anyone know of good motorcycle forums?

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
I've wanted to start riding since before i was sixteen, and im eighteen now and might finally be able to take it up. (my g/f lives 35 miles away so the gas milage thing would be great... its a pitch im throwing to my mom to get her to help me out as a grad gift) I would like to learn alot about them first, i've asked everyone that comes into my work wearing leather jackets and boots if they ride and alot of them do and told me that you really have to drive for yourself, and for other people because the others arent going to be looking out for you. I also saw that helmets have a life span of about 5 years, more if its a high quality.. i didnt know this :shrug: i want to start with a 750 or 900 or around there. dont want too big, but i also want something im going to be happy with after i become good at riding. i consider myself very controlled when it comes to motors so i know that im not going to go nuts or do anything out of my skill level because ive known too many people get seriously hurt and its not even always their fault. So if anyone could help me at all i'd greatly appreciate it, like with how many miles the motors get if its different from cars, how much should i expect them to be, etc. Thanks again,
Cody

aim - oc0dyc (ocZEROdyc) ;)

94RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by c0dy
.. i didnt know this :shrug: i want to start with a 750 or 900 or around there. dont want too big, but i also want something im going to be happy with after i become good at riding.

Way too big for a beginner. Even a supersport 600 is a lot of bike for a new rider. Also, you won't become a good rider on a bike that big. Start on something small and learn.

Check out

www.sportbikes.com

www.sportbikes.net

Hope this helps.

AndersH

Established Member
I agree with 94RedCobra.
About the life span on helmets, it's correct.. 5 years more or less (keep it out of direct sunlight when your not using it). If you crash go buy a new one, because the old one will be unfit for use next time you crash. And that's even if you can't see the "damage" on the helmet.

Motors are different. It both depends on the old owners usage (like reving it when it's cold) and also if it is oil/water cooled or air cooled.. The water / oil cooled motors last longer.
Milage is different, some Honda's like VFR750 and CBR600 will easily do 62000-10000 miles without major problems and maybe even more (but it still depends on how the motor has been treated)..

The service interval is also quite shorter than cars.. Most bikes here in my country has to have changed oil every ~ 4000 miles.
The brakes will wear down sooner than a cars, and if your bike has a chain, remember to give it oil.. Read the service manuel, there's plenty of maintenance on a bike :)

Safety equitment is good.. I like it.. A helmet is nice :) I have a backprotector (the ones that's fitted in jackets suck compared to "the real ones").. Gloves are also nice to have.. guess what you'll be "breaking your fall" with - yeah your hands..
If you think all the protection gear is for sissies try buying a steak and drag it down a road while putting pressure on it (it will be gone quite fast, the same will you if you crash ;-)

And last.. Don't forget what it's all about:
1: HAVING FUN!
2: HAVING FUN!
3: HAVING FUN! etc. etc..

:)

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
A 600 would be a bit much for a beginner but he can grow into it, he just has to take it easy at first.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i went to the dealership today and sat on a ninja 250r, i think its perfect. a small motor, but it has a power to weight ratio probably double that of my car (which is good because i dont want it to be dog slow... even though that still is :p) my car has 105hp 127 tq it weighs about 2650 with me in it and the bike weighs 302 dry. Its 3k at the place, 4.9% apr 36 month $49 min (id be paying prolly $200 in the summer and 50-100 the rest of the year - per month). what are your thoughts on this? its an 04 with 1.6 miles on it, so it has the break in period ahead of it. I kinda want something new because i dont want to worry about how someone else has mistreated it, and this would be good... thanks for input, let me know what you think about the ninja. It was the perfect height and weight so its comfy..
edit: we figured it to be about 4k after gear purchase and reg.

bloodhound248

Classic Muscle Car Guru
Established Member
^^^
Bad idea.

One of my friends owns a 250 r, he bought it brand new. It was great for about a week until he wanted something more powerful.

Now hes stuck with a 250 cc bike. I say start off with a 500-600 cc bike, but take it very easy at first. Be safe, good luck.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
id like more power... but i mean, one of the big things is mpg. what should i expect if i were to get the 250? as long as its got decent (like 160hp in a 2500lbs car) pull, ill be happy... yeah its been THAT long since ive been in a fast car :p

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Originally posted by bloodhound248
^^^
Bad idea.

One of my friends owns a 250 r, he bought it brand new. It was great for about a week until he wanted something more powerful.

Now hes stuck with a 250 cc bike. I say start off with a 500-600 cc bike, but take it very easy at first. Be safe, good luck.

Exactly what i was gonna say.

Users who are viewing this thread