Anyone gone from coupe to vert?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I'm really considering selling (or trading) my 03 Cobra Couple and looking for a 03 or 04 vert. Anyone done this?

Do the downsides (more weight, more flexible chasis) outweigh the upsides (its a vert)!

I don't really race much, and don't plan on it so the extra weight taking .1 or .2 off QM doesn't bother me, but I'm concerned it will hurt the car pretty bad in the twisties?

What do you guys think?

Also, how much can you get a new or used (10k miles or less) vert for?

Stupid idea?

I like the coupe, but cruising w/ the top down on sunny days just seems so fun.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by gmynko
Do what I did if you can - keep your coupe and buy a vert. And then look in your garage with great admiration.
I would love to do that but im not gonna pay insurance on 2 cobras !

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
:beer: :D :beer:

I went from an '88 LX 5.0 Hatch (in '89) to a '95 Cobra Coupe (in '96) to an '03 Cobra Ragtop (in'02).

The convertible tops them all. There is nothing like an open top with a powerful motor. Almost as much freedom as a strong motorcycle.

But, I had to get use to the shake 'n bake compared to the hardtops. I even have subframes, jacking rails and cross matrix braces (from KB).

I'd still pick the ragtop, especially with the good weather here. All your troubles quickly float away!

:beer: :D :beer:

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Is the chasis flex / cowl shake etc really that much worse? If so I won't do it, it just doesn't make sense to pay more money for a car that weighs more and has that much of an issue over the coupe.

Vert seems sweet but is the difference really noticable?

whtsnake03

Established Member
I've only owned 'verts so I can't compare to coupes. I can say that there is nothing finer than cruising through the mountains on a warm sunny summer day with the top down, the music cranked up, and the wind blowing through whats left of my hair. Just don't forget to keep a bottle of sun screen in the glove compartment. The convertible tops today are much more refined than on my first 'vert, which was an 88 GT.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Originally posted by whtsnake03
I've only owned 'verts so I can't compare to coupes. I can say that there is nothing finer than cruising through the mountains on a warm sunny summer day with the top down, the music cranked up, and the wind blowing through whats left of my hair. Just don't forget to keep a bottle of sun screen in the glove compartment. The convertible tops today are much more refined than on my first 'vert, which was an 88 GT.
:beer: Im the same in that I've only owned verts.A 93 gt,01 gt,02 gt,03 cobra.Unfortunatley Im also the same in the hair department:cryying: lol.Seriously though I have run side by side with hard top cobras with the same power.There isnt that much difference in the weight and you can do a little weight reduction to get closer.Just make sure you have like 5hp more and you'll be fine.lol

venomous99

Established Member
i also made the switch from convertible(99cobra) to my present coupe(03 cobra).
the verts do have their advantages of having top down on those nice summer night and being able to show off like you're a bad ass

the chassis flex, less handling performance, rattles were enough to get rid of it in favor of a coupe. i love my coupe and would not go back to the vert especially on a 400hp+ car.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
With the top down, the convertible Terminator is truly one of the finest looking verts that has been made IMO.......Feel that with the top up, the coupe is a better/cleaner looking car. But, I was all set for a vert but the increased cost and increased cost of insurance pushed me away. And, as mentioned above, there is a performacne issue, however slight it may be......

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by gmynko
Do what I did if you can - keep your coupe and buy a vert. And then look in your garage with great admiration.

:thumbsup:

His

Hers

Last edited:

jimh

Established Member
Verts are great. Get a GOOD set of weld in frame connectors and it's fine. My 2k GT was a ver and it had 45000 miles before I traded it in on the Cobra. I had Global West frame connectors welded in right after I bought it. Car was rattle, creak, and squeak free when I traded it in. With the frame connectors you'll probably barely notice unless you're really into racing. Frame connectors made a huge difference. I could feel the difference driving out of the shop.

Unless I'm building an all out car I'll only go vert. I never liked them at all before the mustangs.

Go test drive one on a nice day with the top down. You'll never look back.

jim

Last edited:

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
definatly go the vert ! i went from a 2001 gt coupe to my 99 cobra vert, then when i was looking to get a 03 cobra i drove both coupes and verts... but couldnt get me out of goin the vert route...you might loose a little stiffness bt well worth it! on those hot summer days you will be a happy camper! best slogan...:
TOP DOWN , CHROME SPINNIN' , SEE THE BOSS GRINNIN!. (boss as in all the fine a$$ girls that will be droolingwhen you pull up! )

Users who are viewing this thread