Anyone have a clear bra

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
Im thinkin about gettin a clear bra on the hood,lights, fenders, bumper. rear bumper behind tires and side skirt, Just wonderin if there are any people that have these and if there are any brands to stay away from? Post pics if you have some.

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
Previous owner put it all over my 03 SB....

I honestly only noticed it on the hood, I dislike the line it leaves there as they went about 1/3 up the hood and you can see the line, it looks like a scratch or imperfection.

They also did the entire front bumper, the side skirts, up to the first body line on the doors and fenders and also a large spot on the 1/4 panels behind the rear tires.
All of that, you could not tell it was there until I washed the car for the first time and I noticed it. I was going to pull the hood one off, but I figure I should just leave it as I would rather deal with the line than a bunch of chips in the hood.

Sorry no pics to show anything b/c as I said, you really can't notice it on the car.

BTW, I am almost positive it is the 3M stuff on there....

Tractionless1

Established Member
Won't do the front as price for 3M + install is almost $700. I am not about to attempt it myself. I have done behind my rear tires and a couple other rock catching hot spots I have found. I do the have Cobra heads and fogs done which keeps the lenses looking new as well.

I have also done the front of my '00 GSXR, it was a real PITA and why I don't attempt it on the Cobra. When I go on the highway I simply slap the $80 bra on it.

I would only stick with 3m, I tried some other brands and they are much harder to work with. Try this link Car stickers and decals, racing stripe graphic sticker decal for you car or truck I have ordered from them numerous times with great customer service.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
i had a fully custom kit done on my cobra, not the pre-cut kit. i had my hood, fenders, front bumper, mirrors, behind the front tire, and behind the rear tires

it was done by a professional installer, who came to my house and did it in my garage, took him 2 days, 8 hours each day

all in all, its the best $800 i've spent towards my car yet, and i am very happy that, that was my first mod!! :rockon:

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1871-1.jpg

IMG_1866-1.jpg

IMG_1867-1.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
I have the front bumper, hood, and behind the rear tires done with 3M. The hood is most noticeable, but the bumper and behind the rear tires you don't really notice at all. IMO

Last edited:

Cooter9250

Established Member
I had the 3m kit installed on my SB as well. I used the 3m website and found a certified installer in my area. He did my cobra and my Father's E55 in about 5 hours. I think it was about $750 per car. No one notices it unless i point it out. IMO it is the best investment you can make for your car.

SpectorV

Established Member
does it actually protect from chips though? Is it thick enough to keep a regular sized rock that is usually thrown up onto a car while driving from eating through the plastic protection layer? That would be my question.

Its like people who put painters tape on their vehicle, it wont take much to go right through that tape and take out some paint~ so... I would want to know how good is it before I spent the money to have a rock chip and a plastic tear instead of just a rock chip.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I was looking at the 3M stuff for my Cobra awhile back. Quickly decided against it as it was pretty pricey and I heard a bunch of horror stories of it yellowing after awile if not installed right and it always having that line in your hood like someone else mentioned.

I ended up just buying the front leather bra from the Stealership for $150 and it's easy on and off in 2 minutes. That keeps my front protected while driving on the highway.

My advice to you is that if you do get it, don't go looking for the cheapest price or installer. This is a perfect example of you pay for what you get. I think a good installer could do a good job without you worrying about it peeling off or yellowing after a year.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
does it actually protect from chips though? Is it thick enough to keep a regular sized rock that is usually thrown up onto a car while driving from eating through the plastic protection layer? That would be my question.

Its like people who put painters tape on their vehicle, it wont take much to go right through that tape and take out some paint~ so... I would want to know how good is it before I spent the money to have a rock chip and a plastic tear instead of just a rock chip.

I have had something hit hard enough to go through, in fact it left a very slight nick in the bumper. We have it on 4 of our vehicles, and the Cobra has been the only "casualty". Don't know if that helps in your decision.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
came on mine when i bought it, it think it's great. I would certainly do it if it wasn't already done. The line on the hood gets a few strange looks now and then, but much better that a bunch of rock chips.

postalbunny

Established Member
Just FYI my mom's mini had this done to it and it's a 2 year old car. No idea what brand, but it didn't yellow etc. Only problem is it's noticeable on the hood... looks like a scratch going across the top.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Honestly that "scratch" looking seam would bother me way more than a few rock chips, which can be touched up. If it gets bad enough, I'd rather just repaint the whole thing with a better quality paint job anyway. I was looking at some brand new cars in the Honda showroom last week while having my wife's inspection done, and it looked really bad to me on brand new cars in the showroom. I kind of see that stuff as being like people that put a slipcover on a brand new sofa "to protect it from wear" - what's the point? The ONLY way I'd even consider it, is if they could cover the entire hood, so that it has a seamless finish!

jwlightning

Established Member
Honestly that "scratch" looking seam would bother me way more than a few rock chips, which can be touched up. If it gets bad enough, I'd rather just repaint the whole thing with a better quality paint job anyway. I was looking at some brand new cars in the Honda showroom last week while having my wife's inspection done, and it looked really bad to me on brand new cars in the showroom. I kind of see that stuff as being like people that put a slipcover on a brand new sofa "to protect it from wear" - what's the point? The ONLY way I'd even consider it, is if they could cover the entire hood, so that it has a seamless finish!

Indeed that can be done! I've seen it first hand. Makes the price go up even more though. Your thinking is the reason I do not have one.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
agreed, the hood line would bug me, but the bumpers and such where there isnt a seam would be ok. seems awfull expensive, ill just not follow so close and take my chances

Users who are viewing this thread