Anyone Here a Car Salesman?

ModularFan

Established Member
Anyone here a car salesman that wants to give me some insight. I'am been going to various dealerships applying to be one, I did lot attendant work a few times, just looking to move into something with benefits.

1. Do New car incentives hurt your'e commission? is this why some salesman like to push sales of used vehicles cause theirs no incentives attached to them.

2. what are the hrs you would normally work?

3. whats the best way to persway someone into buying a vehicle without sounding pushy, and bs'ing as well.

Can't really come up with any other questions at this time, also I guess it would help to know the specific manufacture of vehicle pretty well as well? like study it some etc.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Anyone here a car salesman that wants to give me some insight. I'am been going to various dealerships applying to be one, I did lot attendant work a few times, just looking to move into something with benefits.

1. Do New car incentives hurt your'e commission? is this why some salesman like to push sales of used vehicles cause theirs no incentives attached to them.

You make more money on a used car but I say screw it. I was pushing ~20 cars a month over the summer so I worked volume and didnt worry about the profit.

m 9-6
t 9-6 (every other off)
w 12-9
r OFF
Fri 9-9
Sat 9-6
sun 11-5

3. whats the best way to persway someone into buying a vehicle without sounding pushy, and bs'ing as well.

Step 1 meet and greet/ qualify
Step 2 find out what car they are interested in
Step 3 walk around
Step 4 Test drive (this is where you ask lease or fiance, was your last car financed, how much down, what is your budget, do this while they are driving and distracted!)
Step 5 sit them down get numbers from the desk
Step 6 say you will try lower and GET AN OFFER FROM THEM ON PAPER
Step 7 maybe a TO and a write up

Can't really come up with any other questions at this time, also I guess it would help to know the specific manufacture of vehicle pretty well as well? like study it some etc.

DOnt worry about it actually your last 2 questions should be answered in dealership training

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i sell used cars, so no help to new cars, best way to sell a car, have business cards on you, be nice, don't push or be in a rush to get them in a car. if it takes a few visits or phone calls then so be it, give them your card, tell them to call anytime, be knowledgable about the cars you are selling, MPG, maintenance, most of the time the PPl do their homework and can know more than you, be on your game so your hands aren't between your legs.

bam

Established Member
Are there any car salesmen here that want to give me some insight? I've been going to various dealerships applying to be one. I did lot attendant work a few times, and I'm now looking to move into something with benefits.

1. Do new car incentives hurt your commission? Is this why some salesmen like to push sales of used vehicles- because there are no incentives attached to them?

2. What are the hours you normally work?

3. What's the best way to persuade someone to buy a vehicle without sounding pushy or being dishonest?

I can't really come up with any other questions at this time. Oh wait, actually I can. Would it help to be familiar with the manufacturer of vehicles sold at the dealership as well?

Translated it.

Don't be a car salesman.

Catfood

Established Member
I was for 6 months and hated every minute of it, long hours with a bunch of a-holes!

Never_Enough

Established Member
If you like working very long hours, treating people like shit & working with mostly aholes, you will love it.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
long hours, low pay, and if you are going to , take and find a dealer that will allow
you to sell new and used. Also do not go to a dealer that has an " up " system.
Good luck try and stay positive and not fall into the trap of hanging out with the sales guy who spread doom and gloom

ModularFan

Established Member
long hours, low pay, and if you are going to , take and find a dealer that will allow
you to sell new and used. Also do not go to a dealer that has an " up " system.
Good luck try and stay positive and not fall into the trap of hanging out with the sales guy who spread doom and gloom

I got an interview tomorrow, with the sales manager, Ill see what the guy has to say and offer and go from there. nothing is set in stone yet. it is a new used dealer, a chevy dealer.

What do you mean "up" system? I most definitely don't want a demo, I want to be able to drive my own car, although there are nice things about having a demo, don't have to pay for anything but gas in it.

Plus how the hell do you explain to a customer that comes to look at the car and you have it home sitting in your driveway cause you decided to drive your own car to work that day.

If needed be ill be a straight shooter. be honest with everyone and not try to be pushy. I have another job, so I kinda want to work certain hrs and not all day. wouldn't mind working like 8-3 etc.

tistan

Established Member
If you want to keep your job and make money, then you're going to have to be pushy. The dealer I worked at didn't give anyone but the GM a demo to take home. Up system is to prevent salesmen from getting in fights over customers on the lot. It also keeps salesmen from profiling customers based on their looks. I didn't have any problems with it. As a new salesman, you probably won't make any money working 8-3. About all you do during those hours is call people and try to drum up business. Most new customers come on the lot right after work or on the weekends.

ModularFan

Established Member
If you want to keep your job and make money, then you're going to have to be pushy. The dealer I worked at didn't give anyone but the GM a demo to take home. Up system is to prevent salesmen from getting in fights over customers on the lot. It also keeps salesmen from profiling customers based on their looks. I didn't have any problems with it. As a new salesman, you probably won't make any money working 8-3. About all you do during those hours is call people and try to drum up business. Most new customers come on the lot right after work or on the weekends.

Thanks, ill see what the guy says tomorrow. I just don't like working on straight commission, cause to me that's like working for free.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I got an interview tomorrow, with the sales manager, Ill see what the guy has to say and offer and go from there. nothing is set in stone yet. it is a new used dealer, a chevy dealer.

What do you mean "up" system? I most definitely don't want a demo, I want to be able to drive my own car, although there are nice things about having a demo, don't have to pay for anything but gas in it.

Plus how the hell do you explain to a customer that comes to look at the car and you have it home sitting in your driveway cause you decided to drive your own car to work that day.

If needed be ill be a straight shooter. be honest with everyone and not try to be pushy. I have another job, so I kinda want to work certain hrs and not all day. wouldn't mind working like 8-3 etc.

an up system determines who gets what potential buyer. I worked in an open floor which was a free for all but then again we had the 3rd best dealership for hondas IN THE NATION so volume was never an issue.

DONT BE PUSHY!!

My biggest strength was that I wasnt pushy and it SET ME APART from other salespeople. Be open and honest. I always said our dealership charged 3 fees

Registration/inspection
Cost of plates
NYS tire tax

I was up front and told my customers that the price you see is the price you pay except for those three fees. If someone beats my price and then hits you with delivery/prep/dealer/storage fees dont be surprised. I had many customers return to me when they saw other dealership fees.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

1. No, you get paid on gross profit.

2. A lot. You only make money if you sell, and customers don't care about your schedule.

3. Product knowledge and people skills. Also remember that most buyers already know the answer to the question they ask, and your response is generally a test. If you don't know the answer, write down the question and research the answer for the customer.

Follow up and thank you cards will help you build your customer base. Lastly, don't forget about customer after the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread