Anyone have cut stock springs?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Does anyone have cut stock springs in there car? If so do you know how many coils you cut off to get your drop and if so how much of a drop did you get? I know about aftermarket lowering springs for those of you about to flame me for asking the question. I currently have Eibach pro's in my car and have had H&R's too. I have seen alot of guys on the Terminator site doing this and speaking positively about it as there is a difference between the linear stock springs and the progressive aftermarket springs. I am considering just buying a cheap set of stock springs and trying it as I am at a sticking point with my suspension. I bought some Tokiko blues and have the Eibachs and am going to try it that way. I had H&R Race with Bilstein HD's and no iso's and the ride was pretty harsh I also had Bilstein HD's and Eibach pro's on my vert with no iso's and the ride was harsh. I pulled the iso's to get the drop I wanted but am not happy with ride quality. I realize it's a lowered car for those of you about to flame me lol. I talked extensively with the guy at MM and he told me the Tokikos and H&R's will give a bad ride that the only way to go is Bilstein but they are too expensive this time and I already bought the Tokiko's. I was just looking for another option. I know some will say it is ghetto but some have had good results with the cutting. Just wondered what your experience may have been. Any help appreciated and don't bash me too hard I am just doing research. Sorry for long post. Thanks.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Put some poly isos in and the ride will improve.

cutting the stockers = teh ghey
There ARE some stock springs for sale in the market section on page 2 or so in the suspension area.

Just keep the Tokico's install some H&R SS's with poly isos and wa-la. nice ride and great stance. That's the same setup i have.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ya was gonna go with the SS and the polys but the guy at Maximum Motorsports said the SS suck as they have too soft a spring rate and that there is no truth to the thinking that the poly iso's are gonna give a little bit higher ride height then the OEM's I have seen alot of guys go this route but he is supposed to know his stuff. How would you describe your ride quality and have you had any other spring/dampner combos with which to compare?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
poly isos will deff raise the car more than the old, flattened, rubber stock isos.

My ride is great, I'm very happy with it, and it sits exactly the way i wanted.

I've has FRPP C springs and Energy Suspension Springs (real nice quality).

I love my h&Rs, the only way i'd change would be with coilovers.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok yes I understand the poly's will raise more than old OEM's I was referring to new never used OEM's and as for the SS's I may have to try it. Thanks.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ya was gonna go with the SS and the polys but the guy at Maximum Motorsports said the SS suck as they have too soft a spring rate and that there is no truth to the thinking that the poly iso's are gonna give a little bit higher ride height then the OEM's I have seen alot of guys go this route but he is supposed to know his stuff. How would you describe your ride quality and have you had any other spring/dampner combos with which to compare?

Too soft for what?

Softer springs = better ride.

You need to decide what you want out of the car and your use for it.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
^^^^ OK here goes lol I don't intend to drag the car may try an AutoX once or twice but not yet just want it to not look like a 4X4. I just use if for cruising and the occasional but very rare stop light romp lol. I do carry passengers to events and on road trips so the ride quality and look is what is most important. As for too soft for what? The guy at MM tech line said SS springs have too soft a spring rate for the amount of available travel on our cars. He said I needed to go with the H&R Race spring and Bilstein HD's were the only shock/strut capable of controling the springs that the Tokiko blues wouldn't do it. He said the SS springs are their most returned spring and then people get the Race. I had the combo he suggested and it sucked for ride qauality however I had no iso's I must admit and he said that's the problem. Either way I don't have the funds to get this combo again as it is $744.00 plus shipping. I considered the SS springs with the blues and poly's to get ride height I wanted and quality do to softer spring rates but he said I would be sitting on the bump stops almost all the time and ride would suck. I don't know which way to go as he is supposed to be a knowledgeable guy from a respected vendor. What do you think?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
IDK,
I've tried all the springs over the years and always come back to the Pro-kit for a good all around spring.
The do well on the road course, cut 1.8 60' on street tires and ride decent and decent drop.

I found the SS ride good but as said do lack a little in handling but give a better look.

I always found race springs were a bit to harsh for me and too stiff for good weight transfer.

I still don't think stock cut springs are the answer. I find they ride horrible. Some say they like the ride but I'll bet they haven't road/driven many different set ups to feel the difference.

Bottom line is you will have to sacrifice somewhere and settle for a happy medium. You won't get good handling, weight transfer, right drop and good ride out of 1 spring.

Pick what means most to you and go with that.

I'd say stick with the pro-kit and try a different shock combo.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
IDK,
I've tried all the springs over the years and always come back to the Pro-kit for a good all around spring.
The do well on the road course, cut 1.8 60' on street tires and ride decent and decent drop.

I found the SS ride good but as said do lack a little in handling but give a better look.

I always found race springs were a bit to harsh for me and too stiff for good weight transfer.

I still don't think stock cut springs are the answer. I find they ride horrible. Some say they like the ride but I'll bet they haven't road/driven many different set ups to feel the difference.

Bottom line is you will have to sacrifice somewhere and settle for a happy medium. You won't get good handling, weight transfer, right drop and good ride out of 1 spring.

Pick what means most to you and go with that.

I'd say stick with the pro-kit and try a different shock combo.

Ya I have Tokiko HP Blues on the way I am going to try those first before anything else. I have the stock shocks and struts in it with 106k so they are worked I know but it really doesn't ride all that bad right now and sits right in the rear the front is just a little too high for me. I may pull one iso out I think the bottom one and see how it does. Any other info or opinions would be appreciated. I was just thinking about the cut stockers because I understand they are linear and might have given a better ride quality (closer to stock as that is what they are). I can't really say I can remember what stock felt like as I have had 4 Cobras now and haven't had a stock ride height car since 03 but was just gonna try it maybe if I found some cheap springs to cut up. It's not hard to swap expecially when they are shorter lol. Thanks keep the opinions coming.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm FAR from sitting on the bumpstops. The ride in my car is perfect, imo.. I don't like the springs too stiff, I like a smoother ride.
I can't believe MM told you You'd be sitting on the bumpstop.
I got about 476392046698 pics if you feel the need to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread