Anyone have some ideas!?!?! 1998 GT/cobra swap imrc delete problems.

94silverstang

Established Member
I have a 1998 GT with a 96 cobra motor in it. good low miles engine, swapped it in not too long ago, and it has a t56.

anyways, it wants to run bad on take off, and when you punch it around 2-3k rpms. higher rpms it tends to run better, but you can tell its not its old self. Now here is the kicker.. We deleted the imrc plates out of it, which were filthy. im thinking maybe the car needs a tune now since under 3200 rpms (or whatever the imrc open RPM is) it thinks the imrc's are wide open.

any ideas? for now im driving the black gt, but i miss the green gt. lol. help?

post up what you think. if i need to give some more info on what it is doing i can, but thats really the main thing. just runs real "baulky" (if thats a word) almost like you pulled some plug wires and if the motor was skipping. lol
thanks!
-Blake

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
mine was running rough after i deleted the imrc's and did a short runner but after i got it dyno tuned it ran perfect.

TIMMONS

ZZZ
Established Member
ya tune def. i believe i read somewhere that the timing is different before 3250 because of the imrc's. mine does exactly the same and i havent had it tuned yet

94silverstang

Established Member
ya tune def. i believe i read somewhere that the timing is different before 3250 because of the imrc's. mine does exactly the same and i havent had it tuned yet

alright, feels good to get some confirmation.

i like the horsepower rating you got there. i know thats about how it feels when the car starts sputtering and all.. lol

TIMMONS

ZZZ
Established Member
alright, feels good to get some confirmation.

i like the horsepower rating you got there. i know thats about how it feels when the car starts sputtering and all.. lol

just rembered that lmao...thats was when i actually just got done doin my homemade deletes...

then i took the sct livewire and adjusted the spark a little...helped but still not perfect

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
alright. sounds like it's worth doing.

i see you're in Ga also, where did you go for your tune?
-Blake

i went to mv performance in winder. that is where i got my shortrunner, imrc deletes, gears and dyno tune done. nice people that know there $hit. on a mustang dyno i made 274rwhp. my #'s would have been higher but they said mustang dyno #'s were always lower.

Last edited:

94silverstang

Established Member
i went to mv performance in winder. that is where i got my shortrunner, imrc deletes, gears and dyno tune done. nice people that know there $hit. on a mustang dyno i made 274rwhp. my #'s would have been higher but they said mustang dyno #'s were always lower.

yeah, i've considered that place.. it's in statham right?
they do know their stangs.

94silverstang

Established Member
one more thing too.

car will not get out of open loop when it is on a snap on diagnostic scanner. it should go into closed loop after car has warmed up. i've changed the o2 sensors, ect temp sensor, maf sensor. what could it be? would it be part of the imrc? since it doesn't have them anymore. and will the tune take care of the open/closed loop problem. One more thing too. No smog air pump setup on the car either. not sure if that matters.

any help is appreciated. thanks!
Blake

aloo1

Established Member
i'm getting my deletes done now and i'm very interested in how you fix your issue. i called mv performance and asked if i'd need to adjust the spark/timing and they said not necessarily? but to take it to them without a handheld it will cost 350 just to get the comp. flashed to turn off the check engine light for the deletes. so right now i'm trying to sell my diablosport tuner to find a handheld i can take to them so it's only 50 bucks to do that. i hate emissions testing!
thanks,
alan

The Red Monster

COP SWAP harness guy
Established Member
it needs timing in the lower rpms to compensate for the increased volume of air and loss of the plates. 1-2* will help

Users who are viewing this thread