Anyone here in the reserves???

QuikGT

Banned
i am thinking about joining the military....probably air force reserves..i ve already read on it alot and met with a recruiter but i was wondering what kind of money monthly does that make you when your not active duty???? they wouldnt answer that question.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Go active duty. It's just not worth it otherwise. You make very little for your weekend drills. Then of course you're going to probably get called up anyways with the war going on. I was active duty Army for eight years and then got out and joined the reserves for a year. Trust me, just go active.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
^Concurs with the above.

And go 82nd. You'll thank me later.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Oh, if you've already got a job that you're settled into as a career, I really wouldn't do it. Unless you know that job will be waiting when you get back, no hard feelings for whatever length deployment you go on.

QuikGT

Banned
yea i know but how much did they bring home? im asking bc i want to know if it will be enough to help me get an 03-04 cobra...my payments now are 301 and i can get a cobra for around 420-475 so if it would make up the difference that would be awesome.

Juiced-03

Established Member
QuikGT said:
they wouldnt answer that question.

They did the samething with me. I told them the service to my country is great and all, but the truth is it's still a job and I still have bills to pay. I found out on my own by looking at the pay grade table that you would get somewhere around $160 per month for the weekend you served. See this chart under enlisted members (for less than two years of experience):

http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bp/paytables/FY2005_4Drill.html

A waste of a weekend for so little if you ask me.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I really wish I could tell you how much they bring home - the reservists - but I can't. I really don't know.

Keep in mind, though, that not everything you need will be issued to you. Some people believe this, but it isn't true. Or at least it isn't for an infantryman in the 82nd Airborne. $160 for a weekend might seem decent, but there's other costs. Equipment and the like, uniform stuff, etc... They might not be that bad for someone who is just serving one weekend a month, though.

slow_rider

Established Member
I was in the Army reserve for 3 years then went inactive for another 6. I had to get out cause I could not afford it anymore. I was working and getting tons of slack from my employer everytime I needed my weekend off which sometimes included friday night. The 2 weeks in the summer was like pulling teeth but they have to let you go and not fire you but they can make your life a living hell :bash:

The money was alright. Like stated about $160 a month. And with everything that is going on in the world, you would have a very good chance of being activated. I almost was activated last year (got discharged in Feb 05).

My advice would be since you have a job you like, keep it and not join unless you are going to go active. If you want a little ectra money, get a weekend job or a paper route...

If you have any questions about the reserves, feel free to ask.

Juiced-03

Established Member
slow_rider said:
If you want a little extra money, get a weekend job or a paper route...

That was my thinking as well. It would just be so much easier to get a second job for more cash. Or hell, run a detailing business on the side and do a couple cars a month!

And you still have to go to basic training initially (9 weeks I believe) so don't forget that part if you still are considering the reserves.

203Cree

Established Member
yeah bro, the one weekend a month/two weeks a year is just a sales pitch. Don't get me wrong, my enlistment in the Reserves got me where I am today, but then again I'm not wired right in the head and I'm also a glutton for punishment, so maybe that's why I like it. With 4.5 years in as a Sp4 I'm bringin in about 250 a weekend after taxes. And that original time thing, yeah, that doesn't include all the extra schools you'll go to, or the days you'll need to run around takin care of Army shit, or the 17 months straight they'll deploy your ass to Iraq (wait, that was just me), the list goes on. If you've got nothin better to do, go for it, but if you've got a good job goin for ya, stay the hell away, prolly not worth the trouble.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
Right here. I like it but think I shoulda gone active. But it has it's benefits and i like it. Guess where I went... yeah it sucked.

John

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
What job you lookin at? Go to Kelly and become a C5 loadmaster. You dont deploy and your commitment is very flexible. There's also the little matter of flight pay.

QuikGT

Banned
Well the reason im asking is i only have 1 year of college under my belt...i joined a frat and partied way too much but i want an education but i know if i go back that ill screw up again....so i was thinking about my future for schooling through the air force....what do you guys think??? good idea or bad idea--im only 21.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you are doing it for the money, then IMO you are doing it for the WRONG reasons.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Stewart said:
What job you lookin at? Go to Kelly and become a C5 loadmaster. You dont deploy and your commitment is very flexible. There's also the little matter of flight pay.

Kelly is a military contractor? I would love to get a job working for a contractor, as all I have for experience is 6 years in the airborne infantry, 2 years as an NCO... I'm so screwed for options right now, haha. PM me with more info? I hate flying, but a job is a job...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Another wrong reason. Why? Because people who join for the 'benefits', especially Reservist are the first ones bad mouthing the military and bitching about deployments.

You do it to serve your country. Period.

In today's age, if your going to do it, go active duty. There are ways to still go to school for the truly dedicated, especially in the USAF.

QuikGT said:
not for the money for an education of some sort or help with one at least....the money and benefits is just a plus...

QuikGT

Banned
well when the time comes for deployment i wont be bitching....i will proudly serve for my country....so i dont have a problem with war and im definately not afraid of it...and plus if i went active duty i wouldnt be able to keep the job i have and work towards a career...

Users who are viewing this thread