Anyone have their phase 1 Roush retuned

malibu78

Established Member
I just picked up my A6 2016 Roush phase 1. Love the car, but I have to admit the Roush tune seems to leave a lot on the table. I feel that a car with 670 hp should be faster. Anyone try another tune yet. If so whose tune did you go with and any before and after drag strip times or dyno numbers would be appreciated.

gremlinsteve

Established Member
There is a ton of posts showing that having the roush tune removed and adding a healthy retune from some of the company/ individuals who tune this platform the cars not only pick up in drive ability but in some cases owners state that there times at the track are drasticly faster

I have seen some run mid tens with aretune

malibu78

Established Member
Gremlinsteve,

Thanks for the response Steve. I am having a hard time finding a reputable tuner that is able to tune an a6 on a 2015 or newer stand with a TVS. I realize VMP and Lund will do a tune, however, I have no experience with data logging and email tunes. Lund was very responsive and professional via email, AED was also very responsive and professional. Shaun indicated that he does not have a tune available yet and my local tuner who is also very reputable has not perfected a tune for a6 TVS. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Troponin

Established Member
ROUSH Puts a ton of tq management in their tuning. From the shift points, to where the car makes the most power. What ROUSH did was basically just make the peak hp high, but tq and the power band not great.

Once you get your vehicle tuned, it will feel like a beast. It will shift firmer (Car will break loose hitting third gear), have better shift points so the car doesn't bog, and the power will come on very, very fast.

Let's just put it this way; the 2014 puts down about 490whp on the ROUSH tuning, and after a tune, it puts down about 575whp, and, there is no delay in power. The second you start putting your foot down, the car will pull hard.

With all that said, datalogging and email tunes isn't hard. You load up the factory file, email it to them, they make some adjustments, then send it back to you. You upload it to the tuner, then your car. Then you set it up for datalogging, and follow the instructions of what the is asking you to do. A lot of times, they have you do a 3rd gear pull at WOT to a vertain RPM. Then you download file, send it back to them. The instructions are all there and pretty easy to follow. Most of the good tuners are very pleasant and helpful if you have trouble. Call them up, and they are always happy to get you taken care of. You aren't alone in feeling like you are. I feel like a pro at it now and was really, really nervous about it when I started.

malibu78

Established Member
ROUSH Puts a ton of tq management in their tuning. From the shift points, to where the car makes the most power. What ROUSH did was basically just make the peak hp high, but tq and the power band not great.

Once you get your vehicle tuned, it will feel like a beast. It will shift firmer (Car will break loose hitting third gear), have better shift points so the car doesn't bog, and the power will come on very, very fast.

Let's just put it this way; the 2014 puts down about 490whp on the ROUSH tuning, and after a tune, it puts down about 575whp, and, there is no delay in power. The second you start putting your foot down, the car will pull hard.

With all that said, datalogging and email tunes isn't hard. You load up the factory file, email it to them, they make some adjustments, then send it back to you. You upload it to the tuner, then your car. Then you set it up for datalogging, and follow the instructions of what the is asking you to do. A lot of times, they have you do a 3rd gear pull at WOT to a vertain RPM. Then you download file, send it back to them. The instructions are all there and pretty easy to follow. Most of the good tuners are very pleasant and helpful if you have trouble. Call them up, and they are always happy to get you taken care of. You aren't alone in feeling like you are. I feel like a pro at it now and was really, really nervous about it when I started.

Thanks guys for the replies guys. You description is exactly how the car feels my c5 vette with heads and cam feels much faster. The car feels lazy I am not really concerned with dyno numbers. My goal is to get the car into the 10's with front runners and stickies. I thought for sure 670 hp would get me there, however there is no way that this car will go tens. Just way too lazy. I would be surprised if it ran 11.50s. So with all that said any suggestions on a tuner???

JasinEdward

Established Member
I wanted to go AED with mine, but I think I'll be going with Ken B. from Palm Beach dyno. Him or Lund seem to get the best reviews. I know VMP is an option as well, but don't know anyone who has a stage 1 with just a VMP tune.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Gremlinsteve,

Thanks for the response Steve. I am having a hard time finding a reputable tuner that is able to tune an a6 on a 2015 or newer stand with a TVS. I realize VMP and Lund will do a tune, however, I have no experience with data logging and email tunes. Lund was very responsive and professional via email, AED was also very responsive and professional. Shaun indicated that he does not have a tune available yet and my local tuner who is also very reputable has not perfected a tune for a6 TVS. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You have Alternative Auto....

Address: 51945 Gratiot Ave, Chesterfield, MI 48051, United States
Phone:+1 586-949-7505

1quick

Established Member
I'm waiting for the phase 2 parts to come in and having Lund re tune for me, data logging is easy with the sct from what I've herd it's even easier with the ngauge

malibu78

Established Member
I'm waiting for the phase 2 parts to come in and having Lund re tune for me, data logging is easy with the sct from what I've herd it's even easier with the ngauge
Have you taken phase1 to the track yet? What are your impressions of phase1

Troponin

Established Member

I would agree. I found the nGauge to be quicker and easier. I used HPTuners software though. Not sure if Lund's software is any different.

Last edited:

malibu78

Established Member
I would agree. I found the nGauge to be quicker and easier. I used HPTuners software though. Not sure if Lund's software is any different.

Hey 1 quick what's the biggest pulley one can go without switching the plugs or adding the pump booster

Troponin

Established Member
Hey 1 quick what's the biggest pulley one can go without switching the plugs or adding the pump booster
You'll need injectors before you will need a BAP or plugs. 82mm will max out the injectors the kit comes with. Usually a BAP isn't needed unless it's a high hp application and you're running ID1000s or close to that. If you drop to a 79mm, that's about the time you will need to consider a BAP and will certainly need injectors

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
but I think I'll be going with Ken B. from Palm Beach dyno. Him or Lund seem to get the best reviews. I know VMP is an option as well

^^This!
All of three of these are reputable and are a win-win. VMP works very closely with Roush.

1quick

Established Member
Have you taken phase1 to the track yet? What are your impressions of phase1

Phase 1 is capable of making good power, you can feel it in the mid to upper rpm, but the tune is soft the shifts are soft, the car is running 9.9-10.2 afr wot on the roush tune, for what it is it feels kind of slow but it pulls great on the top end, I can't wait for the smaller pulley and Lund tune

JasinEdward

Established Member
phase 2 is an 80mm and does not require injectors. I think the 79mm pulley is cutting it close.... You can always get the Ford Racing GT500 injectors if you dont wanna spend a grand...

Troponin

Established Member
phase 2 is an 80mm and does not require injectors. I think the 79mm pulley is cutting it close.... You can always get the Ford Racing GT500 injectors if you dont wanna spend a grand...
I believe the ROUSH tuning with the phase two does not, however, with a custom tune, the injectors are more easily maxed out.

JasinEdward

Established Member
I believe the ROUSH tuning with the phase two does not, however, with a custom tune, the injectors are more easily maxed out.

Yeah..... I was told that the 47lbs will start to lean out at about 600rwhp..... The gt500 would be good to about 650 before they lean out. I'm going to do a tune, then down the road get a pulley and BAP. Then probably Ford Racing injectors..... unless I get a really good deal on id1000's....

Users who are viewing this thread