Anyone know this car/gearheads shop near Dallas

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Never seen the car but have heard good and bad things about Gearheads, as you do with most shops. I'm sure someone will chime in.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Never heard of them. Have you checked the market here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
Done LOTS of research on them, they ALWAYS have a lot of cobras, but rarely update their website inventory when the vehicles sell. The salesmen seemed straightforward when I talked to them.

98cobradan

Established Member
Done LOTS of research on them, they ALWAYS have a lot of cobras, but rarely update their website inventory when the vehicles sell. The salesmen seemed straightforward when I talked to them.
I'm not so much worried about the dealer but wanting to know if anyone has dealt with the shop it was built at.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have not checked the market, as I'm a currently TDY in Texas. But I'm just looking to purchase a well build high HP cobra and have it shipped back to my home station.

Gotcha. Good luck make sure you have a compression test, and leak down test done. If you can't look at it have someone who is close on here give it a once over.

98cobradan

Established Member
Gotcha. Good luck make sure you have a compression test, and leak down test done. If you can't look at it have someone who is close on here give it a once over.

I am close to Dallas so i am able to see the car. Do you suggest a third party compression/leak down test. Granted it is being sold by a dealer so they could tell me it was done and everything is good, just to sell a car.

98cobradan

Established Member
Always makes me nervous when you see a "freshly built" car for sale.....I'll never understand why people do that
Yes I see it all the time! Why build it then put 1000miles on it then sell it. But people buy them like that. In reality what should you really believe is the reason why they are selling it....great build on a car or has hidden problems that aren't disclosed, or for whatever reason they tell you. But there are few honest people out there selling freshly built cars.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yes I see it all the time! Why build it then put 1000miles on it then sell it. But people buy them like that. In reality what should you really believe is the reason why they are selling it....great build on a car or has hidden problems that aren't disclosed, or for whatever reason they tell you. But there are few honest people out there selling freshly built cars.

Always makes me nervous when you see a "freshly built" car for sale.....I'll never understand why people do that

Happens more often than you guys may think. Usually it happens because the build took WAY longer than expected, or went WAY over budget, and leaves a sour taste in the owner's mouth about the car, and they just want out of it. A lot of my new customers were on the verge of selling their car due to it not being right, we fix it, and they love it again.

Could always be simpler reasons : ie baby being born, divorce, hospital bills, etc.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I am close to Dallas so i am able to see the car. Do you suggest a third party compression/leak down test. Granted it is being sold by a dealer so they could tell me it was done and everything is good, just to sell a car.

Yes I do. A dealer could tell you anything. To me it would be worth the piece of mind. Especially for how much these cars can cost, the age of them, different owners, etc. A general rule of thumb on these cars if you are looking at one is a compression test and leak down test. It's also nice if you can check the AFR.

TX03DSG

Established Member
I used Gearheads for my dyno and that was over 2 years ago and still no problems. It's a kb 2.2 on E85 putting down 661/681 on the 5th pull at 90 degrees outside. I have seen multiple 03-04's there that come out badass. Good luck the car looks killer!

MG0h3

Established Member
I agree with Z on selling a car after years of work. Happened to me on a dart blocked turbo fox. I ended up parting it out with under 1k miles on the build.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Few years back when i was shopping around for a Cobra, I checked those guys out they always have a nice selection of modded cobras, but they want premium dollars for their cars regardless of mileage.

4stang6

Established Member
I have used GearHeads alot for my performance needs, My friends as well, Have not had any bad out of them...
My Longblock is actually getting built by them at this time...This is the 2nd engine I've had them build for me, NOT the same car though, First one was for a 96 Cobra back in 2010, and this 1 is for my 03 Cobra I purchased to flip.
He did a tune on my 96 with a vortech, then swapped to a D1, then added nitrous, Did all of that with the stock fuel system too! Put down good numbers and drove it that way several years! Travis and his crew there know their shit...
He's tuned multiple friends cars, and also did some cam install and heads as wellong for friends...
Again GearHeads is the only shop I use, and I live close to 2.5hrs away! And I never mind making that drive to get my car worked on with them because they are all down to earth peeps too...
My friends nor I personally have ever had issues with their work..I would not be afraid of anything they have built, As long as there is invoices to prove they did the work the seller mentioned.
Good luck!

98cobradan

Established Member
Few years back when i was shopping around for a Cobra, I checked those guys out they always have a nice selection of modded cobras, but they want premium dollars for their cars regardless of mileage.
That price seems reasonable, if it truly has a built motor twin turbo, trans and SRA.

Users who are viewing this thread