Anyone have a good How-To on automotive painting?

FunkyBoss

Established Member
The clearcoat on my bumper has been fading away and chipping off since I bought the car, so I'm planing on repainting the bumpers myself. I have a 10 gallon, 2 hp air compressor that should be sufficient enough, and I have a good idea on how to do it, but I would like a good how-to for reference. Anyone got anything? Thanks in advance!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well my buddy and I painted my foxbody by ourselves and while we had a lil bit bigger setup then you here is the deal. Prep work is key. Dont skimp on it. We sanded all the clear off from the old color. Laid down a few coats of primer and sanded it, then we wetsanded. Also buy a quality 2 part primer. When u go to apply the paint do it light and even. No need to put it on there all thick the first coat. Just take ur time. The thing about spraying is having a system. Like always start in the same place and paint it the same way every time.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
I think it would be easier to go to the library and check out a book on this. I painted my 91 gt and it turned out awesome, however there is a lot involved. The key is the prep work.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I will certainly take my time on this project and do some more homework before jumping into it.

Users who are viewing this thread