anyone here know about house titles??

roadwarrior60

Established Member
well here we go, today is the worst day of my life!!!:( :( its the day that the girlfriend i just bought a house with 3 months ago decided to end it all:( :cryying: she wants out of the house. problems with this are that houses around here aren't selling right now and if they do its not for a good price(and I put $10k down on the house that i dont wanna give up on). problem #2 is that i have nowhere to go, so i have to keep the house. but if she isn't gonna be living here, i want her name off the title and SOON!! but i dont know how to go about doing it?? and the shitty part about it is that before we moved in, i "loaned" her $4k to pay off an old car loan that was keeping her from qualifying to be on the title:( AND not even a month ago, i bought her $5k wedding ring and i planned on proposing on our anniversary(november 22nd). this friggin sucks!!!!!!!! now i have more bills than i have money, and i lost the 2 women i loved more than life itself( her and her 3 year old daughter):( :( :( :( :( :( so i guess the only things i need to know is how to go about getting her name off the title?? am i gonna have to refinance on my own??

roadwarrior60

Established Member
bchisom99 said:
Don't know how RE law works in AZ, in Ohio you could just have her sign a quit claim deed.

wow! that just seems too easy! but hell it would be awesome of thats all i had to do. any idea on where i could go to figure out how things work in az?? or any idea on where i would get a form like that??

roadwarrior60

Established Member
Worsedog said:
A real estate attorney would be your best source of information.

yeah thats what i was thinkin, but #1 its late and i work all day everyday till friday, and #2 im guessing his/her services wouldn't be cheap, and i need to be saving every penny right now so i can pay the payment thats due in a week:(

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Get a Quit Claim form, fill it out and have her sign it. It would also be a good idea to get it notarized too.

I actually went through this exact same thing many years ago with a girlfriend, except we owned the house for much longer.

If you and her can agree on how to split the assets, the quit claim should be enough.

If you decide to go to an attorney, go by yourself. Also hope that she doesn't go see one too. If she decides to consult her own attorney, they will probably make you get the house appraised so they can calculate an equity payout for her.

Since you just bought the house, there is very little equity that you would probably need to pay her (if any). Hopefully it won't come to that since the equity payout, appraisal, and legal fees will cost you even more money.

Best thing to do would be to get the quit claim form completed and get as many details worked out with your girlfriend. Then consult a real-estate attorney to make sure you have everything in order and wrap things up. I recall that the attorney fees were negligible, but call and ask to be sure.

Once that's all done, you'll probably need to contact the county clerk's office and notify them that your girlfriend's name should no longer be on the records. If I recall correctly, they have a form you fill out to get that done and will require a copy of the quit claim.

If you can swing it, try to keep the house. Get rid of your expensive cars if necessary.

Last edited:

bspencer

Established Member
Go back to the tile company that you used when you bought the property. They will do it for much cheaper than a Real Estate Attorney.

JPD5801

Established Member
Something tells me this broad will want to get "her half" of the house --> meaning you may need to refinance and pay her off. You probably won't owe her much (probably just her portion of the down payment, if any of it was hers), but I bet she will want some cash back.

BTW....Sorry to hear about your luck.

taronis

Banned
if her name is on a mortgage and her income was counted for the loan, she is bound and must pay her part, or you will need to buy her off the loan by rewriting with some income to replace hers....

bchisom99

Established Member
taronis said:
if her name is on a mortgage and her income was counted for the loan, she is bound and must pay her part, or you will need to buy her off the loan by rewriting with some income to replace hers....

Yeah, I didn't think about that, I guess he did say bought a house "With". If she's also on the mortgage you've got some work cut out. . .

If you want a quit claim deed I can email one to you, got them on my HD at work. . . however calling your title co. isn't a bad idea to make sure it is executed per your state laws. . .

roadwarrior60

Established Member
NyteByte said:
Get a Quit Claim form, fill it out and have her sign it. It would also be a good idea to get it notarized too.

I actually went through this exact same thing many years ago with a girlfriend, except we owned the house for much longer.

If you and her can agree on how to split the assets, the quit claim should be enough.

If you decide to go to an attorney, go by yourself. Also hope that she doesn't go see one too. If she decides to consult her own attorney, they will probably make you get the house appraised so they can calculate an equity payout for her.

Since you just bought the house, there is very little equity that you would probably need to pay her (if any). Hopefully it won't come to that since the equity payout, appraisal, and legal fees will cost you even more money.

Best thing to do would be to get the quit claim form completed and get as many details worked out with your girlfriend. Then consult a real-estate attorney to make sure you have everything in order and wrap things up. I recall that the attorney fees were negligible, but call and ask to be sure.

Once that's all done, you'll probably need to contact the county clerk's office and notify them that your girlfriend's name should no longer be on the records. If I recall correctly, they have a form you fill out to get that done and will require a copy of the quit claim.

If you can swing it, try to keep the house. Get rid of your expensive cars if necessary.

well, in my mind there is no splitting the assets. cause the only thing she paid for is bathroom decor. EVERYTHING else was paid for by yours truly. and not that i know for a fact that she wont, but considering she cant even pay her portion of the bills i dont think she is going to find an attorney. i however have a family friend who has offered his services for free, so needless to say i have set up an appointment to talk to him. where could/would i go to get this quit claim form??

and p.s. im not getting rid of any of my cars!! i worked WAY to hard to get them in the first place

roadwarrior60

Established Member
JPD5801 said:
Something tells me this broad will want to get "her half" of the house --> meaning you may need to refinance and pay her off. You probably won't owe her much (probably just her portion of the down payment, if any of it was hers), but I bet she will want some cash back.

BTW....Sorry to hear about your luck.

something tells me you might be right!! and i prequalified by myself for about $60k more than we got the house for, so im not worried about that. just the time that it would take that i just plain dont have right now:( and HA!! her put money down for a down payment?!?!? YEAH RIGHT!! i on the other hand dropped $10k down, just so SHE could afford her half of the payments. man i'll tell ya what, looking back at all this im seeing how freakin STUPID i was!!!!!

roadwarrior60

Established Member
taronis said:

she is on the mortgage. but the real question is......what if she doesn't pay her part?? isn't that gonna hurt my credit?? and i already have a couple people lined up for possible roommates, but i would rather have the house just under my name, with them as renters or whatever.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
bchisom99 said:
Yeah, I didn't think about that, I guess he did say bought a house "With". If she's also on the mortgage you've got some work cut out. . .

If you want a quit claim deed I can email one to you, got them on my HD at work. . . however calling your title co. isn't a bad idea to make sure it is executed per your state laws. . .

yeah i figured this wouldn't be too easy:( but im pretty sure ill be better off in the end. and yeah if you could email that too me that would be awesome:beer: email is the same as my svtp usename @yahoo.com
thanks man i really appreciate it:beer: :beer:

taronis

Banned
roadwarrior60 said:
she is on the mortgage. but the real question is......what if she doesn't pay her part?? isn't that gonna hurt my credit?? and i already have a couple people lined up for possible roommates, but i would rather have the house just under my name, with them as renters or whatever.

YES, SHE CAN F**K YOUR CREDIT. IF YOU DON'T MKE THE PAYMENTS YOU WILL BE IN DEFAULT.

taronis

Banned
roadwarrior60 said:
something tells me you might be right!! and i prequalified by myself for about $60k more than we got the house for, so im not worried about that. just the time that it would take that i just plain dont have right now:( and HA!! her put money down for a down payment?!?!? YEAH RIGHT!! i on the other hand dropped $10k down, just so SHE could afford her half of the payments. man i'll tell ya what, looking back at all this im seeing how freakin STUPID i was!!!!!

WE ALL THINK WITH THE WRONG HEAD FROM TIME TO TIME. SORRY.

bspencer

Established Member
Just make sure you pay the mortgage on time. She might be entitled to half the equity in the house depending on the state laws. However, being friends with an appraiser can get you out of that one. The real Estate market has been weak in many parts of the country recently.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
The way I'm reading this scenario, there is no equity to speak of. With only $10K down, it sounds like there may be negative equity!?! :shrug:

By the time he sells the house (for probably less than he paid for it thanks to the soft housing market) and pays a real estate commission, he'll actually have to bring money to the closing. :(

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Just do the quit claim deed (like mentioned)!

Also go to the title compny first (like mentioned)!

If you have proof that you paid the 10k down payment, get it make copies, and keep it safe (from her)!

If you were the one paying the house payment, and have records of that (check carbons, or debits from your account, make copies and keep them safe (from her)!

Explain to the title company the situation and tell them you just need to get her name off the title with a quit claim deed! Verify it with a RE Attorney (most title companies will have their own Notoray (sp?), and can point you to a RE attorney)

Approach her with all the forms needing just her signature, to quit claim over to you (you may have to do something like John Doe, and Jane Doe quit claim this property to John Doe) you being John, her being Jane..lol

If she cries about wanting money out of it, explain to her that you have all the documentation showing that only you made the actual payments, and kindly tell her that she is just going to drag it out, and legaly she is bound to pay half (if she wants to go there).......If she really just wants out, she will sign it and be doen with it! If she threatens to sue for half the equity, let her know you will counter-sue for half the original down payment, as well as half of all the past mortgage payments, which will be far more than what little equity the house has accumulated!

Good luck!
Ken:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread