Anyone Installed Side Pipes on Their 07-09 GT500?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Really liked the sound effect on my 12 Boss 302 and was thinking of getting something fabricated for my 08.

Anyone here done it? If so, what combo of exhaust components did you have (headers, cats/cat less, etc.) and how did it sound?

barspen

Established Member
I purchased the 2011-12 specific FRPP kit and bolted them on. Had to cut the existing OTA pipes (with a sawzall) and clamp it in place, but not that hard of a job on jack stands.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
^^^ Thanks for posting up your old thread. That was quite the project! I will be consulting with a local exhaust shop to see if they could do the job on my 08.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It had a sound that was unobtrusive yet aggressive and at near 360° instead of just spewing out the rear. The Borla/FRPP mufflers I was using sounded good but were definitely augmented with this system in place.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
It had a sound that was unobtrusive yet aggressive and at near 360° instead of just spewing out the rear. The Borla/FRPP mufflers I was using sounded good but were definitely augmented with this system in place.

That's exactly what I'm after. Currently with the Borla's out back....it seems very muted (at least from inside the car). I have had some people compliment the current sound.....from behind/outside the car. Part of the problem is I've been used to BBK catted X-pipe with Magnaflow competition cat back system on a 98 Cobra vert.....so definitely a lot more audible (really liked that setup). :)

Thanks again for the input. One of the great reasons to be part of this forum!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have side exhaust on my ACR..basically just straight pipes so it's more extreme than the way you'll end up going, but it's insanely annoying. I wish it were a rear exit.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think its in the thread somewhere but I had a brief discussion with the engineer behind the Boss 302 exhaust system. I told him that I had cut mine apart (for fitment) and noticed some very restrictive, lawmmower-sized, mini mufflers inside and was curious about the sound if I removed them from the sidepipes. His response was don't, that they had obviously tried that configuration, and that it was annoyingly loud. The intent of them (the sidepipes) was to augment and fine tune as opposed to being the primary audible source of exhaust noise.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I think its in the thread somewhere but I had a brief discussion with the engineer behind the Boss 302 exhaust system. I told him that I had cut mine apart (for fitment) and noticed some very restrictive, lawmmower-sized, mini mufflers inside and was curious about the sound if I removed them from the sidepipes. His response was don't, that they had obviously tried that configuration, and that it was annoyingly loud. The intent of them (the sidepipes) was to augment and fine tune as opposed to being the primary audible source of exhaust noise.

I remember reading about that as well. Have to meet legal sound limits coming out of the factory. The restrictor plates were removed by most once they took delivery :).....

I loved the additional snap, crackle, pop that was made thru the Boss 302 when the Track Key was enabled....sounded wicked good!

Users who are viewing this thread