Anyone have an A/C Compressor how to?

A/C Compressor is making horrible noise and a burnt smell is coming from that area.

Does anyone have an A?C Compressor how to? Couldn't find anything on a search.

Thanks

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
How to what? You have to replace compressor plus replace expansion tube, accumilator and have everything blown out. Then vacuum pump and recharged

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Replacing the ac comp is very easy to do, three bolts, one connector, one bolt for the ac lines and a drive belt. Now making sure the system is clean and free of debris from the previous failed comp is another thing. Replace the orifice tube and accumulator and flush out (they make special flushing fluid) the condensor and evaporator. Dont forget to replace the oil lost from flushing the sytem and replacing parts. Some comps come prefilled with oil and some dont, also 1-2 oz of oil for each part replaced.

Replacing the ac comp is very easy to do, three bolts, one connector, one bolt for the ac lines and a drive belt. Now making sure the system is clean and free of debris from the previous failed comp is another thing. Replace the orifice tube and accumulator and flush out (they make special flushing fluid) the condensor and evaporator. Dont forget to replace the oil lost from flushing the sytem and replacing parts. Some comps come prefilled with oil and some dont, also 1-2 oz of oil for each part replaced.

Thanks for your input. What kind of oil should be put in the compressor? I ordered a new one from Ford and I don't believe it comes with oil.

mustang john

Established Member
Thanks for your input. What kind of oil should be put in the compressor? I ordered a new one from Ford and I don't believe it comes with oil.

I just bought Ford PAG oil but any over the shelf PAG oil should be fine. How much was the new comp? When mine went recently i bought a new one from Ford for about $180 but it didnt include any of the clutch parts which i knew where damaged when it locked up. Ford didnt sell a complete clutch assembly and to peice it together was gonna cost me another $250! I returned the comp to Ford and ended up buying a new aftermarket Murray brand comp complete with clutch and everything for $170 with a 2 year warranty from OReillys.

I just bought Ford PAG oil but any over the shelf PAG oil should be fine. How much was the new comp? When mine went recently i bought a new one from Ford for about $180 but it didnt include any of the clutch parts which i knew where damaged when it locked up. Ford didnt sell a complete clutch assembly and to peice it together was gonna cost me another $250! I returned the comp to Ford and ended up buying a new aftermarket Murray brand comp complete with clutch and everything for $170 with a 2 year warranty from OReillys.

Thanks for the additional information on the oil. :beer:

I'm not a fan of remanufactured units. I guess you could say I don't have confidence in their reliability yet. So I bought a new assembly with clutch from Tousley Ford. Final price with shipping came out to $269.42.

mustang john

Established Member
Thanks for the additional information on the oil. :beer:

I'm not a fan of remanufactured units. I guess you could say I don't have confidence in their reliability yet. So I bought a new assembly with clutch from Tousley Ford. Final price with shipping came out to $269.42.

Yeah reman AC comps are crap but this is a brand new aftermarket unit, not a reman. That and i figured with a 2 year warranty it couldnt be too bad especially for the price. Hell the Ford unit only carried a 1 year warranty.

Yeah reman AC comps are crap but this is a brand new aftermarket unit, not a reman. That and i figured with a 2 year warranty it couldnt be too bad especially for the price. Hell the Ford unit only carried a 1 year warranty.

Gotcha. Do you have a link for that Murray AC compr you went with? I wasn't aware that we had alternatives.

No link, just walked into my local OReillys and they had it in stock. lol

I was curious if you thought its just better to buy a new condenser and evaporator? I mean can you remove the debris successfully with the flush? If I don't remove all the debris then I run the risk of destroying this new compressor, correct?

mustang john

Established Member
I was curious if you thought its just better to buy a new condenser and evaporator? I mean can you remove the debris successfully with the flush? If I don't remove all the debris then I run the risk of destroying this new compressor, correct?

You should be able to flush the evap and condensor just fine as long as a ton of metal wasnt put into the system. The condensor i would say is more likely to have more debris in it and more likely to get clogged since it is the first component that the refrigerant runs through after the compressor. The flush can be bought at most parts stores and you run it through the components with compressed air so it usually work well and wont damage any of the lines or other parts in the system.

If it were mine i would flush the parts out and reuse due to cost since im a broke mofo lol, but as tech for a high end dealership i would sell parts replacements since there is much less chance of a come back with new parts and time is money for me.

Last edited:
You should be able to flush the evap and condensor just fine as long as a ton of metal wasnt put into the system. The condensor i would say is more likely to have more debris in it and more likely to get clogged since it is the first component that the refrigerant runs through after the compressor. The flush can be bought at most parts stores and you run it through the components with compressed air so it usually work well and wont damage any of the lines or other parts in the system.

If it were mine i would flush the parts out and reuse due to cost since im a broke mofo lol, but as tech for a high end dealership i would sell parts replacements since there is much less chance of a come back with new parts and time is money for me.

:lol:

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. :beer:

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
Same thing happened to me yesterday while data logging, smell something burning and turns out its the ac clutch. I was also debating on flushing everything, guess it couldn't hurt.

Same thing happened to me yesterday while data logging, smell something burning and turns out its the ac clutch. I was also debating on flushing everything, guess it couldn't hurt.

The outer, thin plate on my compressor is vibrating badly, thus creating all the racket. Was under there today observing the plate vibrate.

Weird burning smell from mine as well. Thankfully the accessory belt is intact. But strangely enough hat AC continues to blow out cold air.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
The outer, thin plate on my compressor is vibrating badly, thus creating all the racket. Was under there today observing the plate vibrate.

Weird burning smell from mine as well. Thankfully the accessory belt is intact. But strangely enough hat AC continues to blow out cold air.

you'd probably just get away with replacing the clutch... when you get to the orifice tube you'll be able to figure out how much stuff is in the system... and as a FYI.. the evap replacement is a 6-8 hour job ... :rockon:

GNX423

Established Member
If you pull the orifice tube (usually located in the line leading to the evap) you can tell if there is debris in the system. the tube has a screen on both ends and will clog up with material if present. If the tube is clean, you are likely fine to replace the compressor and needed oil amount.
You will need a new orifice tube as well, they are under $5.

Good luck with it.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread