Anyone here know about evo's?

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
Sorry to post evo related questions in an svt forum, but I applied yesterday to an evo forum and am still waiting for the mods to activate me so I can ask there. I know alot of you are knowledgeable about 'em because I frequented these boards a couple years ago.
I used to have an 03 cobra, but had to sell it, and now am looking to get an evo due to the awd nature (harsh winters here at times) of the car.

NOW, I am going out today to get an evo and have an interesting opportunity but I don't know enough about evo's to make an INFORMED decision.

There is a dealer near me that has a new '06 EVO MR that they said they'd sell for invoice because they are trying to get rid of it (msrp in the 37k range) and don't know invoice price. Am going to go check on it. Other dealer has three 07 EVO IX's with some options for 33k range. I am curious as to whether there are actual FUNCTIONAL differences between an 06 MR and an 07 IX or if it is just gingerbread. That will probably be my differentiating factor.

I know that when I used to always be on this forum, everyone was pretty cool, so PLEASE don't flame me for this one. Also, if you can answer please do it quick because I am leaving to check this stuff out in like 15 minutes. Thanks guys.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Big difference is that the MR has a 6 speed transmission, the others have a 5 speed. If you're into drag racing, the tranny in the MR would hold you back.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
man, is that the one on top gear where he was drifting with one finger? those cars are definately badass, changed my whole view of evos altogether.

the one i'm talking about had fins on the roof (called diffusers) and had 400hp factory.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
wait till the new evo's come out. paddle shifting 6spd, and supposedly the new world engine powerplant is going to be able to hold even more power than the current 4g63 due to direct injection (fuel is only introduced into the cylinder at or before TDC, so it eliminates almost any or all chance of knock/predetonation)

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
I just got back with the MR... Definetly nice. Sounds awesome and the turbo sounds great too. No low end torque though.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
if your going to track your car or want something with a little more punch, go with the mr. if your going to drive it around as a daily and maybe mod it a bit go with the evo 9. by the way you could bring down the price of the msrp. don't be a fool and pay what they say. also take into consideration when it comes time to service the car (money)...

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Pansy paddles on an Evo?! :xpl: Okay, I suppose it's not a complete abomination if it's an SMG, but since most people don't know the difference between a real clutch(pedal)less manual and a torque converter-slushbox with an improved 3-2-1 selector (that is, paddles on an automatic) and don't care I'm fearing it's the latter.

--T.J.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
TJSwoboda said:
Pansy paddles on an Evo?! :xpl: Okay, I suppose it's not a complete abomination if it's an SMG, but since most people don't know the difference between a real clutch(pedal)less manual and a torque converter-slushbox with an improved 3-2-1 selector (that is, paddles on an automatic) and don't care I'm fearing it's the latter.

--T.J.

I think it's supposed to have a clutch-type SMG/DSG automatic thing.

derangedazn

Established Member
Congrats on the purchase.

There are no such things as 07 Evos in the US....they stop production at the end of 06.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
TJSwoboda said:

--T.J.

negative ghostrider, mitsu may be stupid but two things theyre not going to do to them, 1 is take out the tried and true 4g63 for a weaker powerplant, and 2 is throw in a crapmatic. the Evo is their pride and joy, and it will get nothing less but the best.

i just heard the Lancer OZ will share the same powerplant but will be FWD. dunno how true that is but pretty sweet for the fwd lovers out there.

JMD0346

Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Big difference is that the MR has a 6 speed transmission, the others have a 5 speed. If you're into drag racing, the tranny in the MR would hold you back.

Why would the 6 speed hold you back? Bad ratios? I see your point if banging gears isnt your strong point but it would seem the lower, closer gear ratios of a 6 speed would get you motivating quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread