Anyone from illinois near safb

96cobranick

Established Member
Im from utah and i am moving near Scott afb and was wondering if they had any close tracks and what the car scene was like out there. Also was wondering on what kind of emmission laws they had out there

Here is a pic of my car

m_2450251a9759baae1a12534d26290a53.jpg

m_c75dc8adc4da9025e9fe870475d392b7.jpg

m_cd9292f6c46012d3023a3b0798bef0ee.jpg

Last edited:

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I can't tell you about the AFB but I can tell you about the emission laws. In Illinois, if you car is 95 or older you are exempt from emissions. If you have a 96 or newer, you have to take emissions. They only do an OBD scan and no gas cap or dyno testing anymore. If you pass the OBD test you're free. Make sure you have a good tune and if you're catless, make sure the rear 02's are off and you're golden.

I passed the emission test with my 03 Cobra with an off-road Prochamber and Mac 3" cat back....making ALL kinds of racket. Welcome, and post more pics!!

Check out Chicago SVT too!!

-Mike

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I live about 40min from Scott AFB.....I think the guy above answered the emission pretty well above however as far being down here in "Southern Illinois" They have never required me to have any type of emissions test performed on any vehicle. I had an O/R X and Bassani Mufflers on my Mach and no problems.

As far as the tracks....1/4 mile wise I think St. Louis is prob your best bet. I think it's Gateway Speedway. I might need to be corrected on that but nothing else comes to mind. There is an 1/8th mile track - I57 Drag strip in Benton, IL. There might be some other close to STL as well.

Hope this helps and GL with the move!

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Emissions depend on your county you live in, I think all of the Chicago Area has emissions. I live in Central Area (Springfield) we don't test. I am sure there are some good tuners in St. Louis area. the best one in the are that i know of is Anderson Ford in Clinton. they do tons of magazine tests for 5.0 and MMFF.

Edit: oh yeah you also have to run a front plate if you register it here. I see your from Utah. if you don't run a front plate there. i would leave the registration in Utah for as long as you can. Just put your addy down at a relatives house for the registration. Also the police do not like Tint here either. 90% they wont bother you, if they pull you over they will most often give you a warning. BUT there is good news that they are running through the legislature right now that will allow some tint (not limousine dark) to be used

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Emissions depend on your county you live in, I think all of the Chicago Area has emissions. I live in Central Area (Springfield) we don't test. I am sure there are some good tuners in St. Louis area. the best one in the are that i know of is Anderson Ford in Clinton. they do tons of magazine tests for 5.0 and MMFF.

Edit: oh yeah you also have to run a front plate if you register it here. I see your from Utah. if you don't run a front plate there. i would leave the registration in Utah for as long as you can. Just put your addy down at a relatives house for the registration. Also the police do not like Tint here either. 90% they wont bother you, if they pull you over they will most often give you a warning. BUT there is good news that they are running through the legislature right now that will allow some tint (not limousine dark) to be used

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME WITH THE TINT!!!!

I have 20% on truck front side windows....I can't get away from it. I love it so much. There is one State Ride in town that don't like it and has told me twice in the last year. I ran about 6 years without a front plate and he also informed me of that too so I put it on! Full recommendation on leaving it registered in Utah if at all possible! lol

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Yes, Gateway raceway is your closest and best bet for a track, i wanna say Scott is like 45 mins from STL, so you might want to check out the local mustang forums STLmustangs. you get the rest. There is a guy who lives down in Desloge Mo which is 40 miles south of STL named Bobcat on the forums who does EXCELLENT tuning and is a great guy, reasonable pricing that is where most people get their stuff done at.

Users who are viewing this thread