anyone here ever had HUMBLE PIE?

swardrn

Established Member
Out cruising in the 03 tonight and I go through a local hangout and I spy an early 90 lx sitting there clean as hell guy calls me over and asks me if I want to run down the interstate, he says that i will beat him but he just wants to run an 03 so I said sure. we line up from a 40 kick and he hits it and proceeds to absolutely wax my ass. through the top of 2nd he put about 6 lengths on me but then it was like he ran out of steam in third the distance never got bigger but it did not shrink but a little. That is the worst I have gotten DESTROYED in a long time. That just goes to show you about 5.0s some are slow as hell but every once in a while you find one that lights you up and you re like damn that sob is fast. After we ran he pulled over and we talked for a while and he said he had only boltons (Right, I have owned 6 5.0s and 2 Cobras now and boltons aint gonna do all that) I did hear a faint whistle (SQ s trim?) I did not see him purge Nitrous but it is possible it really seemed like a nos car the way he pulled in 2nd. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this. BTW I dynoed with 1 mod at 394 rwhp and still got smoked.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by swardrn
Anyone out there have any thoughts on this. BTW I dynoed with 1 mod at 394 rwhp and still got smoked.

People don't want to believe me when I tell themthat my blown '91 LX would totally annihilate my '03, especially from a roll where traction isn't a factor.

If the guy you ran against had every bolt-on including blower, his car could easily be making over 500 hp and trapping the 1/4 at 120 mph+.

Like you say, there are 5-liters that aren't too quick, but for not a lot of dough you can make one into a serious street contender.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
As the owner of a 1988 LX 5.0, i will have to agree with redfire vert on this one. It doesnt take too much to make an old 5.0 run with the big dogs. I have beaten 5.0 cobras, LT1 Z28's, 4.6 SOHC Stangs with 4.10's, and the list goes on. Nothin better than investing less than 5k into a car and trapping low 12's to high 11's.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Most Fox bodies you see arent fast. They have minor "go fast" parts and major "make loud" parts and that is about it.

My 87 GT vert has no "make loud" parts but plenty of "go fast" parts. Without the S/C I am in the low 12's. With S/C I am in the mid 11's. I havent gone to the track with the bottle hooked up yet. We will see what a 150 shot will do :)

FordSVTFan

Established Member
KABOOM, my ass!! That engine is built for power! It isnt one of those pansy ass 03 motors :)

Last edited:

swardrn

Established Member
fordsvtfan, you are right the old 302s can take some beating but a blower and 150 shot !!! Phew that thing will be hell. This run made me miss my 5.0's (i have owned 6 of them) .

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by swardrn
fordsvtfan, you are right the old 302s can take some beating but a blower and 150 shot !!! Phew that thing will be hell. This run made me miss my 5.0's (i have owned 6 of them) .

The S/C is off! It was having voltage problems at 3800 rpms with the speed density system and the positive pressure from the S/C. I dont want mass air so I dumped the S/C for juice.

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
KABOOM, my ass!! That engine is built for power! It isnt one of those pansy ass 03 motors :)

No Kaboom iff you watch your A/F and KEEP IT COOL!
Make sure you have a cage, transmission shield, and a drag loop. You may spill some gears.

How much boost? Compression ratio? Heads -- twisted wedges are NICE -- the stock ones are weak.

My LX (1988 Hatch -- Midnight Blue) -- from memory

90mm TB
MAF (was originally SD)
Paxton @ 10.5 lbs
NX @ 150
36 # injectors and high flow pump
twisted wedge heads
Shorty headers
off-road H pipe
modded T-5 with CF clutch
open pipes to just ahead of the rears (Joe's Custom)
MSD and MSD timing adjuster
caged, looped, spooled (4.10), tubbed, and shod with Micky T's all around
Nomex fat-ass suit

Hasn't seen the track since '96 -- first MS attack -- sold in April 2003 to a very happy 25-year-old...

:cryying:

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
The S/C is off! It was having voltage problems at 3800 rpms with the speed density system and the positive pressure from the S/C. I dont want mass air so I dumped the S/C for juice.
The MAF is the way to go my friend. It is a bit of work though...

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I like the speed density system. The Mass Air conversion is not that big of a deal. I helped my buddy do it on his 87 GT.

Users who are viewing this thread