Anyone in Midwest do time serts?

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
I recently blew a spark plug and would like to do a time sert to fix it. All of the shops want to take the head off. I know it can be done with it on though. does anyone live by Nebraska that has done one or knows where to go? Any help would be great. Thanks

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
He has actually done it to his car so I will send him the link and he will tell you how to do it exactly. You don't have to take off the head.

B.D.A.

Established Member
Ya it can be done. I broke the top off a spark plug when I first got my 2000 GT. My father had to drill out the middle of the plug, then used a punch to bend and breack the threaded part of the plug and push it in to the cylinder, after it was pushed through he used a magnet ad compresed air to get the bits out. After all that he just went to a parts shop and bought a spark plug helicoil, drilled and taped the hole to match the helicoil, inserted it, and ever thing was better

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Ya it can be done. I broke the top off a spark plug when I first got my 2000 GT. My father had to drill out the middle of the plug, then used a punch to bend and breack the threaded part of the plug and push it in to the cylinder, after it was pushed through he used a magnet ad compresed air to get the bits out. After all that he just went to a parts shop and bought a spark plug helicoil, drilled and taped the hole to match the helicoil, inserted it, and ever thing was better

That is who I was talking about.

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
well I'm wondering if anyone knows a shop or someone that could do it. I'm not really wanting to take the risk never doing it before.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
If you lived just a bit closer we could just take it there and get it done. I really don't know of much in Nebraska as in the way of shops to take it to. i know of a few on Oklahoma and Missouri and here in Kansas to take it to. There I know of nothing.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
For something like that I wouldn't know since I do most of my work myself or what not. I will ask and see how much it would be about.

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
found a dealership to do it here and they are going to charge 750! I thought some of you said it takes 20 minutes. This isn't a reasonable price is it?

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
That's what i thought, i just dont feel comfortable drilling into my head like that never doing it before. That's why im asking

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
It is really easy. You aren't really "drilling into the head" You are drilling the plug out. I have never done it myself but I would still trust myself to do it because it is that Simple :)

Users who are viewing this thread