Anyone have experience with the Strange S-trac diff???

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Hello all,

I recently splurged and took the advice from this forum and others and installed the 8.8 version of the 35 spline differential and axles from Strange. I also opted for c-clip eliminators and the abs compatibility.

I had a shop install the parts to which they had no issues. When I got the car home and was ready to go to the track I swapped my rear wheels. In doing so one of the "spacers" (not sure the correct term) got stuck inside of the OEM wheel (pics below).

7e87636c05e6a1db08d7215b20f2c489.jpg

9930330211465b270509df8312878618.jpg

This is what it should look like.
b9a8445158f6059c698da7042d647f96.jpg

Initially I was unable to free the spacer from the OEM wheel. I looked up its function and found that it was fitment related. I tried to go ahead and mount the Drag wheels and I got both on and both seemed centered and fit with no issue. This next part might be cringe inducing but prior to the install my car had been down for just over two months. I was anxious to go to the tack with the new setup. So I rolled the dice and went with one spacer on and one still stuck in the OEM wheel.

I made one pass at the track. I'm pleased to report that the power delivery felt great. I also recently had a Spec ST trim clutch installed which hasn't seen much action. The new diff/axles paired with the new clutch felt great. I bogged off the line so my time wasn't great but the power felt good.

Unfortunately when I reached the end of the strip I began to hear a noise in the rear. It sounded like metal hitting metal, as off something were loose. I brought the car back to the shop and had them reinstall the spacer and check the previous install. They gave the car back to me with a clean bill of health and said the lack of a spacer likely allowed the rotor/brake assembly to move vertically.

I've only driven it a few times since getting it back. I thought I heard a similar metal on metal noise once or twice after beating the car up a bit on a straight and few curves. Seems to me like there may be an issue.

So, if you're still reading my questions are as follows:

Does anyone have experience with the Strange S-trac?
What are the expected noises to be heard from the rear or is it normally quiet?
Would it be normal for the rear to make some noise after beating in it?

I'm going to post a vid of the end of my pass once I figure out how to on here. That way the experienced ears can have a listen.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
It sounds like your wheel was loose as you were coming back on the return road. I have strange 31 spline axles and my left wheel fits real tight over the axle. I didn't realize the center screwed off as some type of hubcentric register. It sounds as though it's keeping the wheel from seating against the rotor and with it missing the wheel loosened from not having anything keeping it centered at the track. Check your lug nuts and see if they are loose.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
It sounds like your wheel was loose as you were coming back on the return road. I have strange 31 spline axles and my left wheel fits real tight over the axle. I didn't realize the center screwed off as some type of hubcentric register. It sounds as though it's keeping the wheel from seating against the rotor and with it missing the wheel loosened from not having anything keeping it centered at the track. Check your lug nuts and see if they are loose.

I pulled off after that and lugs were loose enough to need tightened but not to any extreme. Guys at the shop concluded that as well. They are pretty cool dudes and down to earth. I don't have a reason to doubt them other then I thought I heard a similar noise again on the street. I'm 97% sure they had the lugs all tightened before I left.

Think I'm going to try and capture the reoccurrence of a noise on video while street driving. Could be completely possible that I'm a hypochondriac.

kwarnerjr

Established Member

Too me it sounds like an old wooden door the creeks when opening slow. In the video you can hear a very similar sound as the first video. Immediately after the video I pulled over and check the lug nuts...they were tight.

Any ideas?
Is this a normal sound to be expected?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

kwarnerjr

Established Member

These are the same video, the noise at question can be heard at take off and most prominently at the very last turn.

The sound is subtle but hopefully someone other than me can hear it and draw a similarity to my original video at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread