Anyone know a good (relatively inexpensive) photographer?

mav_tu

Established Member
My fiancee and I are getting married in July and have been looking for a photographer for months. We keep seeing these enormous (to us) price tags - $1500-$6000. And for $1500 they didn't even provide a DVD with the images on them. I just can't bring myself to spend a few grand on a photographer. Does anyone know someone who has a portfolio we can look at that will be more in the $1000 or less price range.

On a side note, are those prices really what photographers are making these days? :shrug:

divided

Established Member
I always LOL at people who want to skimp on a photographer for their wedding. Dude you get what you pay for. I think you're making a big big mistake looking for a 'cheap' photographer. You only get married once (for the most part) why risk all the memories to save a G or two?

mav_tu

Established Member
I always LOL at people who want to skimp on a photographer for their wedding. Dude you get what you pay for. I think you're making a big big mistake looking for a 'cheap' photographer. You only get married once (for the most part) why risk all the memories to save a G or two?

Only save a G or two? Sounds like you have plenty of money. Can I have some?

This is a self-sponsored wedding. We don't have mommy and daddy paying for everything. She is a first year school teacher, and I am a student. We have to be economical. $4000 for pictures is NOT economical.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Go on Craigs List. Try to find a Photography student. Does the price quoted include the printing of photos too? Remember that is a large cost for the photographer.

I have seen people ask their guests who have really good cameras to bring them and shoot and then put disposable digital cameras on each table for the guests to take candid shots.

Furinox

Established Member
Not going to get good pictures for less than that unless they are a friend doing a favor. It's not like the only time they put into it is coming to the wedding and snapping some shots. Ours was around 3k without dvd(order from a website). After all was done we were presented with over 700 photos all edited to choose from. Doing some photography myself I can see why it adds up when you may spend 30minutes-hour processing ONE photo. Let's say the photographer is awesome at post editing quickly so they spend 10 minutes on each photo -- That's 116 hours for 700 photos. We had the photographers for 6 hours so that 122 hours total at $24 an hour.

Last edited:

mav_tu

Established Member
Does the price quoted include the printing of photos too?

Well, once I got into the $3000+ range, yes. $1500-2500 didn't include prints or DVDs of the edited photos.

Not going to get good pictures for less than that unless they are a friend doing a favor. It's not like the only time they put into it is coming to the wedding and snapping some shots. Ours was around 3k without dvd(order from a website). After all was done we were presented with over 700 photos all edited to choose from. Doing some photography myself I can see why it adds up when you may spend 30minutes-hour processing ONE photo. Let's say the photographer is awesome at post editing quickly so they spend 10 minutes on each photo -- That's 116 hours for 700 photos. We had the photographers for 6 hours so that 122 hours total at $24 an hour.

Dang, I hadn't added up the hours like that. Can a brother get a break?!

Last edited:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
My fiancee and I are getting married in July and have been looking for a photographer for months. We keep seeing these enormous (to us) price tags - $1500-$6000. And for $1500 they didn't even provide a DVD with the images on them. I just can't bring myself to spend a few grand on a photographer. Does anyone know someone who has a portfolio we can look at that will be more in the $1000 or less price range.

On a side note, are those prices really what photographers are making these days? :shrug:

i have a friend whose parents are photographers...i'll ask them how much it will cost.

sidenote, i didnt even know you were on SVTp

EDIT: i asked and they want way to much haha...goodluck with the photographer UFgatorguy20 reffered you too

Last edited:

mav_tu

Established Member
i have a friend whose parents are photographers...i'll ask them how much it will cost.

sidenote, i didnt even know you were on SVTp

Thanks for checking!

I didn't know you were on SVTP either. But then again, I don't know who you are! LOL Do you know me?

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
MAV TU: Trust me... I've done this twice. lol. It is possible to shop for a good photographer at a reasonable price for your wedding. I used "the pros" my first time around. I paid roughly $5,000 for a wedding album I NEVER EVEN SAW. It took them over a year to create... by that time, my ex-wife and I were on the way out. They took some good shots (after I recommended them) and uploaded them online, but customer service was non-existent. Hilarious because my ex-mother-in-law supposedly got a copy of the album and has it up in her house... just to spite her daughter for what she was kind enough to do to me 8 months into our marriage. Moving on...

I just got married again back in December 2009. We used a friend from church. She did an AMAZING job. Her name is Keri Janssen. kjanssenphoto -- Keri Janssen Seriously... incredible. She lives in Oviedo. Since she was a friend, she only charged us $300. That was for unlimited shots + video and all uploaded onto DVDs for us. I'm assuming she would charge around $500 for someone she didn't know. She's relatively new to the business, but is amazing at what she does. She's middle aged and has her daughters help her out. She takes her time. Meets with you in person. She's very caring and one of the nicest ladies I know. Here are some shots from my wedding:

4619433804_bb9bbcd5b3_o.jpg

4619433818_7cf13ca5a3_o.jpg

4619433810_a6523accd0_o.jpg

4619433816_13c06e534c_o.jpg

4619473026_6897373595_o.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mav_tu

Established Member
We used a friend from church. She did an AMAZING job. Her name is Keri Janssen. kjanssenphoto -- Keri Janssen Seriously... incredible. She lives in Oviedo. Since she was a friend, she only charged us $300. That was for unlimited shots + video and all uploaded onto DVDs for us. I'm assuming she would charge around $500 for someone she didn't know. She's relatively new to the business, but is amazing at what she does. She's middle aged and has her daughters help her out. She takes her time. Meets with you in person. She's very caring and one of the nicest ladies I know. Here are some shots from my wedding:

Hope this helps!

Contacting now. What's your name (PM me if you'd rather), just so she'll know who referred her!

Predatorbird

Established Member
You need to find someone just starting out in the business and needs to create a portfolio for themself. Have you taken engagement photos? If you haven't find someone to take those to get an idea of their talent.

Users who are viewing this thread