Anyone have good luck with the Thump Racing Belt Tensioner

triple-s

Established Member
Before I had one I made around 14 pounds of boost around 5000 rpm but then would drop to 11 pounds between 5000-6500 so I was getting big time belt slip on top end. But after I put on the thump r I actually made more boost and kept it through out the rpm range. At 6500 rpm I was making 16 pounds. But the down side I was wearing belts out faster then usual.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thump is very good, but the pulley it ships with is smaller than stock. There were a rash of Thump failures the last few years but they do have a lifetime warranty if Im not mistaken.

I decided to go with a VMP tensioner. Many pulley options, and seems to be a very high quality unit. Only has a 1 year warranty, but its cheaper.

When its time for a big-boy blower, I may pony up and grab a Thump.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Had a Thump tensioner on my 11, never an issue.
The Thump tensioner on my 14 started to make noise, my tuner's shop sent it back to Thump for a rebuild. They noticed it was an older model, Co. made several upgraded since it was made. They sent me a " new " upgraded unit, only cost me shipping. It's nice to see a Co. stand behind their product !!!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
A "rash" of failures? More like you've seen a few on the internet.
Ive not heard of failures from VMP or AMS. Quite possible that there have been, but Ive not heard of any here or on other forums. Would imply there were more than a small number of failures then. Completely possible that they got a poor batch of aluminum billets that wasnt up to normal strength standards.

Not bashing Thump at all. They have an outstanding warranty, and the product works well. Far from perfect though. @2011 gtcs bought one from a reputable seller and the housing appears to have been machined improperly such that its impossible to properly install it. Still left the factory like that.

I was between a Thump tensioner and a VMP unit. Warranty or not, there was more than one Thump failure at the time I was going to fork over my cash for an upgraded tensioner. I made the decision to buy the VMP and so far Im happy with the product.

If its fails Id consider a Thump and the unit from AMS.

fullboogie

Established Member
So other than that one example, do you have any others related to the GT500? If not, maybe be more careful about using terms like "a rash of failures." I'm sure you can see where that would mislead people who don't know better.

And I may be mistaken, but the one example you mention was a used unit wasn't it? So you have no idea whether it was modified or damaged by the prior user. In fact, I would say it had to have been - if it had been used before, it must have been clocked correctly, right? Something else happened to that unit and I would bet it did not leave the manufacturer that way.

triple-s

Established Member
The one I bought is still going strong 5 years later. I had it for 2 years then sold it my buddy and he's had it on his car with no problems for 3 years.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So other than that one example, do you have any others related to the GT500? If not, maybe be more careful about using terms like "a rash of failures." I'm sure you can see where that would mislead people who don't know better.

And I may be mistaken, but the one example you mention was a used unit wasn't it? So you have no idea whether it was modified or damaged by the prior user. In fact, I would say it had to have been - if it had been used before, it must have been clocked correctly, right? Something else happened to that unit and I would bet it did not leave the manufacturer that way.
Thump Racing has never made a bad tensioner. Ever. All have been made of 110% pure titanium and hand carved by John Coletti himself. Not only does it have a lifetime warranty, it automatically renews the new vehicle warranty of any vehicle it comes into contact with, including the delivery vehicle. Literally shits out pixie dust that converts missed shifts into full seconds off your ET. Converts wheel spin out of the hole into useable mid-range torque.

:rolleyes:

Ive not said anything overtly negative about Thump . OTHER THAN the fact that when I was getting ready to put my hard earned dollars into an upgraded tensioner in 2017, THERE WERE SEVERAL FAILURES POSTED HERE of Thump tensioners. Youre a detective, Im sure you can find them.

It sure as shit influenced my decision as I BELIEVED at that time they had an issue, either with materials or manufacturing. I elected to go with VMP and Ive been very satisfied. If the VMP unit fails, then I will AS IVE ALREADY STATED consider Thump Racing's tensioner as a replacement. But I was not investing money into a product that was experiencing issues when Im looking to buy. Luckily, Ive not heard of any failures RECENTLY. If someone asks about a specific product, I think they should hear the good and the bad about it dont you?

As for the used tensioner, are you that confident that it would never have left the factory like that? Because they couldnt have had a complete rookie box a production failure up? Maybe the vendor @2011 gtcs purchased from messed up and sold a tampered unit. Or maybe it was a factory defect, returned, and resold on accident?

Just in case you need some help finding the thread:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/thump-racing-tensioner-install.1171846/

;)

And yes, Ill still be your Valentine.

fullboogie

Established Member
So now it's "several" failures instead of a "rash" of failures. See the difference?

mikevec87

Established Member
So now it's "several" failures instead of a "rash" of failures. See the difference?

My thump tensioner failed on me and I was told I over stretched the spring. Which I did not the cars motor was brand new and wasn’t even off its break in oil yet. I contacted them sent it in they charged me 100$ to have it rebuilt and an additional 25$ to return ship it. i have a video of the testing procedure the owner told me todo to see if it has failed . And now my rebuilt one after only a week is doing the same thing as the last one.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My thump tensioner failed on me and I was told I over stretched the spring. Which I did not the cars motor was brand new and wasn’t even off its break in oil yet. I contacted them sent it in they charged me 100$ to have it rebuilt and an additional 25$ to return ship it. i have a video of the testing procedure the owner told me todo to see if it has failed . And now my rebuilt one after only a week is doing the same thing as the last one.

is it you that posted the video on IG testing it’s a torque wrench? Mine failed that test as well. That’s on top of 2 tensioners I hd to send back because the pulley has a visible wobble

mikevec87

Established Member
is it you that posted the video on IG testing it’s a torque wrench? Mine failed that test as well. That’s on top of 2 tensioners I hd to send back because the pulley has a visible wobble
Yes sir that’s me(shocker yellow valve covers and a whipple crusher)! and yes it’s highly disappointing when they cost 500$ . The new owner is extremely impolite even when I was polite as could be he originally was going to charge me 250$ plus shipping to put a new spring in it.

PM-Performance

Established Member
That’s insane. I thought my ARS debacle was bad, but I would be blowing a gasket if that was the end result.
Don’t those have lifetime warranties as well though? Just pay shipping back?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes sir that’s me(shocker yellow valve covers and a whipple crusher)! and yes it’s highly disappointing when they cost 500$ . The new owner is extremely impolite even when I was polite as could be he originally was going to charge me 250$ plus shipping to put a new spring in it.

I could be completely wrong as this was like 5 years back but I swear I thought somebody with the same name was claiming to be the new owner back then too

mikevec87

Established Member
*****update the tensioner is bad AGAIN!!!! I took it out of the box put it on The car and put the belt on then started the car to warm up and noticed it bouncing around. Checked the tension was moving at 20 ftlbs absolutely ridiculous. So either they never repaired it or I have a lemon.
I have a video of it all

That’s insane. I thought my ARS debacle was bad, but I would be blowing a gasket if that was the end result.
Don’t those have lifetime warranties as well though? Just pay shipping back?
Yea I thought it was supposed to be a life time warranty too apparently not.

I could be completely wrong as this was like 5 years back but I swear I thought somebody with the same name was claiming to be the new owner back then too
The guy i spoke to name was peter he told me that he was the new owner. Those were his exact words

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
*****update the tensioner is bad AGAIN!!!! I took it out of the box put it on The car and put the belt on then started the car to warm up and noticed it bouncing around. Checked the tension was moving at 20 ftlbs absolutely ridiculous. So either they never repaired it or I have a lemon.
I have a video of it all

Yea I thought it was supposed to be a life time warranty too apparently not.

The guy i spoke to name was peter he told me that he was the new owner. Those were his exact words

well that sucks! Was Peter a foreign sounding guy? The guy I spoke to was

mikevec87

Established Member
well that sucks! Was Peter a foreign sounding guy? The guy I spoke to was

Yep that’s him . I’m not sure why people say they have a life time warranty Because they don’t and not only is it not free he will try to rip you off. I’m extremely disappointed and I’ve talk to many others that realized theirs thump tensioner was also shot after watching my video.

Users who are viewing this thread