ensure folks would not use the setting on the street. Although I have wider tires on my car now (315 x 20 x 35) 3,000 is still a little high even my tires on the street unless they are warmed up...which is hard to do on the street, especially during a stop light race. Which I believe Ford is trying to prevent by raising the RPM from 2,500 to 3,000. I can't imagine being able to really take off at 3,000 RPM on the factory Goodyears on the street (and folks won't use it on the street if they can't take off properly), but that would be about right on the strip. Whereas I bet 2,500 RPM is low enough to tempt folks to use the feature all the time, even off the track.

And I think they lowered the RPM maximum from 5,200 to keep the drivetrain from disintergrating when folks take their cars with stickier tires to the strip.

I'm glad mine goes from 2,500 to 5,200 and I use launch control all the time! :banana:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
3000 is usable on the street with heated tires. In 80 degree weather it's probably going to do fine without a warmup.

Users who are viewing this thread