Anyone here dispatch or other city hall jobs?

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
I am interested in taking a dispatching job for the police department, i was wondering if anyone here has worked at that job or at another job at the station? i've heard different things about the pay but mostly that it sucks?

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
where are you in bama. I work for MPD. Dispatchers here are paid decently and I think they are hiring. Its a different division than the PD though. They fall under communications which is it own entity. From what ive heard dispatch is a difficult job but ive only been on the PD side

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I originally applied for dispatch with Las Vegas Metro, but ended up in Records. I'm glad it worked out the way it did; dispatch is an extremely demanding job. There are a lot of officers (nationwide) who will tell you that they couldn't be a dispatcher.

When you apply, ask if you can do a sit along to see what the job really entails.

Moparkidd

Established Member
i guess i just want to know what its like, a little about the pay, hours, i volunteer firefight and one of the guys i volunteer with dispatches but he doesnt talk alot. just more info i guess.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Oh. Well like they said, it's an extremely demanding job, and there are a lot of things to memorize. You HAVE to be able to multi-task, and perform under stress. Other than that, depends on the agency, but I work 4 10 hour days, and have 3 days off. I love the schedule really. I work permanent mids so it's not as busy, which allows me time to surf the internet and whatnot, watch tv or play xbox if there's nothing going on. Some places don't let you have those amenities though.

I know a lot of officers who used to be dispatchers, it's a wonderful way of starting and getting used to the way of life and everything if that's your eventual dream, if not it sucks cuz it has a 30 year retirement, or at least all of the departments here do. If you wanna know anything more, just let me know.

I'm in the hiring process for a police officer, I started out here at the age of 19, and figured it'd be a great experience and I've loved every minute of it. There are downsides to it, but all in all I think it's a great job. I love helping people, which is why I got into this career field in the 1st place.

G/L

Oh and if you're serious about it at all, DEFINITELY sit in on a few shifts and see what it's like. We do phone, radio AND teletype, some agencies separate those. Do evening shift, day shift and mids to get a feel for the different calls depending on the day.

Last edited:

Moparkidd

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Arab, Al btw. I'm goin to pm a few of you when I get off work.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the "officers vs dispatchers" drama. Seems a lot of places there seems to be tension between them. Most of the times it's either one of the parties just being lazy, and/or trying to boss around the other one. Pretty lame if you ask me. I never get an attitude on the radio, and I've always been treated great by the officers. Certain others I know are not that way :(

ZChaos0026

Established Member
I dispatched for 3 years before becomming a LEO. As it has been said before, it is an extremely demanding job requiring patience, multi tasking, quick thinking. Unfortunately, it's one of the most thankless, but most important jobs in law enforcement. We on the road depend on dispatchers to keep us safe. There is a huge difference in a good dispatcher, and a bad one, and it will sometimes determine how or what i do in a certain situation. One of the hardest things for me, because i wanted to be a LEO, was hearing one of my guys get into a fight, or not answer a 10-4 check and not knowing what was actually going on...theres a huge difference in sitting on the radio, and being on scene.

Our dispatch center handles taking emergency (911 calls) and non-emergency calls, and dispatching for EMS, Fire, and Law Enforcement, so keep in mind you may not get a chance to dispatch for Law Enforcement right away...and taking 911 calls isnt a walk in the park...Ive been on the phone with someone who shot themselves while i was talking to him, if tried to talk a distraught mother through CPR on her obviously deceased, drowned child. I've done the same with parents of SIDS victims. Ive also helped people deliver babies over the phone. It's a very stressful, but very rewarding career. Just be ready for long hours, lots of overtime, little pay, and no thanks for a job well done.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Moparkidd

Established Member
I dispatched for 3 years before becomming a LEO. As it has been said before, it is an extremely demanding job requiring patience, multi tasking, quick thinking. Unfortunately, it's one of the most thankless, but most important jobs in law enforcement. We on the road depend on dispatchers to keep us safe. There is a huge difference in a good dispatcher, and a bad one, and it will sometimes determine how or what i do in a certain situation. One of the hardest things for me, because i wanted to be a LEO, was hearing one of my guys get into a fight, or not answer a 10-4 check and not knowing what was actually going on...theres a huge difference in sitting on the radio, and being on scene.

Our dispatch center handles taking emergency (911 calls) and non-emergency calls, and dispatching for EMS, Fire, and Law Enforcement, so keep in mind you may not get a chance to dispatch for Law Enforcement right away...and taking 911 calls isnt a walk in the park...Ive been on the phone with someone who shot themselves while i was talking to him, if tried to talk a distraught mother through CPR on her obviously deceased, drowned child. I've done the same with parents of SIDS victims. Ive also helped people deliver babies over the phone. It's a very stressful, but very rewarding career. Just be ready for long hours, lots of overtime, little pay, and no thanks for a job well done.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

haha sounds like hell! but i love it

Users who are viewing this thread