Anyone in San diego near the border?

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I am looking to get some absinthe from a place in Tijuana. Having never been across the border I have no idea what the standards are about buying alcohol in mexico and bringing it back into the states. Can anyone shed some light on the subject. Also if it isnt a huge ordeal would someone here be willing to get me a bottle and ship it to me?

thanks in advance, travis

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
while I work about 10 miles from the border (most of the time) it's to much of a pain in the posterior for me to go to Mexico (have to get a note from the CO bla bla bla)

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
actually its all the same... I'v had it in Europe and bought it in the sates. they reason it got the "green fairy" name was that because back in the day they didn't distill it enough so it had large amount of the root extract i.e. toxin. But now the way they distill it you would have to drink bottles of the stuff to get the same effect.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe]Absinthe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
while I work about 10 miles from the border (most of the time) it's to much of a pain in the posterior for me to go to Mexico (have to get a note from the CO bla bla bla)

fair enough... have you ever brought alcohol into the US from mexico.. as I said I have never been out of the US so I have no idea

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
actually its all the same... I'v had it in Europe and bought it in the sates. they reason it got the "green fairy" name was that because back in the day they didn't distill it enough so it had large amount of the root extract i.e. toxin. But now the way they distill it you would have to drink bottles of the stuff to get the same effect.

Absinthe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dude it NOT the same.. I didnt read the wiki because I know the the FDA still regulates thujone.. period. There is plenty of info on the web that backs this up and plainly states that the tunjone levels in absinthe sold in the us HAS to be less that 10lg.

I know what absinthe is, I know how it works, I KNOW it doesnt make you hallucinate.. I know the levels years ago were exponentially larger than they are today.. it is estimated that the thujone levels in absinthe in the edgar allen poe days was upwards of 270mg vs the typical max of 30mg today.

Q/A
Why is absinthe now being sold in the United States?

As of October 2007, the TTB a bureau under the Department of the Treasury has updated policy regarding the use of the term "absinthe" on labels of distilled spirits products and in related advertising material. They have approved the use of the term "absinthe" on the label of a distilled spirits product and in related advertisements only if the product is "thujone-free" pursuant to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) regulations.

Based on the updated policy, absinthe is considered "thujone-free" if it contains 10 ppm or less thujone.
taken from absinthe faq: Absinthe Buyers Guide

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
United States

The prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law and regulations among American absinthe connoisseurs is that, with the revision of thujone levels by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), it is now legal to purchase such a product for personal use in the U.S. According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food and beverages that contain Artemisia species must be thujone free.[91] Thujone free is defined as containing less than 10ppm thujone.[92] There is no corresponding US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) regulation. Regarding importation of absinthe, U.S. Customs and Border Protection allows importation of absinthe products subject to the following restrictions:

* The product must be thujone-free as described above,
* The name "absinthe" can neither be the brand name nor stand alone on the label, and
* The packaging cannot "project images of hallucinogenic, psychotropic or mind-altering effects."

Absinthe imported in violation of these regulations can be seized.[93][94] Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs and Border Protection if it appears to be for human consumption.[95][96]

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of grande wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States. This was the first US approval referring to "absinthe" on the front label; the front label says "Absinthe Refined" but the TTB classified the product as liqueur. In 2007, TTB relaxed the US absinthe ban, and has now approved over 50 brands for sale.[97] These brands must pass TTB testing, which is conducted using Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry.[98] The TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA’s test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10 mg/kg) thujone.[99] St. George Spirits, a California distillery, also began producing and selling absinthe in 2007, the first US company to do so since 1912.[100]

per your wikipedia

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
that last paragraph also answers my question about importing and having someone do it for me. so thanks guys anyways but I wouldnt want to get anyone in hot water over something so silly.

68gtscode

Established Member
I also read the full wiki article on this stuff, very interesting. I have been to TJ a few times, but I never tried to bring acohol back over the border. I have bought alcohol a few times down in Cabo at the airport duty free shop, and had no problem bringing it back in. I'm not sure if the rules are different for duty free?

Either way it sounds like this stuff is available in the US now, and I'm going to give it a try because of this post... thanks!

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
As long as u stick with 2 bottles or less you'll be fine.

I smuggled some Absinthe back from europe. I bought it in Prauge and they said it was the real deal. It's called Absinth king of spirits with a pic of Van Gogh in the front. I bought the little personal bottle that's like 2 shots. I didn't want to fork over $100 bucks for the big bottle then get it taken away by customs.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
As long as u stick with 2 bottles or less you'll be fine.

I smuggled some Absinthe back from europe. I bought it in Prauge and they said it was the real deal. It's called Absinth king of spirits with a pic of Van Gogh in the front. I bought the little personal bottle that's like 2 shots. I didn't want to fork over $100 bucks for the big bottle then get it taken away by customs.

King is some fantastic absinthe!!!

Users who are viewing this thread