Anyone have/had 87 Grand National?

kelsey

I'm thinking of getting an 87 GN. Anyone have any input on these cars? Seems like they are 14.6 sec 1/4 cars stock. Seems they take mods easy and some are 11.8-12.3 cars without doing crazy stuff to them. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!

adamz1le28

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
:xpl: :loser: :kaboom: :sleeping:

I've known several different people with them and I've never been impressed by any of them

DEVOURER

WFO
Established Member
a friend has one. he ran high 13's stock. with just a chip he ran low 12's...now he is in the 10's. they are beasts!!! if you can get a clean one at a good price...DO IT!!! i am biased though!

svtrookie

Established Member
My friend has one and well...needless to say its pretty badass....You get looks everywhere you go not to mention if you mod it correctly you could easily have a low 12 second car! Only thing i dont like is it rides like a boat....but other then its a good car if you can find a clean one. -Tom

Tim03cobra

Established Member
I have one. With a chip, down pipe, slicks and about 22 lbs boost I have ran 12.0's. Put a turbo and a new intercooler and you can run 10's and never remove the valve covers with a good tune. You can learn more at www.gnttype.org Good luck

dakota318

Banned
adamz1le28 said:

I've known several different people with them and I've never been impressed by any of them

You've been around the wrong GNs then.

Holeshot monsters they are.

My freinds will take me on the 60' everytime, and turn in a better ET. But I will always show a better MPH... I dont power shift though either. Nice cars, I would buy one for sure. Dont expect to autoX with it though, although, he did once with it and said it didnt do too bad.... Weve never taken them through the back roads though to find out...

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If you can find a true GN, I would jump all over it if the price were right. Neat cars!! A lot of fun to play with too. If they're done right, it takes a helluva good Cobra to run with them.

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
i had a 86 before, sweet car. not as bad ass like my yellow hissing venmous snake :coolman:

Venimus

Established Member
My brother had an 87 GN and another clone, an 86 T-type. The GN was a beast! He got a chip, upgraded the turbo, injectors and a couple of other things (I forget the whole list). He completely destroyed my Mustang (89 with nitrous at the time). It was not even close. I got a Vortech A trim and he still crushed me. Eventually he got nitrous and blew the engine but not before he was running 7's in the 1/8th mile. Very nice cars - I would recommend them. He is currently looking to get another after about 15 years since he blew his first one up.

WDW MKR

Established Member
adamz1le28 said:

You must have been around some unknowledgable GN owners. It only take about $500 to run low 12s. My 87 ran consisten mid-11s in true street trim and pump fuel, all in 90* heat. Best hooking car I know of.

Anyone wanting to know more about Turbo regals needs to visit these sites:
www.turbobuick.com
www.turbobuicks.com
www.gnttype.org

WDW MKR

Established Member
GETTEUP said:
here's one on ebay (GNX) but i think the owner has been hitting the crack pipe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...Z6137QQitemZ4613706309QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They have brought more than that. Again, read up on the above websites if you don't know the history of the GNX. They only made 547 of them, with less than that still being in existance. Also stood as the quickest American-made car for quite a few years. The GN was a high-13 sec car in ideal conditions, while the GNX could pull low-13s. That was hauling serious ass in 1987, especially for a stock car.

- Aj -

Established Member
Pretty neat with only 10 miles on it, but the price is stupid. He hit that rock two times.

GotGrunt

Established Member
84-85 = "Hot air" non-intercooled
86-87 = Intercooled

I had an '86 GN hardtop a few years ago. They will run 13.8-14.2 stock and will go 12's with just a few bolt-ons.

gn82768273824872.jpg

Last edited:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
I have one, and yes they are neat cars and exremely fast. My main complaint is they are extremely high maintenance, constantly requiring tuning, tweaking, and fixing whatever breaks next. If you dont like working on cars it may not be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread