Anyone keep track of their budget with Excel?

jliddle

Established Member
I have downloaded a few templates and they just seem complicated.

Anyone else use Excel to keep on budget? What type of template do you use?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I used to use Excel, but now use Google Docs, which is essentially the same thing but online. No need for a complicated template, IMO. Mine is very basic - what comes in, what goes out, and what's left for the month to month expenses. Excel is simple, so it's easy to create your own.

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
I used to use Excel, but now use Google Docs, which is essentially the same thing but online. No need for a complicated template, IMO. Mine is very basic - what comes in, what goes out, and what's left for the month to month expenses. Excel is simple, so it's easy to create your own.

Agreed. Create your own. Knowing the setup/template you created will make things much easier in the long run.

jliddle

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Trying to come up with my own now.

Any suggestions on how to track a commision based income?

In other words I dont get paid 40hrs a week, but by the hours I work per week. Maybe figure up avg hours? Kinda lost there haha

Felix C

Established Member

In other words I dont get paid 40hrs a week, but by the hours I work per week. Maybe figure up avg hours? Kinda lost there haha

Have been using Excel for years to keep track of payroll, budgets, etc. I create my own depending on the application.

week, hours worked, rate of pay, comm due calc with formula @sum(rate of pay *hours worked), comm paid

Something like that? Is that what you are after?

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Yes, I use excel to do our budget. I just use simple formulas and add everything up so I know how much spending money we are allowed every month, how much goes to savings etc.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Same here
No, but I track my excel with excel.

lmao I needed a good laugh today.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I used excel for my payroll when I was working for myself doing computer work. Pretty easy. Not sure what programs are best for keeping track of your budget though.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
O. Quicken is amazing for this. It will automatically pull in all your info from your account and pretty much categorize everything for you automatically and give you a break down and allow you to track everything.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member

How and when you earn the money doesn't matter. The spreadsheet doesn't care if you made $100 in 1 minute or 60 minutes. I would start by creating a simple in vs. out spreadsheet and then build from there as you see fit. If you want to figure out how much you earn per hour, day, minute, etc, set that up in a separate column.

Other than seeing what comes in and what goes out, is there something you're looking to do by creating a budget?

jliddle

Established Member
How and when you earn the money doesn't matter. The spreadsheet doesn't care if you made $100 in 1 minute or 60 minutes. I would start by creating a simple in vs. out spreadsheet and then build from there as you see fit. If you want to figure out how much you earn per hour, day, minute, etc, set that up in a separate column.

Other than seeing what comes in and what goes out, is there something you're looking to do by creating a budget?

Nothing specifically no. Just get a better idea of how to manage my funds more efficiently rather than my current routine.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Cool. Then definitely just set up an in vs. out spreadsheet and go from there. You might want to subcategorize expenses (groceries, car expenses, rent, entertainment, etc) to help see where the money goes. You'll notice that things like bar tabs and eating out add up pretty quick. lol.

jliddle

Established Member
Cool. Then definitely just set up an in vs. out spreadsheet and go from there. You might want to subcategorize expenses (groceries, car expenses, rent, entertainment, etc) to help see where the money goes. You'll notice that things like bar tabs and eating out add up pretty quick. lol.

Right on. Thanks

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
I have used Excel to track my income and budget for over 10 years. I have never seen a template that was complete enough for me. I would suggest creating a workbook of your own. Use lots of tabs for individual budgets and let the first sheet be a summary. It can be a lot work up front but if you do it right it is very little work to maintain.

Also remember detail is key. Track every penny. Its really just a numbers game, if you play by the rules it will help you greatly. If you bend the rules of the game, you lose.

Good luck.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
O. Quicken is amazing for this. It will automatically pull in all your info from your account and pretty much categorize everything for you automatically and give you a break down and allow you to track everything.

This!!!

Users who are viewing this thread