Anyone have pinging at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle after loading Predator pulley tune?

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
Hello everyone.

Has anyone else experienced pinging at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle after loading the pulley tune? I don't seem to get any at full throttle and the car runs great at full throttle, but is seems at 1/4 to 1/2 at lower rpms (say 1500 to 3100) I get detonation.
Is there any fix for this? I know I should get it dynoed and I plan to on monday or tuesday, but I am worried about driving in the mean time.
Also, the car feels sluggish when slowly accelerating at about 1/8 throttle and then it picks up after a couple of seconds.

Here are my current mods:
Densechager CAI(correct 12 O'clock position)
3.10 Pulley
Predator Pulley Tune with spark advance retarded to max and fuel has not be altered.

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,

Jason

valdo's toy

Established Member
I had the same problem but after runing the car for a few days the pinging went away, that was in my case though, hope it helps. Good luck and good hunting!!!

slocobra03

Established Member
I also installed the Pulley tune this weekend and have a noticable pinging at 3/4 throttle to WOT.
I have been told that retarding the timing (spark advance) will cure this issue, but have not tried it yet.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
This is to anyone who has detonation (pinging)...you are causing damage to your engine!
Get the A/F checked on a dyno and get a custom tune if necessary.
Check your plugs, run higher octane gas...do not accept detonation as normal.
The Predator is a good tool if tuned correctly, but it's not always plug n play.

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
This is to anyone who has detonation (pinging)...you are causing damage to your engine!
Get the A/F checked on a dyno and get a custom tune if necessary.
Check your plugs, run higher octane gas...do not accept detonation as normal.
The Predator is a good tool if tuned correctly, but it's not always plug n play.

I am not driving my vehicle right now, and once I heard detonation, I drove very slowly and did not accelerate fast enough to build ANY boost.
I am planning on trying to get my car dynoed on Tuesday and get my A/F ratios.
Thanks for the info.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by jlsnsw
I am not driving my vehicle right now, and once I heard detonation, I drove very slowly and did not accelerate fast enough to build ANY boost.
I am planning on trying to get my car dynoed on Tuesday and get my A/F ratios.
Thanks for the info.

Smart move on your part.
I wasn't directing the comment at anyone in particular. It just scares me when someone says..."everytime I stepped on it at a low rpm in 6th gear I heard marbles in a can"
It's like that old saying...does it hurt when you do that? Then don't do that.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have a much smaller pulley than you and have CA gas. My pinging was solved by retarding all of the timing and adding 7% fuel.

D-Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by jlsnsw
Hello everyone.

Has anyone else experienced pinging at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle after loading the pulley tune? I don't seem to get any at full throttle and the car runs great at full throttle, but is seems at 1/4 to 1/2 at lower rpms (say 1500 to 3100) I get detonation.
Thanks,

Jason

hey jason,

my car was pinging the same way, and i just got it resolved yesterday. i'm guessing the winter gasoline is the problem to our detonation, because some gas stations tend to have less octanes during winter season.

my tuner told me it is critical to have a set of colder spark plugs when running higher boost. in my case, they put in a set of TR-6's for me.

they took out a lot of timing between 1500-3500 rpm. also, they programed the chip to automatically reduce timing when the computer sense extra hot and cold air temperature. so all in all, i have a really safe tune. eventhough it is lowering my rwhp, but the car still runs very strong. plus, i prefer to be safe than sorry.

also, check to make sure your intercooler is working and the water is floating in and out of the intercooler. i know it sounds stupid, but it was one of the reasons that caused my pinging problem because there was a big air bubble stuck in the hose and the water couldn't flow through.

hope all these help.

Users who are viewing this thread