Anyone good with Home plumbing? Have a problem.

John4cam

Established Member
I figured I'd ask in here since there's so much traffic and I really don't know a good plumber.

I have a bathroom downstairs and upstairs. After moving into my home 1-1/2 years ago, when the upstairs toilet would be flushed, there would be some light strange sounds coming from the pipes. This would happen say every 6 flushes. Eventually it grew to a full blown hum from the time you flushed until the fill valve was done filling the tank.

I did a litte searching and found that fill valves will often cause this. I went to lowes and bought a new fill valve and replaced it. The sound virtually went away until a couple days ago. My downstairs toilet was flushed and it started back up! 30 days it never made the sound once, and now it's back at it. I thought about replacing the fill valve again, and possibly the one on the downstairs as well. I have read water heaters can do this, fill valves, flush valves, shutoff valves, or it could be water hammer which I don't think it is.

Has anyone ever had this problem or have any ideas what it could be?:shrug: Thanks for any input!!:beer:

=04 Cobra Nut=

Crazy Construction Guy
Established Member
The problem is coming from the toilet or the pipes leading to the toilet? I lived in my house for 6 years, put in a lawn irrigation system and when on the pipes would hum with the running of water, in any condition ie. shower, toilet, clothes washer, etc.. Al I did was add a wye in the line heading into the house and added a shutoff leading to the outside irrigation. This was before the reverse check and before the pressure regulator.

I ended up turning the pressure on the regulator up slightly and the sound went away. I tried going the other way and reducing the pressure inside the house a bit, but it didn't fix the problem. All I can figure is that when the sprinkler was running the pressure dropped till it was resonant in the pipes.

That is my pipe noise story. Don't know if it will help or not, but is worth a try. Do NOT crank the pressure way up or your fixtures will drip, run on and such. You're not trying to overpower the washers!

Dave

John4cam

Established Member
The problem is coming from the toilet or the pipes leading to the toilet? I lived in my house for 6 years, put in a lawn irrigation system and when on the pipes would hum with the running of water, in any condition ie. shower, toilet, clothes washer, etc.. Al I did was add a wye in the line heading into the house and added a shutoff leading to the outside irrigation. This was before the reverse check and before the pressure regulator.

I ended up turning the pressure on the regulator up slightly and the sound went away. I tried going the other way and reducing the pressure inside the house a bit, but it didn't fix the problem. All I can figure is that when the sprinkler was running the pressure dropped till it was resonant in the pipes.

That is my pipe noise story. Don't know if it will help or not, but is worth a try. Do NOT crank the pressure way up or your fixtures will drip, run on and such. You're not trying to overpower the washers!

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion! My regulator was pushing over 130psi a little while after I moved in, so i replaced it. Now it sits at what people say "normal", 45psi.

I'll have to tweak my reg. pressure, mabey 10 psi increments.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
130 is way too much. :eek:

60 is what cities want you running at up to 80 is plenty fine on modern fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread