Anyone install a Sirius or XM radio?

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Wondering if you settled for the roof mount? I don't want to stick mine up there because it's yet another piece of black textured plastic that I'll have to avoid when waxing the car. If the truck were metal, it would be okay. That's the easiest out of the way place our cars have to mount something like this. PLUS I could just drop it into the truck while I wash.

Anyway, thoughts gentlemen....

Hepcat007

Established Member
I use a skyfi XM unit in my Cobra from time to time. Instead of putting the antenna on my roof, i just ran it back and put it on the rear deck lid. That way it doesn't look stupid sitting on top of your car. You occasilonally get some signal drop but overall its not too bad. Plus the newer antennas are better than the one I have.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I put mine right on the top corner neer drivers side rear window. i pull it back when i wax mine

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Talked to my bro in-law, who is quite techy and he gave a ton of reasons to mount it where they say to. He wasn't saying it wouldn't work if I didn't, just that if I want the best reception then I better.
The antenna needs a medal surface to assist in signal deflection and should be surounded by 6" of metal surface on all sides. Otherwise the antenna becomes slightly directional and could cause a lot of drops. I'm down in Florida and the sats are in the north. I need as much reception as possible unless Tampa is one of the places that has ground repeaters.
Might play with it more before doing the stock install.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Stuck it on the back deck-lid (inside car) and it's working so far. I'll see what happens when I drive around. I doubt it will continue to work but if it does-- W00T! I have a clean solution that I won't have to wash around!!!

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Well when I had mine on my car I put it on the black trim around the top by the trunk but your coupe doesn't have that so sorry.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I literally "stuck" my Sirius antena to the rear deck lid with a couple dabs of rtv on the back of the base. I thought the antenna looked goofy sitting on the roof in addition to the fact that I've seen how those magnetic antennas can really cause abrasive damage to the cars finish where ever they are sitting. With the rtv I can take the antenna off and buff it off whenever I need to. I haven't had any problems w/ signal reception and I've taken several road trips though it's mostly been in the midwest.

blubyeu

Established Member
They both suck, I've had XM for 4 years and it's a waste of money unless you have a commute, or take road trips fairly often. The problem is they cater to varying tastes across the country so you will get a fair amount of music you like, but at the same time you will get songs that suck.

I have satellite radio in two of my vehicles. One of them crapped out two months ago and I don't really miss it. After 4 years it was refreshing to flip through the local stations again even though the commercials are totally annoying.

If you like talk radio, you may find it interesting for a while, but you will find they repeat a lot of the bits over and over.

blubyeu

Established Member
blubyeu said:
They both suck, I've had XM for 4 years and it's a waste of money unless you have a commute, or take road trips fairly often. The problem is they cater to varying tastes across the country so you will get a fair amount of music you like, but at the same time you will get songs that suck.

I have satellite radio in two of my vehicles. One of them crapped out two months ago and I don't really miss it. After 4 years it was refreshing to flip through the local stations again even though the commercials are totally annoying.

If you like talk radio, you may find it interesting for a while, but you will find they repeat a lot of the bits over and over.

P.S. I have the antenna's mounted on the inside (back window of car and dash of truck). How much dropout you get depends on your local terrain (tree's hills, etc). Not bad here in the midwest. XM has those little micro antenna's that are the size of a matchbook. They are barely noticable on the outside of the car.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Sirius has ultra low profile antennas so they look okay outside the car. The commercials in Florida are just about the worst and MOST annoying I've ever heard. For that fact alone I want satellite. I could never image terrestrial radio being refreshing at any point. Florida is just about as flat as it gets so I should be good on that point.
The wife and I take many trips back to Tennessee one or twice a year to visit family and we'll be taking more trips now that our first kid is about to spring out.

The true reason I got the radio was for Howard Stern. ;-)

GA Terminator

Established Member
I put my XM on top of the rear quarter panel next to the bottom of the A pillar, right next to the right hand corner of the trunk lid. To much hassel on the roof, running the wire under the weather stripping.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
This was my solution and it works great!!! I'm so stoked!

antenna.gif

receiver.gif

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Laser Cobra, you haven't had any issues with putting the antenna there? I just picked up my S50 yesterday and was considering doing an antenna delete and put it there. If your not having problems, then thats where mines going too.

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
svtxchinoy said:
Laser Cobra, you haven't had any issues with putting the antenna there? I just picked up my S50 yesterday and was considering doing an antenna delete and put it there. If your not having problems, then thats where mines going too.
Nice choice. The S50 looks incredible mounted in cars. :thumbsup:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
svtxchinoy said:

None. Even in a 6 story parking garage. Tampa obviously has ground repeaters. In my office I get 100% signal strength on terrestrial and 0% on satellite.
The S50 seems like a cool product but I already have an iPod and I can't explain that to the wife...

Users who are viewing this thread