Anyone getting a repeating clunking/grinding in the front end when turning full lock?

vankuen

Established Member
I've got this problem with my 2011 in the cold weather. Whenever it's been sitting in 40 or below weather for a while, I turn the wheel to pull out of my space, when I roll forward or backward on either side I get this clunking or grinding noise in what seems the strut tower area--happens over and over--clunk...clunk...clunk. The car even vibrates each time through the steering. The car will do this until the chassis warms up a bit. Then isn't a problem.

Does anyone have the same issue? Any northerners who drive their car in the cold?

CPRsm

Could be the pump. The pressure REALLY spike when it hits lock to lock. That and cold fluid could be a reason. Have someone turn it with your hand on the pump. See if you can feel the noise your hearing.

01 SN8K

Established Member
I've got this problem with my 2011 in the cold weather. Whenever it's been sitting in 40 or below weather for a while, I turn the wheel to pull out of my space, when I roll forward or backward on either side I get this clunking or grinding noise in what seems the strut tower area--happens over and over--clunk...clunk...clunk. The car even vibrates each time through the steering. The car will do this until the chassis warms up a bit. Then isn't a problem.

Does anyone have the same issue? Any northerners who drive their car in the cold?

I have the same problem with my 2011. I haven't figured it out yet. Ill keep you updated if I hear anything. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with this problem.

01 SN8K

Established Member
Could be the pump. The pressure REALLY spike when it hits lock to lock. That and cold fluid could be a reason. Have someone turn it with your hand on the pump. See if you can feel the noise your hearing.

The OP has a 2011 so no steering pumps. We have the EPAS.

vankuen

Established Member
Yep. Electric. I can't think of what it could be...whatever it is it doesn't manifest after a bit of driving. But initially after cold weather sitting it will clunk over and again with just letting the clutch out and rolling.

I missed my chance to take it to the dealer because it's warm out again and the day I was going to take it they closed down everything because of the ice / snow.

I'll have to wait for the next cold front. But in the meantime...anyone else?

DocHolliday

I'm your huckleberry
Established Member
Are the cars lowered? It could be the upper strut mounts. When the OEM upper strut mounts begin to fail they can make a popping sound.

sikryd

Established Member
I think that TSB is more for the car pulling whilst driving on uneven road work.

Does anyone know the site that the TSB's are posted on? All I can ever find is the TSB's for Ford Trucks

Last edited:

10thsilversnk

Established Member

Both mine and my wife's 11's are doing the same thing in cold weather.

Users who are viewing this thread